The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   12-strings: Breedlove Pursuit vs. D’Angelico Fulton (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=499367)

Acoustic Eel 02-07-2018 11:46 AM

12-strings: Breedlove Pursuit vs. D’Angelico Fulton

THE BREEDLOVE ($550):
https://breedlovemusic.com/acoustic-...suit-12-string

THE D'ANGELICO ($499):
https://dangelicoguitars.com/guitars.../#DAPG212GRBCP

I need a cheap, smaller-bodied 12-string. The grand auditorium D'Angelico has a body depth of 4.7" and the concert Breedlove's 3.75." I think this would make the D'Angelico substantially louder than the Breedlove. This matters to me because I play with a man that sings and strums loudly. But I've wanted a Breedlove for years. Their headstocks are beautiful and their reputation excellent.

Thanks.

Rosewood99 02-07-2018 12:00 PM

Stick with a proven name like Breedlove. Their 12 strings are highly regarded in that price range.

Uncle Clownmeat 02-07-2018 03:56 PM

I've played that Breedlove. It's very playable but also very quiet. Get one if you're going to play in libraries.

jwhelan56 02-07-2018 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Clownmeat (Post 5631522)
I've played that Breedlove. It's very playable but also very quiet. Get one if you're going to play in libraries.

I respectfully disagree. I purchased the aforementioned Breedlove Pursuit 12 string used last year and find it to have plenty of volume. The OP did not mention whether he plugs in or not, but it has a great Fishman pickup system in it.

And it's very comfortable to hold and play since it's a concert sized guitar. For the money, I think it's very good. Just my $.02 from the peanut gallery for what it's worth.

Rockysdad 02-07-2018 06:58 PM

Are you "stuck" on these two only? There are others that could work for you.

Acoustic Eel 02-07-2018 07:31 PM

Jwhelan56, thanks for your input. You own the Breedlove Pursuit. I've read some complaints that its built-in tuner isn't very accurate and that it's impossible to fit a clip-on tuner onto its unique headstock. Is there any truth in that? Also, I don't foresee myself playing plugged-in anytime soon, so getting volume out of that tiny body is a concern.

Rockysdad, thanks for your interest in my post. My mind is open to other suggestions. I'd like a 12-string that's smaller that a dreadnought but bigger than concert-size. From what I understand, that leaves me with the orchestra/auditorium-size category.

I can't get anything made by Taylor because that's the name of someone who's caused a lot of pain in my life. I know that's silly but it's insurmountable. I don't think there's any I could afford anyway.

I'm going to primarily flatpick on it, and $550 is my limit.

Rosewood99 02-07-2018 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acoustic Eel (Post 5631732)
Jwhelan56, thanks for your input. You own the Breedlove Pursuit. I've read some complaints that its built-in tuner isn't very accurate and that it's impossible to fit a clip-on tuner onto its unique headstock. Is there any truth in that?

Yes, you can put a clip on tuner on your breedlove headstock. Also, consider used. I've owned five different 12 strings at one time or another and I bought used for all of them with no problems.

Are you playing for others or just for yourself? If it's for yourself mostly I wouldn't worry about volume, especially if you are flatpicking as you will get more than enough volume. If you were using bare fingers it might be a concern but that doesn't seem the case.

jseth 02-07-2018 08:44 PM

While it IS a bit difficult to get the hang of clipping a Snark tuner on a Breedlove headstock, it is not impossible, not at all!

I voted for the Breedlove, both because I've played those and liked, been impressed with them... but also because Breedlove is based here in Oregon, and the USA folks are the ones you will deal with should problems arise...

Believe me, as a longtime 12 sting player, problems WILL arise! Breedlove's customer service is second-to-none...

Acoustic Eel 02-07-2018 09:17 PM

Paul Zoom, I play alone at home most of the time. But a friend of mine wants me to accompany him at paying gigs where people are there primarily to eat and drink. I'm not sure if I could even hear myself playing a concert-size Breedlove in such noisy places. We won't be using amplifiers or microphones. That's why I'm considering the grand auditorium D'Angelico, even though I never heard of that brand until a couple days ago. I can't find any other auditorium 12-strings that cheap. Even though I'm fairly tall and have long arms, dreadnoughts feel too large for me.

AZLiberty 02-07-2018 10:36 PM

Quote:

I can't get anything made by Taylor because that's the name of someone who's caused a lot of pain in my life. I know that's silly but it's insurmountable.

Don't worry about it, the Breedlove sounds considerably better than the Taylor offering in this price range. (IMO of course)

jwhelan56 02-08-2018 07:31 AM

Quote:

Jwhelan56, thanks for your input. You own the Breedlove Pursuit. I've read some complaints that its built-in tuner isn't very accurate and that it's impossible to fit a clip-on tuner onto its unique headstock. Is there any truth in that? Also, I don't foresee myself playing plugged-in anytime soon, so getting volume out of that tiny body is a concern.

Rockysdad, thanks for your interest in my post. My mind is open to other suggestions. I'd like a 12-string that's smaller that a dreadnought but bigger than concert-size. From what I understand, that leaves me with the orchestra/auditorium-size category.

I can't get anything made by Taylor because that's the name of someone who's caused a lot of pain in my life. I know that's silly but it's insurmountable. I don't think there's any I could afford anyway.

Acoustic Eel: The headstock is a little full due to the shape and having 12 tuners on it, but I have been able to put a tuner on there, both a Snark and a Polytune which is more accurate so that the 12 strings sound really good. Nothing worse than a slightly out of tune 12 string since there are unison strings for each. I've tried the built in tuner and haven't had any issues there really, but usually use the clip on Polytune for tighter accuracy.

I would not consider the body tiny..........yes, it's not a jumbo or a dreadnought, but the body size still has good volume and projection. I have played with other guitar players and it's held its own. I got mine for about half of what a new one costs plus some shipping, so I thought I stole it...!! :lol: Hope this helps. Good luck!!

Rosewood99 02-08-2018 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acoustic Eel (Post 5631849)
Paul Zoom, I play alone at home most of the time. But a friend of mine wants me to accompany him at paying gigs where people are there primarily to eat and drink. I'm not sure if I could even hear myself playing a concert-size Breedlove in such noisy places. We won't be using amplifiers or microphones. That's why I'm considering the grand auditorium D'Angelico, even though I never heard of that brand until a couple days ago. I can't find any other auditorium 12-strings that cheap. Even though I'm fairly tall and have long arms, dreadnoughts feel too large for me.

The difference in loudness between each guitar is not that dramatic and not enough to make a difference in the enviornment you are describing. Whether you "hear yourself" will essentially be the same with each guitar.

You really should consider getting a cheap amp.

Johnny K 02-08-2018 09:14 AM

Another vote for the Breedlove 12. It's not a loud as my HD28V. but than again, what is? I like the Fishman electronics on board, they work very well.

I also like that that for a made in China guitar, the fit, finish, materials and craftsmanship on my Pursuit 12 is outstanding.

I really like it because it is easy to play right from the get go.

ManyMartinMan 02-08-2018 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulzoom (Post 5631288)
Stick with a proven name like Breedlove. Their 12 strings are highly regarded in that price range.

While I wouldn’t buy either one without playing them, D’Angelico has been around, and proven, for many, many decades. Their guitar’s are excellent in their price range.

roylor4 02-08-2018 09:35 AM

I have not played either, but an important consideration IMO: Breedlove has been around a while and has a strong rep for reliability of build.

D'Angelico gets good reviews but is unproven long-term in their newest iteration. I will also say that I have picked up a couple of electric D'Angelico's and found their tone, build quality and playability spotty at best. My .02 (as a non 12 stringer).