The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show and Tell (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Andrew Peterson's "Labor of Love"? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56160)

Rod 12-14-2004 12:11 PM

Andrew Peterson's "Labor of Love"?

****PLEASE SEE POST #11 IN THIS THREAD...THANKS!****

Hi folks. While I love to play, I really struggle when trying to figure out a song by ear. Just wondering if someone has put together the chords for "Labor of Love" off Andrew Peterson's new Christmas project. I'd love to benefit from your work.. :) You can email ***address removed***

Thanks!

sc_lefty 12-14-2004 03:09 PM

hey rod....

you've got mail!
enjoy,

david

Rod 12-14-2004 09:36 PM

Great job...Thanks David!

jefbar 12-20-2004 01:27 PM

I could use a hand too...

I've got to play this song this week for our Christmas Eve service and I'm behind on figuring it out beacuse of work. I know it's either using drop-D or open D tuning. Anyone who can help feel free to e-mail! Thanks!

tpj 12-22-2004 05:22 PM

Yet one more guy wanting chords

I'm also wanting to learn Andrew Peterson's "Labor of Love" on guitar (awesome song), but I thought I'd take the lazy route and try ot get the chording from someone who already had it figured out.... Any help out there? You can e-mail [email protected]

Thanks!

txmusicman 12-18-2007 04:22 PM

I really would appreciate the chords to Andrew Peterson's Labor of Love. Need it for this weekend...and it's a really busy week. email: [email protected]

Joe F 12-18-2007 04:41 PM

My wife and I did it two weeks ago in our church. mp3 attached. I did not have a chord chart, so I just did it by ear in D, Standard tuning

Kind of like

It was not a silent (G5) night) There was blood on the (D) ground (Dsus D)

You could hear a woman (G5)cry in the alleyway that (A)night on the streets of David's (D) town (Dsus D)

And the stable was not (Bm) clean, and the cobblestones were (F#m) cold. And little Mary full of (G5) grace with the tears upon her (A) face had no mother's hand to hold (D Dsus D)

Chorus:

It was a labor of (G5) pain, it was cold sky a (Bm) bove. But for the girl on the ground in the (G5) dark Every beat of her beautiful (A) heart was a labor of (D) Love Dsus D...

and so on.

There are more complex ways to do it, but that was the quick down and dirty way for me...

Have a listen..

Joe & Tina - Labor of Love

Joe F 12-19-2007 09:25 AM

Found this excellent live version on You Tube. Hard to see on my laptop without my readers handy, but it sounds like he might be playing in the key of D, but playing in C Capo'd at 2nd fret possibly. Sounds very nice...but talk about a signature UST sound! :D

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SK2PX7hH6io

bluemt. 12-19-2007 11:18 AM

Joe, You and your wife did a beautiful version of that song. I wouldn't worry about a more complex version; it's not the kind of song that needs guitar gymnastics.;) I thought your playing was tasty and did a great job of backing your wife's vocals.

I also appreciate the links to the videos. If I remember correctly, I think I saw a version of the song in DADGAD?

gordee 12-19-2007 02:02 PM

That's a great song. I'm trying to listen to Joe's clip but it keeps saying I'm not logged-in. The problem is that I am logged-in. Anyone know why that happens?
Thanks

Rod 10-16-2008 08:05 PM

Hi folks.

I get emails periodically requesting these chords ever since I made my original post. Since that post, Andrew had published a book containing the music for the entire "Behold the Lamb of God" album. Please support Andrew by ordering the book from him at www.andrew-peterson.com. The book is inexpensive and they will get it to you quickly.

Thanks!

JacquesRocker 12-14-2009 09:41 PM

Me too!

Hey sc lefty
I am doing this song for my church in a few days.
could you perhaps email me the chords too?

[

thanks!

Ruble 12-26-2009 04:33 PM

Sorry I didn't see this thread a couple weeks ago...

Andy Gullahorn and his wife Jill Phillips are the folks that do that song in AP's show...

Andy is tuned to Open C (CGCGCE) capo 2....It is a really simple song once you get used to that tuning. AP also has a song book out for it. Here are the chords...the little lick is on the fourth string.

Labor of Love
Key: D Meter: 4/4

D G
It was not a silent night
Dsus D
There was blood on the ground
D G
You could hear a woman cry
A
In the alleyways that night
Dsus D
On the streets of David's town