The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Strings For GS Mini? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227941)

Lash 09-15-2011 09:23 PM

Strings For GS Mini?

Which strings do y'all like on your Minis?

I asked the salesman for an extra set of strings when I bought mine a few weeks ago and he sold me D'Addario EXP PB .12-.053.

I think Elixer Nanoweb .13-.056 came on the guitar.

I think I'll save the 12-53 EXPs for another guitar and get something else (heavier?) for the Mini.

Much obliged,

Lash

thedak 09-16-2011 04:49 AM

Keep Mediums on it.

Herb Hunter 09-16-2011 05:51 AM

Medium gauge strings are used on the GS Mini to compensate for its short 23 1/2" scale. Light gauge strings end up being too loose and medium gauge strings provide a tension closer to light gauge on a standard, 25 1/2" scale neck. Also, mediums on a GS Mini allow the strings to be lowered closer to the fretboard before the onset of string buzz.

25 1/2" scale, first string tuned to, E, .012 gauge: approx. 23.32 lbs of tension

23 1/2" scale, first string tuned to, E, .012 gauge: approx. 19.8 lbs of tension

23 1/2" scale, first string tuned to, E, .013 gauge: approx. 22.57 lbs of tension

Steely Glen 09-16-2011 06:40 AM

I like the Elixir Phosphor Bronze Nanoweb Mediums on my GSM. With the short scale, they're just as easy to play as the Lights on a GA and they help the GSM with better volume.

Lash 09-16-2011 10:32 AM

Thanks.

Any recommendations for non-coated strings?

Hoping to avoid a coated vs non-coated debate:

In my experience, the only advantage to coated strings is their longevity. Most non-coated strings sound better to me. And I don't mind changing them more often.

Herb Hunter 09-16-2011 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lash (Post 2763303)
Thanks.

Any recommendations for non-coated strings?

Hoping to avoid a coated vs non-coated debate:

In my experience, the only advantage to coated strings is their longevity. Most non-coated strings sound better to me. And I don't mind changing them more often.

I like D'Addario phosphor-bronze strings which is what Taylor used before they switched to coated strings. They sound better than non-coated strings but I recently switched to Elixir phosphor-bronze to see if the benefit of their longevity would be enough for me to overlook the reduction in tone as I find string changing tedious and don't like the sound of old strings.

photomat 09-16-2011 01:41 PM

My Mini can sound a bit bright and brittle. I put a set of D'Aquisto Tony Rice Round wound silver nickel mediums on it and it now has a strong mellow tone. I tried those strings on a dre4ad Ihave, and went ...Yuk!, but not bad on the mini....

TacomaTRD 09-17-2011 09:18 AM

I just got a mini and put Cleartone 13's on it and all I can say is WOW! I would at least try a set of Cleartone phosphor on it.

Spieler 09-17-2011 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herb Hunter (Post 2763315)
I like D'Addario phosphor-bronze strings which is what Taylor used before they switched to coated strings. They sound better than non-coated strings but I recently switched to Elixir phosphor-bronze to see if the benefit of their longevity would be enough for me to overlook the reduction in tone as I find string changing tedious and don't like the sound of old strings.

Herb,

How far into this experiment are you, and what are your thoughts about the Elixir PBs (I'm assuming Nanos?) on a Mini so far? Or are you trying this on a different Taylor?

Thanks.

~ S.

Herb Hunter 09-18-2011 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spieler (Post 2764535)
Herb,

How far into this experiment are you, and what are your thoughts about the Elixir PBs (I'm assuming Nanos?) on a Mini so far? Or are you trying this on a different Taylor?

Thanks.

~ S.

I'm using phosphor-bronze Nanos on several full-size Taylors and a Big Baby. I'm more than several months into my trial and think I will stick with them for a while even though I still miss the sound of naked phosphor-bronze strings. I just don't miss it enough to be willing to change strings so often.

D. Dubya 09-18-2011 06:15 AM

My 24" scale Larrivee Parlor LOVES DR Sunbeams. They're round core so they don't feel quite as stiff as other 13s do. They take a few days to break in, and they sound great as they age. Just a heads up, they call the 13-56 set Medium-Heavy. I would be shocked and amazed if they didn't sound amazing on the Mini.

Lash 09-20-2011 11:31 PM

Just threw a set of D'Addario EXP17s (coated PB, 13-56) on the Mini. Seems to have a little more bass.

taylorDude710 10-10-2011 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lash (Post 2768170)
Just threw a set of D'Addario EXP17s (coated PB, 13-56) on the Mini. Seems to have a little more bass.

I did the same. Gives a more mature and warm sound.

Marley 10-11-2011 01:15 PM

I'm using a D'Addario med/light set up. Lights only on the B & E, the other four are mediums. So I've been buying 2 different packs, really trying to use up what I have. But in one year I have only changed the strings 3 times.

From now on I'm going to order a bunch of D'Addario EJ19 like these http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/EJ19.htm

dbf909 10-12-2011 02:56 PM

I just got my GS Mini yesterday. I have been using Elixer Nano PBs on all of my Taylors for years now and I've been pretty happy with them. I've tried many many others over the years and some do sound nice (for a week or two) but I keep coming back to the Elixers because they last so long.

Has anyone tried the DR "Dragonskin" PBs yet? I picked up a set of 12s last week but have not had a chance to try them yet. I may go back this weekend and see if I can't get a set of 13s for the GS Mini. I have yet to find someone that has tried them yet.