The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   disconnect to reconnect (social media content) (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489283)

fazool 11-13-2017 06:55 AM

disconnect to reconnect (social media content)

We went to dinner last night at a small italian restaurant & bar. Nice place in an expanded house. Very casual. Been a staple in our neighborhood as long as we've been there.

Six of us were there. Me, my wife, 16, 19 and two 21 year olds.

We didn't ask about their promotion or anything but when the waitress brought our bill she pointed out that we got a 10% discount for their "disconnect to reconnect" promotion, for folks who don't use their cell phones during dinner.

Nice surprise and a nice program. A nice gesture.

RP 11-13-2017 07:12 AM

What a great policy! Went to a small chic dive for breakfast yesterday. Was in a hurry to eat and then make it to a movie at the Virginia Film Festival. It was a very long wait, and looking around at the tables, I couldn't help but think that turning over tables was slowed by all the people who couldn't stay offline long enough to eat. We saw six movies at the festival and were taken aback by those who remained glued to their devices, even after the lights in the theaters dimmed. I likened it to getting that last breath of air before going underwater....

Shoreline Music 11-13-2017 10:11 AM

Brilliant! I would eat there just for this.

It really saddens me to see people out on dates—married, just dating, whatever—glued to their phones, even at really nice restaurants. I know some local restaurant owners, and I'll be sharing this with them.

Truckjohn 11-13-2017 10:44 AM

Its kinda interesting to consider how different life was prior to TV..

People are not really all that different... We get bored and want to do stuff.... And so in those days - there were tons of clubs, associations, and organizations that gave people something to do in their free time.

Unfortunately - it's really hard to compete with "Free"... And TV was free (or at least way less expensive than the alternative) for a long time.

Same for internet now.. Nearly no effort is required to participate..

Sean Parker commented on this recently... talking about "hacking" the brain's social feedback/validation loop.... How each "like" or favorable reply gets you a little dopamine hit.... And that juices your brain to want more and more.... And without it you feel bored, empty, and unfulfilled.... Dangerous stuff..

rokdog49 11-13-2017 10:45 AM

I think it's a great idea. On the other hand, as long as people aren't interfering with my dinner, I don't care what they do. it's better than screaming toddlers.

marty bradbury 11-13-2017 10:52 AM

Love the concept!

philjs 11-13-2017 10:59 AM

It seems to be trending. In early October a popular cafe/bistro here in Halifax, that is uber-popular with the work-while-you-eat crowd, announced they were going "screen-free" after 5 pm.

https://scontent.fyhz1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...80&oe=5A9895B4

There was a pretty nasty backlash from some of their daily customers.

Phil

RP 11-13-2017 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rokdog49 (Post 5535625)
I think it's a great idea. On the other hand, as long as people aren't interfering with my dinner, I don't care what they do...

As I saw yesterday, if the restaurant is at all crowded, online activities while dining can block waiting diners from getting a table....

Jim Owen 11-13-2017 02:17 PM

I like this idea. I’ve tired of being out to dinner with friends who take calls during our time. Granted, if it’s important (a call from a parent’s care facility, a call from a child-sitter), by all means, take it.

But the call rarely is. We’ve just become conditioned to respond.

Mr. Jelly 11-13-2017 02:24 PM

Good luck with that.

cotten 11-13-2017 03:01 PM

I like this approach - a discount feels a lot friendlier than a ban.

cotten

amyFB 11-13-2017 03:23 PM

When i am with people who continuously check their phone during our conversation, I cannot help but think that they are looking for something more interesting than my company.

Sometimes, I'll just stop talking mid sentence and wait to see how long it takes them to realize I'm silent.

I always want to say something like " go ahead, finish up what's important, i'll wait for your full attention".

rokdog49 11-13-2017 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amyFB (Post 5535940)
When i am with people who continuously check their phone during our conversation, I cannot help but think that they are looking for something more interesting than my company.

Sometimes, I'll just stop talking mid sentence and wait to see how long it takes them to realize I'm silent.

I always want to say something like " go ahead, finish up what's important, i'll wait for your full attention".

I don't know your age but if you did say that and they are between 20-40, likely they would be mystified by your comment...it's a way of life.:(

Pitar 11-13-2017 05:14 PM

I don't own a cell phone or any other personal electronics. I'm constantly chided for being off the grid. Giving what I get, all know they'll be ridden hard if they even show their phones in my company. To me, it's insulting to play 2nd fiddle to a cell phone so I'll simply leave if I see that happening.

Mr. Jelly 11-13-2017 05:48 PM

Get off my lawn, dag nab it!