The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   John Pearse silk and steel string tension. (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232815)

curbucci 11-09-2011 07:29 AM

John Pearse silk and steel string tension.

I am planning on trying out the John Pearse silk and steel 610LM (12-53). I currently have a set of the Elixir Polyweb lights (12-53) on the guitar I am planning to try the Pearse on.
Both sets have the same string guages on all six strings. I am assuming the Pearse, though not traditional silk and steels, will have less string tension than the Elixirs lights correct? Meaning a minor truss rod adjustment?

JohnnyDes 11-09-2011 05:48 PM

I'm pretty sure you're right, although I wouldn't touch the truss rod until you find that you're buzzing with the Pearses on.

FWIW - I found the Pearses nice, but they didn't last very long. GHS also makes a silk and bronze.

JD

StringMeUp 11-15-2011 08:29 PM

I just put some 510L Light Gauge Phosphor Bronze/Silk Wound stings on one of my guitars to try them out. I really like them, and give them :up: :up: The truss rod did not need to be adjusted. Let us know what you think of the 610LMs....

JCave 11-15-2011 08:42 PM

I'm seriously enjoying a fresh set of JP 710's. Something about new strings...

curbucci 11-15-2011 08:56 PM

Going to order the 610LM on Thursday to try out on a Guild GAD M20.

MWB5007 11-15-2011 09:10 PM

I use 610LMs on a 12 fret Taylor GC and there is less tension than with the similarly gauged Elixirs (which I have also used). I did make a slight adjustment to the neck after deciding to use the JPs for a while.

I also agree that they do not last as long as I'd like - certainly not as long as elixirs.

That said I like the 610LMs a great deal. I recently tried one set of Thomastik Infeld Plectrums in a .012 - .059 (this is right .059) gauge and they were as delightful to the touch as the 610LMs and but they had immense power, harmonic richness, volume, tone ....the only problem was that I could not bring the D string to tension for some reason so I restrung my old D string just to give the TIs a listen. I changed the strings out to have a new and better balanced set but I never really experienced how long the TIs lasted.

The TIs are really expensive (so I hope they last a bit) but I have ordered a couple more sets. From the little bit I heard of them I can say that both tone and touch were fantastic. I hope that I do not experience string failure again (perhaps I strung it wrong somehow but I have never experienced this problem before) and they might not be the quietest strings but I'd say if you really like the 610LMs you might try the Plectrums.

curbucci 11-19-2011 11:26 PM

Put on the John Pearse 610LM's today on my Guild GAD M20. Very happy. I like them better than the D'Addario EFT16 Flat Top and much better than the Elixer Polyweb lights I had on briefly. The 610LM's are very mellow sounding which is what I am looking for for the flesh and nail fingerpicking that I do.