The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Looking For Good Delta-Blues Style Parlor, Art & Lutherie AMI or Ibanez SGT110VS? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119902)

wordlesschorus 03-02-2008 10:17 PM

Looking For Good Delta-Blues Style Parlor, Art & Lutherie AMI or Ibanez SGT110VS?

Hi guys, after having played regular sized dreadnoughts for a few years now, i was thinking about making my first jump into the world of parlor guitars (partially inspired by my newfound interest in Son House and the blues in general). So, i guess i've got it narrowed down to two guitars. I've heard really good things about the Solid Cedar topped Art and Lutherie AMIs but i've also seen some pretty good reviews about the Ibanez SGT110VS (sage series). Unfortunately, the SGT110VS is laminate-topped (i think). I was just wondering if anybody's had experience with either guitar? Or, if someone could point me in possibly another direction regarding parlors? I, regrettably, have a budget of $300. Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Jeff D 03-03-2008 12:05 AM

I just bought the ami and it sounds amazing. If you want individual clarity of each string that rings out seemingly forever, actually I couted how many seconds of sustain and it had about 19 seconds of sustain while playin a G chord. I would buy the ami. It plays very well and feel awesome in the hands. I have never played a guitar that I could play while lying down until I played this one. It is also a great travel guitar.

wordlesschorus 03-03-2008 12:27 AM

Thanks! I was leaning towards that guitar but they seem pretty hard to find...even on the internet, if you dont mind me asking, where'd you find yours?

wordlesschorus 03-03-2008 12:31 AM

Oh and is yours spruce or cedar topped?

Jeff D 03-03-2008 01:07 AM

I found it at Daddy's Junky Music in Connecticut. They have a bunch of them and I have a cedar topped model. I'm not sure if they come in spruce.

steve617 03-03-2008 03:53 AM

A couple of days ago I played a spruce and a cedar ami. I liked the cedar the best in sound and in looks. To me the cedar at a richer tone. I too am wanting to do some finger style blues. My LMS had a couple of each and they also come with a gig bag. I was also thinking about a A&L folk.

WigginsPlayer 03-03-2008 06:41 AM

I have the AMI, bought it for my wife, who has decided she doesn't want to cut her nails. Alas, but I do really enjoy playing that guitar, so, it was not a waste at all. I prefer parlor and 000 guitars, so it was right up my alley, and the price was right. All in all, I am glad I bought the guitar. Hope that helps.

tagmike 03-03-2008 11:41 AM

Here's a neat Seagull small body (a step up from Art & Lutherie in the Godin line) well within your price range:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=119395

I've been eying this one myself for a delta blues fingerpicker. I have a Seagull S6 (dread) I use as a "beater" that is one of the best sounding and playing guitars I've ever owned - and I've had high-end Martins as my working guitars for 45 years.

- mike

Blue in VT 03-03-2008 12:02 PM

Mike,

Thanks for linking to my sale...:D

The Grand is certainly a step up from the AMI...which is also great but the grand really sings. I'm a Country Blues plaer myself and am only letting this one go because of money issues. It works great for this kind of music and is a great travel guitar.

Cheers,

Blue

sayheyjeff 03-03-2008 02:19 PM

+1 for the seagull grande too.

Elmerz 03-03-2008 04:37 PM

Definitely the Seagull parlor. My son and I have been sharing mine for a couple years and it sounds just like those old blues records where the guys were playing small bodied ladder-braced guitars. Another big plus is the 14fret to the body neck. I put a Gibson L-00 style guard on ours. Looks great! EZ