The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   taylor factory setup (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20149)

micalal 04-11-2003 04:42 PM

taylor factory setup

I have a question about my 510ce I got last week. I play quite aggressively at times and I was noticing quite a bit of string buzz. I tested the neck adjustment with the 1st, 14th and 6th fret test and it was fine. It played beautifully when played softly. Does anybody else have trouble like that? Do I need to adjust the truss rod for my style of play?

Alex 314CELTD 04-11-2003 04:45 PM

You may have some loose components on the guitar. Head on over to Frank Ford's website,

FRETS.com

and check out his article about the things hat can cause buzzing and vibration.

Hope this helps!

Alex

wthurman 04-12-2003 05:26 AM

I hear it on every Taylor I try, if I strum aggressively. The strings vibrate too widely and buzz against the frets. You can do a couple of things... adjust the truss rod looser (slightly) to increase the distance up the neck, and if that works, I'd install a slightly higher bridge saddle. It shouldn't take much to help out.

If that doesn't work, you may have loose components, but it you know its coming from your strings, that's something you can try.

Ace43 04-12-2003 06:01 AM

Buzzing

I don't hear it on mine even if I whack 'em and they're set at between 2.48 mm and 1.85 mm at the twelfth fret, metal to metal.

akoch 04-12-2003 08:34 AM

I also tend to play a bit aggressively...I've also noticed the string buzz on my Taylors when I strum them hard as well. Thus, I put a little bit more relief in the neck compared to how they come from the factory. This is done by loosening the truss rod just a bit. Took care of my problem. Will raise the action slightly, but not uncomfortable to play.

~j~ 04-12-2003 09:48 AM

I notice breakup when I play hard as well, I have learned to compensate in my playing style but also a suggestion is to change your strings more often as newer are louder???

you could get a new bridge saddle and nut and have them made more to your taste

I strongly recommend against truss rod adjustment

humidity may also be a factor

akoch 04-12-2003 10:01 AM

Quote:

~j~ said:
I strongly recommend against truss rod adjustment
I don't understand your logic...truss rods are there to be adjusted. As long as you don't crank on it and turn it six or seven times, you're okay. If you don't adjust your truss rod, how do you account for seasonal or humidity changes? Taylor even has a tech sheet about this. For those of you who are afraid of adjusting your truss rod, just take it in to your local dealer.

~j~ : You've NEVER adjusted your truss rod? Why do you reccomend so highly against it?

~j~ 04-12-2003 11:11 AM

lol sure I've adjusted truss rods on my guitars. I've done it to a Fender strat, a 7-string Ibanez, and my baby taylor. I was never pleased with the results. It seems to me that this should be the last thing you try to change because it can be very damaging to the instrument if you screw it up. If you take it to somebody they're def. going to tell you before they do anything to it...

you are supposed to make your guitar think there are never seasonal changes with proper humidity levels. I believe the tech sheets say this also.

thank you for asking me about it though I'm not trying to pretend like I know everything I just get a little scared when people get jumpy with that wrench, you know?

Stringdancer 04-12-2003 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ~j~
I just get a little scared when people get jumpy with that wrench, you know?
I've never been able to adjust the truss rod in any of my guitars. Screw it up, and you've got a planter. I'd much rather pay a professional to do it. At least that way, I've got someone to blame if it goes awry...

:roll: :roll: :roll:

jerry landis 04-12-2003 01:06 PM

You should not feel afraid to adjust the truss rod. They are there to be adjusted, and Taylors are very well put together guitars. Just follow the instructions given on the Taylor truss rod sheet that came with your guitar. HOWEVER, adjusting the truss rod is not really meant to fix an action problem. It will change the action slightly, but that is not what it is there for. Because Taylors have bolt-on necks, the best way to adjust the action is to have the shims adjusted within the neck pocket. You will need to take the guitar to your dealer, who should have a variety of shims (unless you bought from Guitar Center or a proxy) that are designed to replace the shims inside the neck pocket. This will do wonders for an action problem.

Acousticado 04-12-2003 02:06 PM

I think truss rod adjustment is something every guitar player must be able to do (when appropriate along with an awareness of other factors) to fine-tune one's guitar to changing conditions -- whether humidity or string gauge. As long as one takes the time to learn where the thresholds are, so as to not overdo it, there shouldn't be a problem. Because of the potential frequency, this is something you shouldn't have to take to a guitar tech to do. I agree that they are made to be adjusted. JMO.

virtuoso 04-12-2003 02:59 PM

Refrain from adjusting your Truss Rod more than about 1 circles. I think you are pushing it too hard even at 2 circles.

jerry landis 04-12-2003 09:33 PM

Yes, rarely if ever have I adjusted any of my truss rods more than a quarter circle in one direction. I tend to stick to the recommended .010 of an inch neck relief, and only adjust when the relief changes from this figure. A quarter turn (90 degrees) on a Taylor truss rod tends to change the relief about .002 to .003 of an inch, which sounds like a very small amount, but it really is quite a lot. But, like I said, this really isn't the method one should use to adjust the action.

jumbo lover 04-12-2003 09:50 PM

I adjusted mine about 1/8 to 1/4 of a circle and it did wonders for my guitar. I don't recommend working on Taylor yourself, but the truss rod is fairly foolproof unless you pay absolutely no attention to what your are doing. I would turn the truss rod the least amount possible that will accomplish what you are trying to do.