The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   What Strings Do You Use (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222684)

Alanbama 07-21-2011 08:32 AM

What Strings Do You Use

This may have been posted before, but I didn't see it so...
First, I started playing in the late 60's. Yeah, I know and dirt was already invented.:( Anyway, I have always loved Martin strings. Maquis to be exact. They sound so beautiful. Crisp highs and great lows. And in all those years I've tried everything that I know of. Now Martin has a coated version.(SP) It's less than a micron thick and is even on the plain strings. It's made from bronze and makes the plain strings look cool too.:up: Read about them on the Martin web site. (http://www.martinguitar.com/strings/...php?typ=Martin SP Marquis). If you've never tried Maquis, SP or not, I really urge you to at least try them. I use mediums ( 13-56) To my ears they sound a lot better than the original Elixers. Now what about you.

fishstick_kitty 07-21-2011 08:50 AM

<sarcasm>I don't think this has ever been discussed before</sarcasm> :)

I have been on a DR Rare kick lately...they sound good right off...whereas I think coated strings sound a little spanky until they get some oil on'em :)

smokeynichol 07-21-2011 09:05 AM

have tried!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alanbama (Post 2694958)
This may have been posted before, but I didn't see it so...
First, I started playing in the late 60's. Yeah, I know and dirt was already invented.:( Anyway, I have always loved Martin strings. Maquis to be exact. They sound so beautiful. Crisp highs and great lows. And in all those years I've tried everything that I know of. Now Martin has a coated version.(SP) It's less than a micron thick and is even on the plain strings. It's made from bronze and makes the plain strings look cool too.:up: Read about them on the Martin web site. (http://www.martinguitar.com/strings/...php?typ=Martin SP Marquis). If you've never tried Maquis, SP or not, I really urge you to at least try them. I use mediums ( 13-56) To my ears they sound a lot better than the original Elixers. Now what about you.

Haven't tried the SP's BUT the FX and Bluegrass Martin-lousy!!!!!!

egkor 07-21-2011 09:10 AM

I've used Elixir Nano 80/20 (strings as delivered by Taylor factory, no?) and Elixir Nano PB.

Right now I've got a set of DR Sunbeam .012 on my DN4e. They sound good but have a little less volume and are noisier (finger slides) than the Elixirs.

I'm staying with Elixir 80/20, factory gauge for my 314ce (.012).

I use one-size smaller than factory gauge for my DN4e (.012, factory is .013).

I've really come to love most things about Elixir Nanos, but I often wonder about a self-perceived "thin" sound.

I am experimenting with strings on my DN4e to see if I can add some "beef" to its tone.

On the advice of @fishstick_kitty, I will next try a set of DR Rares (going up a gauge size back to factory std. .013) on my DN4e.

jmjohnson 07-21-2011 09:47 AM

DR Rares - check.
DR Sunbeams - check.
Martin SP - check.
Martin Marquis SP - check.
Martin LifeSpan - check.
Martin FX - check.
Martin Bluegrass - check.
Martin 80/20 Bluegrass - check.
Markley 82R - check.
Markley Helix - check.
GHS Vintage Bronze 85/15 - check.
GHS Signature Bronze - check.

BTW - the coated Martins are LifeSpan SPs, regular SPs are not coated (though the plain strings are bronzed). Marquis are regular strings or SPs with silk-wrapped ball ends.

Alanbama 07-21-2011 12:20 PM

Well I agree with most of you. I don't particularly like coated strings either. Let me be a touch clearer. My preference is 80/20 phospher bronze Marquis non coated. I've tried the other Martins, but have never been impressed with them. But the Marquis are great. Ok. I know strings are expensive but is there anyone out there that will and can afford to put a set of 80/20 phospher bronze Marquis on their guitar and report back to us? I know that tone and sound in general are subjective and there will be varied opinions. I am willing to try someone elses favorite as long as it's not coated. WOW! Isn't this fun kids:lol:?!

Dru Edwards 07-21-2011 02:36 PM

I just stick to the Elixir nanoweb 80/20s on my Taylor.

Alanbama 07-21-2011 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dru Edwards (Post 2695317)

There seems to be a lot in favor of the Elixers. Maybe I should have left them on a little while:(. I'll try them again next change. What is the prevailing gauge here?

Paul Ng 07-21-2011 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dru Edwards (Post 2695317)

Most likely my fav is Elixir PB for now, what difference is it between these two?

Thanks
Paul

Alanbama 07-22-2011 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Ng (Post 2695638)
Most likely my fav is Elixir PB for now, what difference is it between these two?

Thanks
Paul

They are a different mix of phospher and bronze instead of 80/20 they may be 92/8 like the Martins are. Am I right guys?

dannylightning 07-22-2011 08:48 AM

i love the elixir pb on taylor guitars, they are bright and have a warm tone to them. the 80/20 strings are brighter and if you have a guitar with a darker tone i think the 80/20 strings are great but for a taylor it tends to be a bright guitar and the pb strings seem to have a better sound than the 80/20

i remember trying some 80/20 poly web and the coating was so thick on those they sounded very bland, but the nano web version was a different story.

but on my 310 the pb elixir strings seem to have the best all around sound. the standard elixir acoustic strings sound good if you want mellow with a little brightness to them, i think the are a more mid range oriented string

the elixir pb nano web strings offer better lows and highs and have a warmer mid range sound to them than the standard acoustic nano web strings.

the 80/20 nano web strings kind of sound buzzy and overly bright to me on my 310

Alanbama 07-22-2011 09:03 AM

Thanks Danny. I'll have to try those. Admittedly the 80/20 do sound a bit bright on my taylor.

dannylightning 07-22-2011 09:39 AM

welcome, i really want to try some martin strings, but i have been so happy with the elixir pb nano web strings i have not tried any thing else. i think they have a really sweet sound to them. and they really do last a long time.

i do hear people say the martin strings have better bass. i am wondering how the coated martin strings sound, the coating does take away some sound quality on strings from what i understand,

one day i might get a set of martin strings, they martin has so many different strings its hard to know what to get lol.. i would probably try out the set that the put on the D-28 since those guitrs have such a great sound, i know my taylor wont sound like a d-28 but i wonder if the strings have any thing to do with that great bassy sound on the d-28 they really just have the traditional bluegrass sound that i really like.

Alanbama 07-22-2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannylightning (Post 2696130)
welcome, i really want to try some martin strings, but i have been so happy with the elixir pb nano web strings i have not tried any thing else. i think they have a really sweet sound to them. and they really do last a long time.

i do hear people say the martin strings have better bass. i am wondering how the coated martin strings sound, the coating does take away some sound quality on strings from what i understand,

one day i might get a set of martin strings, they martin has so many different strings its hard to know what to get lol.. i would probably try out the set that the put on the D-28 since those guitrs have such a great sound, i know my taylor wont sound like a d-28 but i wonder if the strings have any thing to do with that great bassy sound on the d-28 they really just have the traditional bluegrass sound that i really like.

You are so right! Martin does have so many strings to choose from! It makes it difficult!:confused: You can go to the Martin web site and they have a guide that you can get a general idea of the string you need. I'm useing Marquis pb SP med 's. And they have really good bass. The SP's have a very thin bronze coating on the core of the wound strings and the plain strings are bronze coated as well. This keeps corrosion down and they look kinda cool too.:D The set number is, MSP2200. If you try them let me know what you think.

dannylightning 07-22-2011 08:53 PM

i think those are the strigns they put on the d-28 so i would imagine they are good souding strigns..