The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2018 martin truss rod wrench (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=499417)

jsanfilippo5 02-07-2018 10:11 PM

2018 martin truss rod wrench

Hi ALL -

what size wrench is used on the new "reimagined" standard series? Is it the same as previous martins? I have a 5mm wrench and seems to small, just checking to see if I am going crazy or not and making sure the size is actually 5mm and that I didnt misplace a wrench..

Airstrummer 02-09-2018 12:23 AM

Did you figure this out yet? I have a 2018 in coming so hope it does not have a different size but really can not imagine they changed it. I saw somewhere else a thread about someone thinking they had a different size but turned out that a small piece of wood was stopping the wrench.

JayBee1404 02-09-2018 01:38 AM

Assuming that they haven't changed the size for the new 're-imagined' series, you need a long 5mm wrench - like this one, item #6114 at the bottom...

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools..._Wrenches.html

The adjuster for the two-way rod that Martin use now sits deeper in the block than the old one-way rod, and can't be reached with a standard Allen key. Been this way for a few years now - all three of my Martins have the two-way rod, and I have one of the above wrenches to make the very occasional adjustment.

jsanfilippo5 02-09-2018 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayBee1404 (Post 5633016)
Assuming that they haven't changed the size for the new 're-imagined' series, you need a long 5mm wrench - like this one, item #6114 at the bottom...

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools..._Wrenches.html

The adjuster for the two-way rod that Martin use now sits deeper in the block than the old one-way rod, and can't be reached with a standard Allen key. Been this way for a few years now - all three of my Martins have the two-way rod, and I have one of the above wrenches to make the very occasional adjustment.

That is the one I have - it seems like it is too small. I'll have to try again. I sent a message to martin, and they didnt give me any specifics, they just said they will me mail me a truss rod wrench free of charge. ..

Long Jon 02-09-2018 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsanfilippo5 (Post 5633086)
I sent a message to martin, and they didnt give me any specifics, they just said they will me mail me a truss rod wrench free of charge. ..

Those swine ! :mad: :mad:

JayBee1404 02-09-2018 06:52 AM

Aaaahh! Very odd! I've asked the question on the UMGF in the 'Technical' section. Let's see what they come up with.

I don't believe the new 'Re-Imagined' instruments are available here in the U.K. yet.

Big Band Guitar 02-09-2018 06:57 AM

My Eastmans came with the proper wrenches.

Not packing them with the guitars is just cheap.

Or they don't want the untrained user to go cranking on the adjustment.

gfspencer 02-09-2018 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Band Guitar (Post 5633097)
My Eastmans came with the proper wrenches.

Not packing them with the guitars is just cheap.

Or maybe Eastmans need more adjustment. ;)

llew 02-09-2018 08:40 AM

The newer "Reimagined" dreads feel much lighter to me. Did they switch to a titanium truss rod? If so maybe a different wrench is required?

DenverSteve 02-09-2018 09:16 AM

Two things I seriously doubt are that Martin would change the truss rod tool size and that they would use a Titanium truss rod in a production guitar.

llew 02-09-2018 09:23 AM

Just a thought? I'm sure a phone call to Martin will sort it out?

jsanfilippo5 02-09-2018 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llew (Post 5633263)
Just a thought? I'm sure a phone call to Martin will sort out out?

i emailed them.

Earl49 02-09-2018 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Band Guitar (Post 5633097)

Taylor quit including truss rod wrenches with their guitars about five years ago, for that very reason. But if you call and seem competent enough to not be a danger to yourself or your guitar, they will send you one free.

martingitdave 02-09-2018 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earl49 (Post 5633313)
Taylor quit including truss rod wrenches with their guitars about five years ago, for that very reason. But if you call and seem competent enough to not be a danger to yourself or your guitar, they will send you one free.

You, too many "warranty" repairs from the untrained hand cranking on the truss rod. It's why they don't sell a car with a crescent wrench. LOL

woodbox 02-09-2018 10:33 AM

I recall a cartoon of an auto mechanic staring into an engine compartment, scratching his head in bewilderment.

Standing next to the car was the owner, shrugging, with raised eyebrows.

The caption is the mechanic saying --
"Suppose you tell me what it was doing BEFORE you tried to fix it."