The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Cost to replace an entire fingerboard? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327998)

Paultergeist 02-03-2014 01:49 PM

Cost to replace an entire fingerboard?

I am really afraid to even approach this question, but I have a moderately higher-end (3-5K range new) classical guitar which might (probably) need a new fingerboard. The issue is wrapage -- right down the center-line axis of the fingerboard; the frets are ever-so-slightly concave, making the guitar *feel* a bit harder to play. I had considered just having the fingerboard resurfaced to level and then re-fretted, but it also looks like the fingerboard might also be exterting some stress on the soundboard.

I am wondering if anyone on the forum has been down this road (having a fingerboard professionally replaced)? Given the initial cost of the instrument, I am a bit worried about having this done, and I may have to budget for this (or re-consider if it is even an expense I can absorb right now). The worst-case scenario would be to have it done at significant expense and THEN discover that doing so really impacted (negatively) the sound or finish of the instrument. Just trying to determine "where do I go from here?"

Thanks for any thoughts.

00-28 02-03-2014 01:53 PM

I would contact the builder or manufacturer. Even if you don't have a warranty, they may stand by their product. .....Mike

frank4001 02-03-2014 02:09 PM

Sorry, bad post but i can't delete...

DesertTwang 02-03-2014 02:25 PM

My first thought is, Is this the kind of damage I would expect in an instrument as expensive as this one to occur?

devellis 02-03-2014 02:27 PM

Fingerboards are fairly inexpensive (maybe $60) but labor isn't. And obviously a new fretboard means new frets. If the fingerboard is putting pressure on the top, might the neck angle have changed? If so, that's a whole other ballgame. Assuming the neck angle is okay, I'd guess you're looking at something in the neighborhood of $500 to $600 to remove the old board, fit and glue the new one, true it up and refret, but that's just a guess and could be off by a substantial amount. Things like fingerboard material, presence or absence of binding, fret material, and locality will all make a difference. The good news is, that if you get these issues put right, the guitar should play really well.

jmbstudios 02-03-2014 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00-28 (Post 3804962)
I would contact the builder or manufacturer. Even if you don't have a warranty, they may stand by their product. .....Mike

This!

:up:

ewh2 02-03-2014 02:38 PM

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=327011

Guest 1928 02-03-2014 02:58 PM

I would guess - cost of a refret + $200. Perhaps more depending the finish repair required. However, it can't just be the fretboard that is warping unless it is loose. The neck is moving with it and that might be the bigger problem.

Paultergeist 02-03-2014 03:11 PM

All,

Thank you for the helpful replies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00-28 (Post 3804962)

Good idea. I have just sent out an email. We'll see how he responds.

More information if/as I receive it.

Thanks again to all who responded to my query.

Wade Hampton 02-03-2014 03:34 PM

What it will cost will depend on what ultimately needs to be done to the guitar. As Todd wrote, just pulling the frets, planing the fingerboard and refretting it will cost less than having to replace the entire board.

Are you the original owner of the guitar? If so, this sounds like a warranty issue to me, and should be covered.

whm