The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   What is the best pick for strumming? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224800)

RiloKiley 08-12-2011 08:18 PM

What is the best pick for strumming?

I've been experimenting with different kinds of picks to see what I like the most. So far what I've found is that your can get a decent sound out of many picks for flatpicking. My preference is for a bigger pick (IE not a jazz pick).

However I am very particular about the pick that I use for strumming. Many do not have a great clear tone and make the strings kind of bleed into each other when you strum, which I don't like. They can also sound muted or not sustain very long.

So far the pick that I like the most is the Dava pick with the yellow or white tip. I believe that is is the one in the far right in the below picture. Great string seperation, works very well for both strumming and flatpicking, and makes your guitar extremely loud. Ergonomically it is very easy to use on my dreads

http://www.guitarnoize.com/images/bl...cks_review.jpg

What I'm wondering is that if there are better picks out there for strumming? I'm curious about the higher end picks as as Wegen, Blue Chip, Red Bear etc... Or anything that works well

Joe M 08-12-2011 10:31 PM

My brother bought a 3 pack of Wegen picks and gave one to me to try. IMHO, it made both my Martin and Taylor guitars sound more mellow or softer, especially the bass strings. Ironically, my brother thought they made his Taylors sound brighter. It was a sound I didn't like, I think a guitar should have bass strings that ring out, not sound muffled.

Andromeda 08-12-2011 10:40 PM

I like the Jim Dunlop nylon picks of various thicknesses. For certain songs the real thin ones work well and for other songs the thicker picks also work well.

Landru 08-12-2011 10:55 PM

Blue Chip TP 50 or 60 - I have the 60, and it's the best strumming pick I've ever come across.

Ilovetaylors 08-12-2011 10:58 PM

Blue chip are amazing picks!!!!! kinda pricy, but well worth it.

richyirich 08-13-2011 08:02 AM

I use Dunlop Tortex 0.50 mm pick for strumming.

williejohnson 08-13-2011 08:50 AM

OK I'm going to have to "fess up now." I mostly fingerpick acoustic nowdays but have been using a flat pick on both electric and acoustic guitars for 50+ years. Until recently (a month or so ago) I always used a Fender or Gibson thin pick (so 50 years of a Fender/Gibson thin.) A month or so ago there was a post on picks and specifically ( I believe) on Blue Chip picks. After reading the comments from both Landru and rmyAddison I thought, "OK, what the hell, I'll bite (if these two think so highly of them)" I Got the Blue Chip TD 35. My first impressions of it was boy, that feels different but it's way too thick for me. I kept using it and a couple of days later I thought man, that really sounds good , I can play this lick much faster with this pick and it "feels" wonderful. As I stated earlier, I've used thin picks my whole life but I have tried hundreds of picks of all types over the last 50 years. Well, it's now been a month or so and I must say this is the best pick I have ever used, period. Maybe I'm crazy but it has almost the same feel while playing that I get when I use a compressor ( I don't know how to better explain that feel.) I would like to thank both Landru and rmyAddison, as well as AGF for teaching an old dog a new trick.

rmyAddison 08-13-2011 09:39 AM

Blue Chip.........the best!! Gave my Wegans away.

Expensive but worth it every day, they are fantastic!!

Beautiful tone, no pick noise (once you find the right pressure), everybody I have let try one of mine has "converted".

If you're a serious player it's a serious pick!!

Bikewer 08-13-2011 09:45 AM

I use the same pick for everything. Dunlop nylon .88 mm (the gray ones)

Wear like iron, sound good. I had a more rounded-profile old Fender plastic pick lying around (I was going to punch circles out of it to make fret markers) and I picked it up last night and played a bit... Dreadful.

That being said, I know many who prefer a lighter pick for strumming. We had a friend who played for many years using nothing but light-gauge nylon material that he cut out of a sheet of the stuff with scissors.
Almost as floppy as paper. Never played a single note in his career, but he could do a rapid "folk" strumming style with considerable gusto.

Bltprf502 08-13-2011 09:51 AM

Without a doubt... The Wegan Bluegrass pick. Sturdy, east to hold and really bring out the tone when you want to dig in. I have a Red Bear as well that's good. The Wegan is better! I they are 3 picks for about $15. They last forever!

RiloKiley 08-13-2011 09:55 AM

Thanks for the opinions everyone, keep them coming! I'm going to pick up some of the recommended picks and I will report back.

mr. beaumont 08-13-2011 10:13 AM

I don't do much strumming, but I like my fat picks for everything...2.5 to 4mm, depending on my mood...I'm really liking a few dugains I bought recently...great control for strumming, freddie green rhythm or lead playing.

Dotneck 08-13-2011 10:19 AM

Fast Turtles

310Taylor 08-13-2011 10:36 AM

I find the orange tortex to be perfect for strumming, if I want a little more meat the yellow one. Sorry to describe in colors. I think they are .63 and .76 tortex

Landru 08-13-2011 10:38 AM

You've all got me wanting to buy more picks - like I need more picks.