The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Neck Relief (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175271)

Craig_S 01-28-2010 08:52 PM

Neck Relief

I'm curious. Do you fellows set your necks dead straight or with some relief? I'm pretty good with electric instruments, but I had not owned an acoustic for many years.

taylorcc 01-28-2010 09:07 PM

On my guitars which have a truss rod, with the action tweaked to my satisfaction, I straighten the neck (tighten the truss rod) until I get string rattle when playing, then back off until the rattling stops.

Once the relief is set, there will be some seasonal tweaking but it's in tiny amounts - an eighth turn at a time.

hann 01-28-2010 09:12 PM

i like almost no relief.. but i probably do it that same way

but if i've to crank it up too much then I know there's something else wrong with the nut/saddle... then I'll turn my attention to those.

Howard Klepper 01-28-2010 09:18 PM

About .004-.005" for me.

Craig_S 01-28-2010 09:37 PM

Thank you Mr, Klepper. That's just about where I have it set right now, with a capo at the second fret, fretted at the 17th fret and measured at the 8th fret.

Thanks also to hann and taylorcc.

Aaron Smith 01-29-2010 01:53 PM

I'm with Howard- .004" is ideal for me. Up to .008" is still pretty playable, beyond that is too much.

Doubleneck 01-29-2010 04:33 PM

Wow you guys are exact. I like it with very little relief, I just capo on the first, finger the body fret and make sure that string is just barely off the finger board in the middle. Wonder what barely off measures?
Steve

Craig_S 01-29-2010 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubleneck (Post 2106942)
Wonder what barely off measures?

Around four or five thousandths (.004-.005), probably. That would be just barely over the thickness of a piece of average notebook paper.

GBS 01-29-2010 05:59 PM

That's interesting. I'm doing some work on a guitar saddle and the rest of the setup now, and I note that Taylor recommends .010 as their relief! Actually, I've found that to be pretty good if you are doing figerpicking with slide work. Using picks, and whether your tuning is down below std. or not all seem to have a big influence, also. And don't forget, that even though you aren't supposed to set action with the truss rod, there can be some significant interplay between that and relief!

hann 01-29-2010 06:10 PM

i used to be quite technical with relief.. till i got tired of having to fret here and there and slide the gauges in and out

I just keep it as flat as I can without buzz on heavy strumming.. then after that happens, i'll work on the nut/saddle. Of course with my blind eye I just spot some light coming between the strings..