The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   martin "modified V neck" is it really that bad? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90870)

imrickjames20 12-10-2006 08:32 PM

martin "modified V neck" is it really that bad?

hey guys, i've heard many bad and many good things about the playability of the modified v neck martin puts on someof it's guitars such as the om28v. is the neck really that uncomfortable that one would choose NOT to purchase a guitar simply because of it? any info on those who have owned or played this type of neck would be greatly appreciated. is this neck only a problem for those with smaller hands or is it a general discomfort?

jwbry 12-10-2006 08:36 PM

My situation only: I have large hands and can't play my D-18GE without hand pain. Doesn't occur with regular-shaped necks.

Randal_S 12-10-2006 08:59 PM

I suppose people can find many reasons to choose/ not choose any guitar, so it makes perfect sense that neck profile is one of them. I have a 1-11/16" mod-V on one of my Martins and it doesn't much bother me, though there are other brands out there that I discount due to the neck profiles/ offered but widths.

So, is the Martin mod-V really that bad?

Only if you think so. There's a number of positive things that a guitar forum can offer. However, there are times that nothing can replace some seat time with a particular guitar that you're considering dropping the money on. You might really like the mod-V and you might hate it... no amount of our observations can help you make that decision.

Fngrstyl 12-10-2006 09:01 PM

I have an OMC-28 L J, and love the Mod V.. It just feels "right" to me..:)

Brackett Instruments 12-10-2006 09:14 PM

Martins mod-V is my favorite neck. Different hands and different styles need different necks. I need to play a guitar for at least 30 minutes to tell if the neck fits my hand or not.

Jeff M 12-10-2006 09:49 PM

To answer your question, no, the Martin V neck profile is GREAT!! One of my favorites. Really.
My most hated profile? The standard Taylor "skinny neck".

Everybody is different. Some folks will love one profile, others hate it.
Lots of folks love the Martin "V". Lots of folks love the Taylor profile.

trion12 12-11-2006 12:22 AM

What I have found with a Martin V neck on an OMC-28 LJ (after 28 years with a C neck on a D35 and having owned a Taylor 714) is that it is extremely comfortable but may require some alteration to your left hand technique.
For many years I played with a typical classical left hand position with the thumb behind the middle of the neck.
I find with a V neck that a more comfortable position is to slide the thumb up a little higher (towards the fingerboard) so that the thumb is no longer right behind the middle of the neck and the V fits kind of ergonomically in the cup between the thumb and forefinger.
The V neck is now my favored shape.

Aaron

dreamincolor 12-11-2006 04:20 AM

This is definitely an individual preference. The V-shaped necks cause me pain and discomfort - I'll never own another one. I also found barre chords up the neck were particularly difficult with the V-neck. Not my cup 'o tea at all. Many players love them though.

AndrewG 12-11-2006 06:53 AM

I sold an OM28V to a friend because of the pain I was getting in the base of my fretting hand index finger; it was very, very uncomfortable. I wasn't about to start modifying my technique for one guitar just to get around the problem.

muzz76 12-11-2006 06:59 AM

For me, the V neck is definately a deal breaker. I'd have to special order Martin's low profile on any of their guitars that would otherwise come standard with the Vintage profile.

It hurts my hand...plain and simple.

rmyAddison 12-11-2006 08:47 AM

I have a D-18 GE (1 3/4 nut, modified V) and DC -Aura ( 1 11/16 nut, low profile). At first I hated the 30's style neck and did have some pain, now I love it and have the DC Aura up for trade/sale.

Ironically I have small hands and still prefer that big tree trunk neck. I fingerpick a lot and the wider spacing lets each string ring true and clear. The Aura is very similar to the 814ce I had, super easy playing guitars, but now too skinny a neck for me. Strings play a big part too and Mediums on a skinny neck doesn't work very well, on a modified V with a wide nut they do magic.

What people do too often, myself included, is make a decision after a half hour. You need to play the different necks/profiles for a few weeks before you decide what works for you. I went from hate to love with my GE but it took a little while.

Michael K 12-11-2006 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imrickjames20 (Post 1062931)
hey guys, i've heard many bad and many good things about the playability of the modified v neck martin puts on someof it's guitars such as the om28v. is the neck really that uncomfortable that one would choose NOT to purchase a guitar simply because of it? any info on those who have owned or played this type of neck would be greatly appreciated. is this neck only a problem for those with smaller hands or is it a general discomfort?

I have an HD-28V which has the modified V neck. The sound won me on the guitar, so I thought well, I'll put up with the neck shape. I'm glad I bought it, because now I love the neck on that thing. Wasn't sure at first, but I am really happy with it.

guitpl4evr 12-11-2006 10:13 AM

Well, I had a 28V befrore, and it felt gret, in the beginning, then my hand would ache after playing for a few minutes, but that could just be me and age creeping up on me...

playataylor

i-doc 12-11-2006 10:31 AM

I have a OM-18GE with mod-V neck and it is the most comfortable neck I have played.

faithfulplayer 12-11-2006 10:54 AM

An emphatic "No"! The neck on my OM-28V is by far the most comfortable neck I have ever played. Perfect for me. For others? Well, all a matter of personal likes and dislikes...I'm a woman, and my hands are not large really. The neck just suits my playing style, more so than any other neck I have played.:)