The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   LR Baggs Anthem vs. Anthem SL (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230853)

Shades of Blue 10-19-2011 06:51 AM

LR Baggs Anthem vs. Anthem SL

In my search for a pickup system for my Martin SWOMGT, it was recommended to me on another thread to look into the Anthem. Well, when I saw $300 I looked away, but, I didn't realize there was an "SL" version for $200.

This makes it much more affordable, but what would I be losing from the regular Anthem? The SL still has a volume and a mix control on the remote, but would I be missing out by not spending the extra $100? I still need to have some cash to have it installed so the $300 version is unattainable at this point.

I have an LR Baggs Para DI that I would use with this for all my EQ and output needs.

mchalebk 10-19-2011 07:08 AM

The Anthem SL version does not have a Mix control, just a mic level control. This simply raises or lowers the level of the mic to better balance it with the under saddle pickup. The full Anthem system has the Mic Level control plus the Mix control.

Shades of Blue 10-19-2011 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mchalebk (Post 2797494)
The Anthem SL version does not have a Mix control, just a mic level control. This simply raises or lowers the level of the mic to better balance it with the under saddle pickup. The full Anthem system has the Mic Level control plus the Mix control.

oh that is definitely something to think about! So I'm assuming that the system doesn't sound good with all UST or all mic, so would the SL give me enough control to still sound great?

mchalebk 10-19-2011 08:00 AM

The way the Anthem is designed, you can never have "all mic"; the max mic setting on the full system uses the mic for all the frequencies over about 250 Hz (if I remember correctly) and the Element UST covers the lower frequencies. As you dial in less mic, the Element covers more and more of the upper frequencies. Basically, the UST always covers the lower frequencies and the Mix control allows you to go from all mic to all UST for the upper frequencies.

I believe the SL system is set with a fixed Mix setting that has the mic cover all the upper freqs and the UST the lower.

I would think the SL would work well for lots of guitars, but it's hard to say how well it would work for any one particular guitar until you try it.

El Conquistador 10-19-2011 09:44 AM

For a complete discussion of this very question, use the search function on this forum. There are lots of threads going over this.

Steve

jseth 10-19-2011 12:54 PM

Shades -

I would suggest calling Baggs and talking with Brian (the tech there). That's what I did when I was picking between the 2 systems; I opted for the SL version, thanks to Brian's explanation of the differences between the two.

The SL has a "fixed" crossover for the division of signal output between the mic and the UST... set at 250 hz, although the UST is a "soft shelf" and does cover some frequencies above 250, just not much. There is a small set screw to adjust "how much" mic is mixed in to the output... it's pretty much a "set it and forget it" type of adjustment, if you are playing through the same PA system. Brian did say that it's critical to get the proper adjustment to achieve optimum performance.

As I understand it, the "full" Anthem version has an adjustable crossover point, allowing for the UST to cover EVERYTHING and taking the mic out of the mix entirely; this would be for those times (like with a full band at loud volumes) when the UST alone would be desired. The full Anthem also has a battery life indicator, as well as adjustments for mic/UST mix and volume.

I like the SL version in my guitars, although I feel that some aspect of the pick-up has changed the un-plugged volume and tone of the guitars, albeit slightly. They aren't "fool-proof", but they're darn close to "plug in and play", which is my preference for live performances.

Hope this helps a bit!

play on......................................>

John

icaro738 08-02-2016 09:01 PM

Importante Question About Lr BaggsAnthem SL

Guys, is it possible to change the standard blend on Anthem SL ? anyone knows how to do it? There is no store in my city which sell it....so i'm asking to you.

Sorry for the english...i'm learning! Thank you so much!

jseth 08-02-2016 11:02 PM

Yes, you can change the "blend" between the under-saddle (Element) and the True-Mic; the control is the tiny inset screw next to the volume wheel. Clockwise brings in more of the True-Mic and counterclockwise the Element.

However, the signal reproduction of the Element remains fixed at frequencies from 180 hz and lower, so you can't use only the Element, as you'd hear mostly bass...

I have the SL on both my 6 and 12 string Mark Angus acoustics, and I have the balance set at nearly 50%-50%, maybe a bit more of the Element. I've had mine since this thread started, and they are still working just fine!

dberkowitz 08-04-2016 07:29 AM

The Anthem SL is my go-to, plug-n-play pickup of choice. For the person who either doesn't have the means or inclination to purchase the outboard gear necessary to have a K&K behave well on stage, for me its the best compromise. The pickup is only the transducer, and remarkably most systems are really inexpensive -- its the rest of the signal chain that determines how well it will sound, and how well it will behave on stage, and too many people short this end of the signal chain.

icaro738 08-04-2016 02:18 PM

Thank you, guys. I'm brazilian, here everything is really really expensive. i wish the lr baggs anthem, but if the SL does the work...awesome, is in a very very good price. so...i'm not losing if i get the SL, right? someone of you, guys has a a review in video or sound strumming open chords with it?

Hotspur 08-04-2016 03:00 PM

Maybe people prefer the SL because it's not putting as much stuff on your soundboard.

The primary advantage of the non-Sl version is flexibility. If you want a lot of tru-mic on one song, and almost all element on the next, the non-SL is a better choice. Otherwise, you probably will prefer the SL.

Petty1818 08-04-2016 05:28 PM

I had the SL version in my guitar but if I were to do it again, I would get the full anthem. I can see why people like the SL, but I personally found the tru-mic to dominate the signal to an unpleasant level. There is the adjustment screw but it's hard to dial in. I would have liked to be able to mix all the way to the element and slowly bring in the mic to see what I liked best.

icaro738 08-04-2016 06:38 PM

i think i got it

The SL has a good natural sound ? i hate that "quack" sound of piezo, i'm running away from it.

i watched this videos:

( SL ) (3:10 he will start to play) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLOxrGTXkVo

(FULL ANTHEM ) ( 3:45 he will...) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPbxRKo2Cag

It's possible to hear a lot of difference between them.
my main point is: to who wants a natural sound, the SL worth the money or only the full anthem does the good job? Thinking on the prices too, cuz those $ 100 will be missed a lot, cuz i will pay in Brazilian coin (reais). but i don't want to regret after buy.

Thank you, guys! you are helping a lot!

jseth 08-04-2016 08:18 PM

The SL does a fine job with both my hand-made acoustics, a 6 and a 12 string. They sound great strummed, picked or a combination of the two!

It really DOES matter if your amplifier/PA is a good one, though...

I could have had the full Anthem, but really did not want that huge preamp mounted on my soundboard... it's the size of a small piece of pie, for goodness sakes!

The full Anthem is the one to get IF you plan on playing very loud in a band setting (where you might want ONLY a full-range UST to resist feedback)... although you can adjust it in a lot of ways, it's actually confusing to many people... when I talked with the tech at Baggs, he asked me what I play (solo or duos, trios), he recommended the SL and I've been happy with it...

I play through a Bose L1 Model II PA or an AER Compact 60/2...

icaro738 08-04-2016 08:49 PM

I'm used to play to 800 hundred people at church, but we have a good sound system, really rare to get feedback, i don't even remember the last time that we have feedback issue:

(i'm the one with takamine jumbo)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

https://scontent.fgig1-4.fna.fbcdn.n...8d&oe=582700E7

Do you think the sl can handle it ?