The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show and Tell (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   "Suzanne" by Leondard Cohen (Cover) (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478840)

Glennwillow 08-05-2017 06:58 PM

"Suzanne" by Leondard Cohen (Cover)

This is my cover of Leonard Cohen's "Suzanne." This is one of his earliest songs; I heard it first from Judy Collins and kind of copied an approximation of her arrangement on this song but in my own key. I was playing this song in coffee houses way back in college. For some reason this is a song I have never forgotten how to play. :)

The guitar is my Olson SJ (cedar over EIR), capo 3.

Thanks very much for listening! :)

- Glenn

MichaelETC 08-05-2017 07:06 PM

Beautiful playing and excellent cover..thanks for sharing

FrankHudson 08-05-2017 08:15 PM

A very nice version of one of my favorite songs.

And since you have that music/arrangement memorized, you also have the original melody (which works quite well on acoustic) for "Tales of Brave Ulysses," the Cream song. Martin Sharp wrote "Tales..." listening to Judy Collins' version of "Suzanne" and Clapton later changed the melody.

Glennwillow 08-05-2017 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelETC (Post 5434580)
Beautiful playing and excellent cover..thanks for sharing

Thanks Michael,

I'm so glad you liked this! Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment! :)

- Glenn

Glennwillow 08-05-2017 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankHudson (Post 5434640)
A very nice version of one of my favorite songs.

And since you have that music/arrangement memorized, you also have the original melody (which works quite well on acoustic) for "Tales of Brave Ulysses," the Cream song. Martin Sharp wrote "Tales..." listening to Judy Collins' version of "Suzanne" and Clapton later changed the melody.

Hi Frank,

Oh, how interesting! I didn't know that about "Tales of Brave Ulysses." Thanks for listening and taking the time to comment! :)

- Glenn

cefobe 08-06-2017 06:51 AM

Hi Glenn, excellent cover, voice and guitar playing. Thanks for sharing.

Glennwillow 08-06-2017 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cefobe (Post 5434915)
Hi Glenn, excellent cover, voice and guitar playing. Thanks for sharing.

Hi Marcus!

I'm very pleased that you liked this! Thank you for taking the time to listen and comment!

- Glenn

Kerbie 08-06-2017 08:32 AM

I remember that gorgeous tune and what a good job Judy Collins did with it. And yours is wonderful! Very well done. I'd forgotten about that tune. Thanks for reminding me.

I bet you've got a few more lovely guitars to choose from than you did in your coffee house days. :lol:

That was great!

Glennwillow 08-06-2017 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerbie (Post 5435005)
I remember that gorgeous tune and what a good job Judy Collins did with it. And yours is wonderful! Very well done. I'd forgotten about that tune. Thanks for reminding me.

I bet you've got a few more lovely guitars to choose from than you did in your coffee house days. :lol:

That was great!

Hi Kerbie,

Thanks very much for your generous comments!

Yes, in my coffee house days at around age 21 I was playing my new Martin D-35 that my dad had given me. This song still sounds great on that old D-35, too. Really, this song sounds good on just about any good guitar. On this video, I guess I just felt like playing the Olson. :)

I do have quite a few more guitars than I did in my college days. :D

I recently found Judy Collins' version of Suzanne on YouTube and was reminded of how well her rendition of this song has held up over time.

Thanks so much Kerbie!

- Glenn

marty bradbury 08-06-2017 12:16 PM

Wow! One of my favorites for sure. Almost could have been written regarding a very good friend of mine. Beautifully done Glenn,

PajamasMusic 08-06-2017 12:19 PM

I'm relatively late to the Leonard Cohen awareness club, but the more I hear from his body of work, the more I appreciate his unique talent. Very nicely and poignantly rendered, Glenn.

Glennwillow 08-06-2017 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marty bradbury (Post 5435227)
Wow! One of my favorites for sure. Almost could have been written regarding a very good friend of mine. Beautifully done Glenn,

Thank you Marty!

I'm so glad you enjoyed this! Your good friend must have been a very interesting person if the images of Suzanne stir your memories. From what I have read about Leonard Cohen's Suzanne, she was also a very interesting and appealing person. https://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/verdal.html

Thanks so much for listening and commenting, Marty! :)

- Glenn

Glennwillow 08-06-2017 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cap'nCrunch (Post 5435234)
I'm relatively late to the Leonard Cohen awareness club, but the more I hear from his body of work, the more I appreciate his unique talent. Very nicely and poignantly rendered, Glenn.

Hi Cap'n,

Thanks so much for listening and commenting! It's very much appreciated!

I learned about Leonard Cohen back in the late 1960s because I was listening to a fair amount of music from Judy Collins. She sang a fair number of his songs, and so from that exposure, I learned about Leonard Cohen.

This is mostly how I heard about Bob Dylan, too -- from other people doing his music.

Thanks so much for your comments! :)

- Glenn

pf400 08-06-2017 01:08 PM

That was great to listen too. Marianne and Suzanne are two that I loved to learn way back. Thanks for posting it for us.

SpruceTop 08-06-2017 01:22 PM

Mighty Fine, Glenn! One of my all-time favorite songs from one of my all-time favorite artists and your rendition is well-done!