The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show and Tell (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Creating simple melodies in improvisation (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489444)

MikkoKarhula 11-14-2017 03:21 PM

Creating simple melodies in improvisation

Hi!

For years of trying to add all notes to my solos this was interesting test. Here is solo where I tryed to keep things simple and hopefully easy to listen. Hardest parts was to play complete melodies that are hopefully beautiful and to keep interest whole four minutes.

Kindest, Mikko

Todd Tipton 11-15-2017 01:22 PM

I enjoyed listening to this. While it may be "simple" harmonically from a jazz player's perspective, there is nothing simple about playing a piece well. It is so difficult to have every note right in the pocket. You achieve this.

I can't help but be reminded of a few jazz players I've known that have spend so much time and effort playing outside, using tritone substitution, and other methods of building more elaborate material around advanced harmony. Sometimes, those players have trouble playing something that is simple in harmony. They "hide" behind the advanced harmony. In the abstract, it also reminds me of a similar phenomenon in right hand arpeggio practice. I've known many students focusing all of their time with more complex right hand patterns, but then still not being able to play a simple, P,I,M,A or P,I,M,I pattern well.

What I am trying to say is, it is very difficult to play as well as you did. Many advanced players can't easily do this. Nothing is ever as easy as it looks. Great playing!

MikkoKarhula 11-15-2017 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd Tipton (Post 5537746)
I enjoyed listening to this. While it may be "simple" harmonically from a jazz player's perspective, there is nothing simple about playing a piece well. It is so difficult to have every note right in the pocket. You achieve this.

I can't help but be reminded of a few jazz players I've known that have spend so much time and effort playing outside, using tritone substitution, and other methods of building more elaborate material around advanced harmony. Sometimes, those players have trouble playing something that is simple in harmony. They "hide" behind the advanced harmony. In the abstract, it also reminds me of a similar phenomenon in right hand arpeggio practice. I've known many students focusing all of their time with more complex right hand patterns, but then still not being able to play a simple, P,I,M,A or P,I,M,I pattern well.

What I am trying to say is, it is very difficult to play as well as you did. Many advanced players can't easily do this. Nothing is ever as easy as it looks. Great playing!

Hi Todd!

That was so nicely said that I can't say anything but: thank you so much!

All the best!

Mikko

mr. beaumont 11-15-2017 02:38 PM

Sounds great!

I think Jim Hall had a note in his guitar case, it said "Play Less."

Harder than it sounds. Really enjoyed this, Mikko.

stringjunky 11-15-2017 02:48 PM

I like that. The empty spaces are as important as those that you fill.

MikkoKarhula 11-16-2017 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. beaumont (Post 5537838)
Sounds great!

I think Jim Hall had a note in his guitar case, it said "Play Less."

Harder than it sounds. Really enjoyed this, Mikko.

Thanks a lot! That is very good advice!

MikkoKarhula 11-16-2017 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stringjunky2 (Post 5537850)
I like that. The empty spaces are as important as those that you fill.

You are right! Thank you!

Tahitijack 11-16-2017 11:34 AM

Beautifully done! I can almost hear others playing behind you.