The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   John Mayer OM-28 questions/thoughts (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72921)

mtw_21211 12-30-2005 09:35 AM

John Mayer OM-28 questions/thoughts

Hello - considering the OMJM-28, however a couple of questions/concerns -

Says it is set up/designed for medium strings. With an engleman top and a smaller OM body, I wonder about how that will hold up - I suppose if that is what Martin recommends for it, it is designed appropriatly to handle that - any thoughts?

Anybody out there own one of these? Whaat are your impressions?

I want a small body that strums well and has a 1 11/16 nut - this is one of the only ones out there that meets those specs - which is why I am interested in it (I'm not familiar with JM's music at all). Any other model to consider that fits this bill? I already own a oooc-16 rgte, which is a rosewood/sitka OM style with the 1 11/16 nut, and I just love the feel and sound of that little guitar, but would like to have something like it that's just a little nicer and maybe a little louder - I thought maybe the OMJM with its medium strings might be just what the doctor ordered -

What do you all think?

Thanks,

Matt

I have only ever owned sitka topped

mtw_21211 12-30-2005 11:56 AM

I'll give this a couple of bumps and let it go - I didn't think anyone out there would have experience with this one, kind of rare probably.

Thanks anyway,

Matt

yukonkornelius 12-30-2005 01:06 PM

It is an expensive guitar. If you don't care much about JM, then it's pointless in my opinion. I'd just custom order a OM-28V with the nut you like or try a 00028 that has the smaller nut.

mtw_21211 12-30-2005 01:15 PM

Thanks for the response -

Well, I don't care about the JM because it's JM's signature model, that's true - but a standard issue OM-28V does not have a 1 11/16 nut or a low profile oval neck or come designed for medium strings to (I'm assuming) accomodate aggressive playing - that's why the JM sounds so tempting -

Basically want an upgraded thumping version of my 000-16rgte, and the specs on the JM look good - but it would be nice to have someone confirm that or recommend a similar model that would accomplish that.

Isn't a standard issue OM-28V pretty expensive too?

Thanks folks -

vertical51 12-30-2005 01:28 PM

I don't know where you are located but Acoustic Roots in Bryn Mawr Pa.
(Philly area near Villanova U.) has one in stock.
Here is the link:
http://www.medleynet.com/AcousticRoo...e=5&SortBy=mfg

Great guys to work with. Hope this helps.

Randal_S 12-30-2005 02:05 PM

Elderly has ordered a (some?) Martin 000-28 Herringbone models... I've not played one, but am intrigued by them. Maybe a call to Elderly can get you the specs as far as bracing and string-guage recommendations. Also, don't believe the price on these, as it's probably listed IAW Martin's MAP policy. A phone call will get you the real price.

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/00028H.htm

Have you joined the Martin forum? I'm sure there are folks over there that have played the Mayer as well as this Custom 000-28H.

Mak2525 12-30-2005 03:16 PM

mtw_21211:

The JM is a nice guitar and does have the 11/16" nut. As Joyride mentioned you might try the 00028 for a lot less money. Also, the OM bracing allows for Medium gauge strings if you choose.

If you are willing to wait, ordering an OM28V with a low profile neck & 11/16" nut would still be quite a bit less than the JM. If you are looking used, I would jump on the Collings OM that was in the classifieds a couple of days ago. They are one of the best OM's going and you can strum the beejeezes out of them just like a dread. The standard nut is 11/16 also.

Good Luck!

Mike

gnc27 12-30-2005 04:04 PM

the jm is a beautifull guitar but i feel that it is way overpriced. i have the 00028 hd and it is a great guitar for a lot less money.

rcolosi 12-30-2005 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtw_21211
Hello - considering the OMJM-28, however a couple of questions/concerns -

Says it is set up/designed for medium strings. With an engleman top and a smaller OM body, I wonder about how that will hold up - I suppose if that is what Martin recommends for it, it is designed appropriatly to handle that - any thoughts?

Anybody out there own one of these? Whaat are your impressions?

I want a small body that strums well and has a 1 11/16 nut - this is one of the only ones out there that meets those specs - which is why I am interested in it (I'm not familiar with JM's music at all). Any other model to consider that fits this bill? I already own a oooc-16 rgte, which is a rosewood/sitka OM style with the 1 11/16 nut, and I just love the feel and sound of that little guitar, but would like to have something like it that's just a little nicer and maybe a little louder - I thought maybe the OMJM with its medium strings might be just what the doctor ordered - What do you all think?
Thanks,
Matt
I have only ever owned sitka topped

Hi Matt,
I'll try to be as unbiased as possible here.. although that will be tough... :)
I've played the Mayer sig model, and no doubt it's a fine guitar. But for me a least, the Collings OMs are superior in every aspect. Again, this is just "my" opinion. I have a OM1AC and for its size, its projection is substantial. The Collings guitars may be one of the models you might want to "test drive" if you get the opportunity. You'll find them only to be slightly more expensive than the Mayer, if not very close, depending on what Collings you look at and what options it has, i.e. addy top, cutaway, etc... Again, not bashing Martin....they make great stuff, but I'm pretty smitten with the instruments from the Austin gang. I use light-medium stings on mine (.012 - .056") and have no issues. Also....directly from the Collings website, "An OM should be fine with medium gauge strings."

lacrosse player 12-30-2005 08:19 PM

There was a thread a while back on the Martin forum talking about a new OMJM. This new one is a little less bling blingy (no silver border around the headstock and bridge, etc). And I'd also assume this one to be a tad bit less expensive.

Here's the thread: http://p082.ezboard.com/ftheunoffici...ID=28413.topic

-dan

david515 12-31-2005 09:44 AM

Just a quick FYI: all Martin steel string guitars (except for the 12 strings) are designed to handle medium strings. Before you pop for a new one, throw a set on your 000. You might be pleasantly surprised.

As for the John Mayer model: I've played a couple of them. Had one been readily available before I ordered my custom, I'd have bought it. It's a great guitar. (Full disclosure: the only thing I know about John Mayer is that he has a Martin signature model.)

Hope this helps...

David

meridian 12-31-2005 11:13 AM

I believe that one of the Martin Paul Simon SEs and the Graham Nash SE also have the nut width you are looking for in a smaller body -- but these are harder to find and of course demand a premium.

Definitely join the UMGF. There is a wealth of martin-related info over there. If you have problems logging in contact me and I'll try to help you with that.

Joecool 12-31-2005 11:49 AM

The 000-28H that Elderly sells as a custom does have a low-profile 1 11/16" neck. It is very similar in specs to the JM. However, it is a short (24.9") scale instead of the long (25.4") scale on the JM. Also, the top is sitka instead of engelman. The good news is that they are both great. You can't lose.

mtw_21211 01-02-2006 12:04 PM

The Elderly model sounds tempting, but how does the short scale change the sound?

FuzzFriendly 01-02-2006 04:16 PM

If your still interested, I was looking around and found an OM-28JM For Sale:

http://p082.ezboard.com/ftheunoffici...cID=7676.topic