The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   PLAY and Write (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   My First Guitar Song - Over 100 Easy Guitar Songs (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241058)

StevenF 02-06-2012 08:32 AM

My First Guitar Song - Over 100 Easy Guitar Songs

Hi everyone!

When I started playing the guitar I was constantly trying to think of songs I could play, which weren't too difficult. It meant listening to songs within my music library and then looking for the tabs to see how difficult the song was to play, only to find out that they were to difficult for my ability. So, to try and save new guitar players from doing the same, I have made a website which lists over 100 easy guitar songs for beginners.

http://www.myfirstguitarsong.com/

I will no doubt add more songs/tabs to the list in the future. I hope you find it useful!

Also, if there are any songs you think should be added to the list, please let me know and I will do so. Feel free to share with anyone you like!

naccoachbob 02-06-2012 11:24 AM

Steven,
Thanks for the site.
Bob

carl365 02-06-2012 12:01 PM

Also, if you Google "public domain guitar music" (or whatever instrument), you'll find many sites with hundreds of songs, many complete with notation, lyrics, chords and TABS.

phxguy 02-06-2012 01:25 PM

StevenF, that is a great idea! I might suggest "A Pirate Looks At Forty" by Jimmy Buffet. It is an easy song and the Jack Johnson version is really nice. "Catch the Wind" by Donovan is also I nice easy song and very recognizable.

chaoscat1 02-06-2012 03:33 PM

This link doesn't connect to a real website, but to some yahoo search site.

StevenF 02-06-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaoscat1 (Post 2926009)

That's strange, it works fine for me. Are you using the link in the first post?

Kindness 02-07-2012 12:51 PM

Very nice! Just one small suggestion...you might consider removing James Taylors Fire and Rain. His music requires a lot of technique that a beginner has not developed yet.

StevenF 02-07-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itself (Post 2927088)
Very nice! Just one small suggestion...you might consider removing James Taylors Fire and Rain. His music requires a lot of technique that a beginner has not developed yet.

Thank for your input! I will have a look at that tomorrow when I have access to a computer.

StevenF 02-07-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phxguy (Post 2925856)
StevenF, that is a great idea! I might suggest "A Pirate Looks At Forty" by Jimmy Buffet. It is an easy song and the Jack Johnson version is really nice. "Catch the Wind" by Donovan is also I nice easy song and very recognizable.

I'll a wee look at that tomorrow and add it to the list! If anyone has any other suggestion please feel free to comment!

GuitarPhan 02-09-2012 12:53 PM

Cool! Very helpful; a good list. Just FYI, you have (Take Me Home) Country Roads on there twice, and "Free Fallin'" listed twice - the second being by John Mayer.

StevenF 02-09-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuitarPhan (Post 2929224)
Cool! Very helpful; a good list. Just FYI, you have (Take Me Home) Country Roads on there twice, and "Free Fallin'" listed twice - the second being by John Mayer.

Thanks! I decided to put both versions in; John Mayer fingerpicking and Tom Petty a strumming version. I'll sort out Country Roads tomorrow and try get the others added!

mc1 02-09-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaoscat1 (Post 2926009)

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevenF (Post 2926260)
That's strange, it works fine for me. Are you using the link in the first post?

it's really a bunch of links to stuff at tabs.ultimate-guitar.com, isn't it? the value you are adding is to try and pull out the popular, easy songs, corrrect?

StevenF 02-10-2012 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mc1 (Post 2929653)
it's really a bunch of links to stuff at tabs.ultimate-guitar.com, isn't it? the value you are adding is to try and pull out the popular, easy songs, corrrect?

Exactly. It's designed to stop people spending hours of searching the internet for easy songs or beginner guitar tabs. Instead, just visit the website, look for a song you know, and get the tabs!

I was going to start including some links to some YouTube lessons, do you think that would be a good idea?

StevenF 02-11-2012 09:09 AM

I've update the list with ~10 more easy guitar songs.

Does anyone have any suggestions with regards to the way they are listed? Should I separate them into categories, genres etc.. or just leave them the way they are at the moment?

JBethany 02-15-2012 07:48 PM

Anyone notice that Johnny Cash never really said what three chords his friend showed him after buying his guitar. However, B7, A, E, and D seem to pop up in all his songs. haha. He sure loved him a B7 chord.