The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show and Tell (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Strange guitar chords (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73499)

tay 01-12-2006 07:10 AM

Strange guitar chords

Im starting to practice some worship songs in anticipation of when I start to lead worship whenever that will be. But i have noticed some pretty strang chords in the worship songs in the books I have on my shelf. Chords like:

E2(no3) and E/G#...except that the E is over the G# like in a fraction. I just couldnt type it like that on the computer cause the computer wouldnt cooperate with me. I have been trying to look these chords up in my chord dictionary but cant find them. And was thinking that one of those planet waves electronic dictionaries might have them. but I dont want to invest in one until I know that they have those listed. Almost all worship songs have a chord like the ones mentioned above or something similar. I just cant play a worship song without them. Just how do you finger these chords any way? what are they called??

lopar 01-12-2006 07:42 AM

E/G# is an E chord with a G# as it's root chord..

soo.. instead of 022100 (with E as the root chord on the low E string,) you could do 422100..a little bit of a pinky stretch but you get used to it. :) of course.. 479x00 is more fun to play.. but alot more stretchier..

as for the E2 no3 or whatever.. i'm not sure which one number 3 is :) , but... here's a couple E2s I know: 024100, 022102, 079(11)00. second chords are chords that have the second degree of that chord in them (so, for the E chords it adds an F#..) hope that all makes sense

of course, all of those are open position chords, if you want barres to we could be here all day. hope that helps.

ELK 01-12-2006 08:02 AM

If you have a bass player in the band, you can relax a little. When there is a "slash" chord, like "E/G#," the bass can play the G# and the guitar can just play an E chord. The result is the same. It is usually done this way when there's a bass in the band.

ljguitar 01-12-2006 08:09 AM

Hi...
Here is a link for one of several online chord builders/finders.

After this one displays the chord, just click on the display for a couple more pages of variations.

<edit> how about that link? Well here it is...
guitar chord calculator

dthumb 01-12-2006 08:37 AM

There is an excellent reference/tutorial in this forum by idick that may help, as well. Click on his icon and go to his website. I believe the tutorial is still available there.

roadking 01-12-2006 09:00 AM

I've been struggling with E/G# lately as it appears in "Bell Bottom Blues". The fingering is 4x2450. This is awkward at first but is considerably easier to deal with on a short scale guitar. It is a very common chord in CCM and is often cheated with a cut capo.

815C 01-12-2006 09:07 AM

"E2 no 3rd" would be spelled E F# B. It can also be called Esus2. Here are some possible voicings:

--0----0---0----0-------------------------
--0----0---0----7-------------------------
--4---11--11----4-------------------------
--4----9---9----4-------------------------
--2----7---9----7-------------------------

ljguitar 01-12-2006 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadking
I've been struggling with E/G# lately as it appears in "Bell Bottom Blues". The fingering is 4x2450. This is awkward at first but is considerably easier to deal with on a short scale guitar. It is a very common chord in CCM and is often cheated with a cut capo.

Hi RK...
If you have a good left hand thumb, you can play a D shaped chord conventionally on the 4-5th frets (instead of 2-3), and then wrap the left thumb around to the 4th fret of the 6th string.

The note on the 6th is the G# and the chord on the top 3 strings is ''E''. As a fingerstylist this is and easy chord to just pluck (can't play the 4th or 5th strings). With selective muting, you should be able to work it out.

It is a chord that shall be with us for quite a while.

roadking 01-12-2006 10:00 AM

I like that chord and use it for certain fingerstyle songs, i.e. Tears In Heaven, Signe, ... but on Bell Bottom Blues it is used in the rhythm guitar part and is meant to be strummed. Sure looks like I'm spending a lot of time on Clapton, doesn't it?

tholmes 01-12-2006 10:11 AM

If it helps, I play E/G# 422400. Works well for strumming.

Tom

khayes 01-12-2006 10:45 AM

I've seen this chord described by tholmes played with a 'hinge-bar'...that is the A and D strings are barred at the second fret with the first part of the the first finger, letting it rise above the open B and E strings. Takes practice.

trpullen 01-12-2006 11:36 AM

I can reach the E/G# OK in first position but typically play it

X 11 9 9 9 X

astrummer 01-12-2006 12:10 PM

If you go to

http://www.looknohands.com/chordhous.../index_rb.html

click on E for the chord and display note names, the program will show the notes in that chord ( one of which is g# ) over frets 1-12. This may give you ideas for several ways to play it. ( Several of which have been described in the previous posts, this link may help visually explain them as well)

tholmes 01-12-2006 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khayes
I've seen this chord described by tholmes played with a 'hinge-bar'...that is the A and D strings are barred at the second fret with the first part of the the first finger, letting it rise above the open B and E strings. Takes practice.

Exactly!! I should have explained it a little better, I guess! :)

Tom

tay 01-12-2006 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 815C
"E2 no 3rd" would be spelled E F# B. It can also be called Esus2. Here are some possible voicings:

--0----0---0----7-------------------------
--4---11--11----4-------------------------
--4----9---9----4-------------------------
--2----7---9----7-------------------------

Why on earth didnt the people who wrote the music fro this book call it that Esus2? I know what that chord is.