The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Help deciding going only carbon fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454517)

rmsstrider 12-30-2016 07:41 PM

Help deciding going only carbon fiber

To preface this post, I live on a boat on the Chesapeake in Maryland. I love my Martins, however the constant worry about humidity and temperature has made me a slave to my guitars. Is the ac on, is the heat on, is the humidity pac ok etc.
I have an opportunity to buy an Emerald X20 Opus with professionally installed K&K pure mini for asking 1250.00
I plan on bringing my 000-18 to A/B the 2 side by side plugged in and unplugged. I am also binging a fresh set of d'addario Ej16's to put on the Emerald if the seller will allow.
So, I am seeking advise from any who have experience with these guitars. Keep what I have or if the Emerald sounds as good as this forum says, take the plunge. I will have to sell my Martins to make room for the Emerald. Any thoughts welcome. I am kinda at a loss.

Doubleneck 12-30-2016 08:10 PM

I have played and have both wood and carbon guitars. Your climate conditions can force to choose I guess. But to me I will always have both. My carbon guitars don't match my hand made wood acoustics. But my doubleneck Emerald just can't be made in wood. My Rainsong Jumbo is just cool sometimes. I also think we often fret way too much about wood guitars, but I don't live on a boat.

rmsstrider 12-30-2016 08:31 PM

Thanks for the reply Double neck. Trying to be practical, but darn my Martin is a fine guitar. I have not played an Emerald yet. They do a lot a love here though.

The Bard Rocks 12-30-2016 08:34 PM

carbon fiber or wood - one has to go

Play the Emerald and see if you like it or not. If you don't, there's your answer. I have played a few other CF guitars and haven't liked them enough to buy them - but they're not bad at all.

Here's another thought: you have had these guitars with you on the boat for how long? And they are OK? And you really like them? That tells me that you'd better like the Emerald a whole lot more to take that jump.

steelvibe 12-30-2016 09:04 PM

All the CF manufacturers have a lot of love here, any many of us own guitars from more than one company.

I'm with you, I love Martins too- heck, I love wood guitars period. You will find that many of us own both. Nothing can replace the individuality of wooden guitars- the character, the charm! I just smile at the tone of a good wooden acoustic, the sound is so comfortable like a good book and good cup of coffee.

However, we here on the sub forum have also all discovered this fascinating world. I find that CF offers so much more than the benefits of the nature of the material, but will almost always offer you a great tone- different than wood, but still great. CF has come a long way- I'm guessing you will go home with that Emerald. I'm with Doubleneck here, I would hold onto at least one of those Martins- but like him, I don't live on a boat. I can baby my Martin in a more controlled environment.

Keep us posted. :)

Bluside 12-30-2016 09:08 PM

I live in Florida. My Emerald X20 is my "go to" guitar to take in and out of the house. The rapid changes in heat and humidity have no affect on it at all. i bought it for this very reason and have been very happy with the guitar.

buddyhu 12-30-2016 09:33 PM

I don't think I could get by without at least one wood guitar; but I've never lived on a boat and had to deal with the challenges that environment presents...I might change my mind if i did.

CF guitars are pretty nice. They offer a lot. Only you can decide if a CF guitar would be a good choice for you.

jdinco 12-30-2016 10:04 PM

I agree with the others, my Rainsong WS is a great guitar, but I gotta have some wood to go with it for when the mood hits. Apples and Oranges. If I were you, I would live with both for a while and see what happens, you can always sell one later. You will love the CF

Captain Jim 12-30-2016 10:28 PM

I have wood and carbon fiber guitars. And, I have lived on a boat. And, an RV, going from Gulf coastal areas to the desert and the Pacific Northwest. At this point, I don't see me buying any wood guitars in the future... from a practical perspective, carbon fiber is easy to live with. From a sound perspective... yeah, carbon fiber is easy to live with. ;)

I have had wood guitars on our boats in the past, and didn't think it was as much concern and work as keeping a wood guitar humidified in the desert. If the cabin of the boat was comfortable for my wife and I, it seemed OK for the guitar (one at a time). Onboard, wood guitars (except a GSmini) lived in their hard shell case, my carbon fiber guitars are good in their gig bags, and easier to find space.

I haven't tried an X20 (yet), but if the shape, ergonomics, sound, and playability translates from the X7, I would think you will have some good choices to make.

Keep us posted.

Jim

Irishrep 12-31-2016 12:07 AM

Emerald

I have 4 martins . I also have an x20. If I did not already have one you would not have a chance to contemplate the choice. I am looking for a x7 and seen the x20 was at such a low price. I would not hesitate. Someone will pick it up quickly. They are great guitars. Good Luck

rjsc5 12-31-2016 12:19 AM

I live on a boat in the summer(approximately 8 months), but could not replace my Martins with an x20-os or any other CF for that matter. I had very similar thoughts as the OP, and tried them out, but decided to save my money. I need wood. YMMV

Puerto Player 12-31-2016 05:23 AM

Hope it works out, I love my X20 Artisan. It's not wood, but wood ain't carbon either. I fine the tone amazing, and I've owed a Rainsong and played other carbons before, my X20 is as good as my wood guitars, and I have some very nice wood guitars. If the Opus is anywhere near the Artisan in tone, prepare to be amazed.

Fixedgear60 12-31-2016 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rmsstrider01 (Post 5175284)
To preface this post, I live on a boat on the Chesapeake in Maryland. I love my Martins, however the constant worry about humidity and temperature has made me a slave to my guitars. Is the ac on, is the heat on, is the humidity pac ok etc.
I have an opportunity to buy an Emerald X20 Opus with professionally installed K&K pure mini for asking 1250.00
I plan on bringing my 000-18 to A/B the 2 side by side plugged in and unplugged. I am also binging a fresh set of d'addario Ej16's to put on the Emerald if the seller will allow.
So, I am seeking advise from any who have experience with these guitars. Keep what I have or if the Emerald sounds as good as this forum says, take the plunge. I will have to sell my Martins to make room for the Emerald. Any thoughts welcome. I am kinda at a loss.

Another thought is check out eKoa guitars from Blackbird.... might find a common ground betwwen CF and wood. Joe is doing some amazing things and who knows what he will bring to market in 2017... he has been hinting on something new in Facebook. If it is a 00 size..perhaps a eKoa Lucky 13 .. boy that would be hard to resist!!!

I have gone all CF for the past 3+ year and do miss my Martin now and then but it does pass everytime I pick up my Rainsongs,

just_Chan 12-31-2016 08:00 AM

Well, my wooden guitar failed after about 10 years here in sunny hot & rainy humid Singapore. So I went the carbon fiber route thereafter. Am experimenting with different carbon fiber luthiers, different strings, gadgets and electronics for different tones & tunes. I realised my hearing and tastes seem to change over time, so much so I now prefer carbon fiber tones compared to wooden guitars. Hope my experiences are helpful to you...

rmsstrider 12-31-2016 09:09 AM

Lots of good feedback here. Thank you all. So far after 14 years of living on my boat I have not managed to damage any wood guitars. Maybe I have been lucky. I have a lot of Gas for this Emerald and am waiting for the seller to get back to me so I can drive the 1.5 hours and try it out. I understand that the Opus is the same as the Artisan except only in black and with crystal ice finish back and sides.
My humidity meter in my case right now reads 46. The humidity meter in my cabin reads 32. Lot of trouble maintaining the proper environment for my wood guitar. If the Emerald sounds as good as I am told , I will be very tempted. As far as having both, well, space and finances make that an iffy proposition. We will know more when/if I get to play it. I'll let you know. Thanks again for all the support, you don't find that much other places outside of this forum