The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   **Hand Made Music - Acoustic Guitar Compilation CD** (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188112)

Bob1131 07-07-2010 07:23 PM

Hand Made Music AFG CD

Thanks to JR for a give-away copy of the new AGF CD “Hand Made Music.” I received it yesterday but didn’t get to listen to it until today. WOW! This is an incredible CD!

I didn’t realize what the CD was about before receiving it. All of the tracks feature hand made guitars from AGF sponsors. The tracks are by some of AGF’s best players and is nothing short of awesome and inspiring fingerstyle playing. Not only is the playing fantastic, but the differences between handmade guitars are very interesting. It is not that one sounds better than another, but they are quite different, more than I would have suspected. So, if you have ever wondered how a Woolson sounds compared to a Paragon or a Santa Cruz, or how a Kragenbrink compares to a McKnight, then you need to get this CD! Wonderful music and guitars!! I want them all!!!

Thank you, JR, not only for my CD copy, but for pulling it all together for us guitar lovers!

Oakland 07-07-2010 09:17 PM

GAS like you couldn't believe.

jhchang 07-07-2010 10:05 PM

If I donate multiples of $5, can I get multiple copies? Thanks!:)

zenpicker 07-08-2010 06:41 AM

a thought about comparing guitar sounds on Hand Made...

Glad everyone's enjoying this disc as much as I am, and thanks again to JR and Steve for making it so sweet (and for including yours truly).

It occurs to me to mention one listening note that I've been noodling on. Unlike (the few) other CDs built around a similar idea - notably Tony McManus's recent Maker's Mark and Al Petteway's Dream Guitars I - the tracks on Hand Made Music were all recorded in different studio settings (mostly home studios, I expect, though I know of a couple exceptions). Different rooms, different mikes and pres, etc. I'll bet the intrinsic sounds of each builder's guitar come through despite that fact, but it makes strict A/B comparisons complicated.

ALL the tracks sound really good, IMHO - it's not a question of quality at all, just an interesting (to me, at least) added dimension to the CD. It's important that we had such a capable mastering engineer at the helm to integrate it all, and kudos to Steve Reinthal for tackling that challenge. Not everyone would relish the idea of putting together a single jigsaw puzzle from such disparate parts!

Cool CD and I'm very proud to have been part of it. ;)

M Sarad 07-08-2010 10:34 AM

For the record, my piece was played on a 1982 Brazilian/Sitka Dread cutaway made by Richard Hoover himself. It is not the Fire Fly listed in the notes.

I am proud to be included with all the other fine pickers, whose work I find awe inspiring.

Matt

Feste 07-08-2010 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zenpicker (Post 2279181)
Glad everyone's enjoying this disc as much as I am, and thanks again to JR and Steve for making it so sweet (and for including yours truly).

It occurs to me to mention one listening note that I've been noodling on. Unlike (the few) other CDs built around a similar idea - notably Tony McManus's recent Maker's Mark and Al Petteway's Dream Guitars I - the tracks on Hand Made Music were all recorded in different studio settings (mostly home studios, I expect, though I know of a couple exceptions). Different rooms, different mikes and pres, etc. I'll bet the intrinsic sounds of each builder's guitar come through despite that fact, but it makes strict A/B comparisons complicated.

Excellent point Mr. Hamlin! Perhaps the thing that makes this CD so special is this difference in rooms, mics , etc.

Quote:

ALL the tracks sound really good, IMHO - it's not a question of quality at all, just an interesting (to me, at least) added dimension to the CD. It's important that we had such a capable mastering engineer at the helm to integrate it all, and kudos to Steve Reinthal for tackling that challenge. Not everyone would relish the idea of putting together a single jigsaw puzzle from such disparate parts!

Absolutely agreed!! Hats off and mugs high for the whiz kid from down under. Steve has patience, great ears, and tons of talent!

Quote:

Cool CD and I'm very proud to have been part of it. ;)

Definitely cool to be included.
I am sure all of us would like to express our gratitude to the luthiers who hooked the players up with incredible instruments. You people rock!

P.S. If anyone is interested I made a video to promote the McKnight Guitars and the CD. Click on either the video link or webiste link in my signature to take a look.

kirkham13 07-08-2010 05:29 PM

Feste, your Bleak December via Mcilroy is unreal- nice one.:)

freewheeler 07-08-2010 07:06 PM

I'll be looking forward to my copy. :)

fingerpickerguy 07-08-2010 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharp_custom (Post 2271884)
Doug Young has posted a wonderful video of his contribution to the CD. It's really wonderful and worth checking out. Thanks again to all the talented people involved with this project. I hope my copy arrives soon. :)

Wow! That was great! And man what a great looking and sounding guitar.

dodadedadude 07-08-2010 08:13 PM

My charter membership is ending in ten days.... just renewed it...
looking forward to the CD... =)

colins 07-09-2010 03:57 AM

JR this is a brilliant effort by you and all others concerned. I have just become a charter memeber, and paid a bit extra to help cover postage to Australia. Happy for you to send it sea mail and save some $$ for the next CD!

Bill Pillmore 07-09-2010 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M Sarad (Post 2279408)
For the record, my piece was played on a 1982 Brazilian/Sitka Dread cutaway made by Richard Hoover himself. It is not the Fire Fly listed in the notes.
Matt

I thought that was pretty impressive for a small guitar :)
Enjoyed your tune.

sharp_custom 07-09-2010 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fingerpickerguy (Post 2279855)
Wow! That was great! And man what a great looking and sounding guitar.

Thanks for the kind words. Doug is a great musician and a wonderful person. I was truly honored and humbled to work with him on this. He took my pile of wood and made it sing. :)

Glennwillow 07-10-2010 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharp_custom (Post 2271884)
Doug Young has posted a wonderful video of his contribution to the CD. It's really wonderful and worth checking out. Thanks again to all the talented people involved with this project. I hope my copy arrives soon. :)

Don,

Thanks for posting that Doug Young video... Very nice!

- Glenn

Rollie 07-11-2010 11:03 AM

There is some great playing on this cd.. listening to the tonality of some of the AGF Luthier guitars really gives me a feel for their work.. very cool.. It would be enlightning to hear/play ALL of our AGF Luthier built guitars in one place ... Maybe a show in the midwest ...