The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Limiteds and the 400 series? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186467)

edward993 06-08-2010 09:57 AM

Limiteds and the 400 series?

Simple question that maybe you Taylor historians would know: why does it seem most of the "Limited" models (excluding "signature" models) are of the 4xx ilk? Especially since the wood offerings on the Ltds are all over the map and have zero bearing on Ovangkol. Just curious. Thanks!

Edward

jeastman 06-08-2010 10:21 AM

Well, I wouldn't consider myself a 'historian', but I'll thrown in my thoughts.

The reason there are more 4xx out there is there are more buyers for a lower priced guitar. I seem to remember an interview with Bob Taylor a while back where they explained that wood choices for limiteds (at least the 400 series) had a lot to do with availability of higher priced (notice I did not say better) woods that may have not met the quality standards to be put into a higher series regular issue. For instance, the EIR on my 414 ltd is not the dark, straight grained stuff you see on most 700-900 series. Doesn't affect the sound quality IMHO. I've also seen a few 400 ltds with koa that just didn't have the flaming that you'd expect if you were paying twice as much. Again, aesthetic difference.

For the higher series ltds you see the introduction of woods not normally in the Taylor lineup. My father bought a beautiful 716 ltd last year that was Madrose - my favorite Taylor to date.

KMHaynes 06-08-2010 01:57 PM

When the Limiteds were started back in the 1990's, and when they became the Spring & Fall Limiteds, there was a fairly significant price difference between the 3-400 series vs. the 5-900 series models.

So, Bob Taylor wanted to give the folks who could only afford a 300 or 400 model guitar the chance to own a guitar with high quality wood on it -- rosewood, maple, imbuia, pau ferro, koa, etc -- at the lower price point of the 300/400 models.

It was probably also in the back of Bob Taylor's devious little mind that if someone bought a 414ce with rosewood, he or she might one day buy an 814ce!

Several years ago, I had a beautiful 2001 410R with an all glossy finish. It was an 810 without the bling, but every bit as good sounding as an 810.

wooglins 06-08-2010 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeastman (Post 2249470)
Well, I wouldn't consider myself a 'historian', but I'll thrown in my thoughts.

The reason there are more 4xx out there is there are more buyers for a lower priced guitar. I seem to remember an interview with Bob Taylor a while back where they explained that wood choices for limiteds (at least the 400 series) had a lot to do with availability of higher priced (notice I did not say better) woods that may have not met the quality standards to be put into a higher series regular issue. For instance, the EIR on my 414 ltd is not the dark, straight grained stuff you see on most 700-900 series. Doesn't affect the sound quality IMHO. I've also seen a few 400 ltds with koa that just didn't have the flaming that you'd expect if you were paying twice as much. Again, aesthetic difference.

For the higher series ltds you see the introduction of woods not normally in the Taylor lineup. My father bought a beautiful 716 ltd last year that was Madrose - my favorite Taylor to date.

The 2009 Spring 716ce Ltd is my favorite Taylor as well. :D

werkout52 06-08-2010 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMHaynes (Post 2249732)
It was probably also in the back of Bob Taylor's devious little mind that if someone bought a 414ce with rosewood, he or she might one day buy an 814ce!

Actually in Bob's devious mind you might start with a baby, move up to a 100 or 200, then to a 300 or 400, then to a 500-900, then a BTO and so on and so on. It never ends.

edward993 06-08-2010 07:31 PM

Thanks, guys. I guess it boils down to price and perception (based on model numbers). Just wondering :)

Edward