The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Yamaha SJ-180 Price??? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230443)

mikedalton24 10-14-2011 05:51 AM

Yamaha SJ-180 Price???

Hey Yammie lovers! I need some advice. I found one of these old SJ-180's on my local Craigslist, and was wondering what you guys thought was a fair price?
It comes with a hard case as well. There's only one picture, and it looks decent. He mentioned there's a few nicks in the head, but come one, it's almost thirty years old!!!

Any advice is appreciated.

-Mike

JLS 10-14-2011 07:13 AM

EVERYTHING must be based on this guitar's possible/probable need for a neck reset. That said--wonderful guitars, I've owned several, have one in the fixup/resell pipeline.

My 2 cents: $150, tops, if it doesn't need a neck reset. If it does, walk away, unless you have the ability to do Yamaha resets yourself.

naolslager 10-14-2011 01:18 PM

Mike,
I've bought and sold two of these. Decent guitars but with a somewhat heavy build. BUT this makes them durable and with all laminate construction they are durable. Sound can be good. The two I had did NOT need a neck reset and both were early 1980's models.

Make sure the neck looks straight and there is saddle left but i agree with the other response, I would NOT pay more than $150. The two I bought I got for $75 - they are out there.

The predecessor to the SJ-180 is the FG-331. The biggest differences are the 331 has a center "stripe" down the back and the truss rod is accessible from the headstock (behind an access plate.)

Your handle would indicate you might be in Dalton, Georgia? If so, do a search on the ATL Craig's List for "Silver Creek". I've got a T-160 advertised which is an all-solid version of the same 000 formula. And the price is right also.
dj

p^h 10-14-2011 02:00 PM

Hey Mike - I just bought an '81 this past summer. I paid $100 for mine, which was in VERY good shape except for a crack in the lower rear bout that I had fixed. It's a good-sounding laminate, and for me, one of the most playable and comfortable guitars I've ever handled. Mine doesn't need a neck reset...yet, but there's not a whole lot of saddle left after my guitar tech worked it over. Maybe one more adjustment left on it. Be sure to check this out on the SJ you're looking at. Still, I love the heck out of mine - here's some recent photos if you want to take a look. Good luck!

https://picasaweb.google.com/pindfw/...eat=directlink

mikedalton24 11-07-2011 04:42 AM

Hey guys, just realized I never thanked you all for your help. It is much appreciated. I decided against the purchase. Interestingly enough, there's another one on my local craigslist, add this person is ASKING $200!!!!!!!

Think I'll pass. Thanks again guys.

Dalton's the last name btw, I live in Louisville, Ky. Would you be interested in shipping your T-160???

naolslager 11-07-2011 06:17 AM

I sold my SC T-160 to guy who lives on my street!

dennyb 09-13-2014 06:37 PM

re: SJ-180

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLS (Post 2792777)
EVERYTHING must be based on this guitar's possible/probable need for a neck reset. That said--wonderful guitars, I've owned several, have one in the fixup/resell pipeline.

My 2 cents: $150, tops, if it doesn't need a neck reset. If it does, walk away, unless you have the ability to do Yamaha resets yourself.

I know this is an old post. In an old book I have Building a Steel String Guitar the author has a Yamaha sawed in half to illustrate how it was built. They don't need neck resets. They were built that way on purpose. That great boomy sound was partly from the tension of the strings pulling up in the top. If you take away that tension you take away the sound. This was his opinion and I have found it to be true. If you really like them for the sound then get used to the higher than usual action. Old Martins even sound better with the action up.

I just bought one for 50 bucks that someone put stickers and glue all over the back. At least an hour of my time. I agree with the 150 max price tag. Thesewere supposed to be a concert sized fg-180, So who knows maybe the prices will go up. You can't get an FG-180 for under 400 unless you get real lucky

meredith 07-04-2017 09:06 PM

I realize this is a very old post. I just found one of these here for $20. It looks in good shape.

CTGull 07-06-2017 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meredith (Post 5397191)
I realize this is a very old post. I just found one of these here for $20. It looks in good shape.

It's now $32.99 with over 4 days to go. I'd expect it to end around $100. Watch out for the shipping cost on Shopgoodwill.com, it can be as low as $10 or higher than $60.

I had one of these and sold it. I agree with one of the posters from 2011, typical of the 80's Yamaha's it was overbuilt and kind of dead in comparison with the late 60's early 70's Yamaha's. I'd pass on it at any price.