The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   need help in dating my takamine (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266712)

atoz 09-24-2012 06:07 AM

need help in dating my takamine

hi good day, I recently bought a takamine acoustic guitar. what i want to know is, when was it made & what is the model#? I've search the net that the first 2 serial numbers represents the year that it was made in my case its 30.is it 1930 or 2003? I'm very confuse, also the model # on the print already faded, I have attached some pics so you can easily identify it.Your help will be much appreciated

james84 09-24-2012 06:11 AM

I'd advise you not to go to the cinema. There'd be no conversation and the date will teach you nothing about her. Perhaps involve a walk through a park. If it rains you could share and umbrella and it will be very romantic.

GeneK 09-24-2012 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atoz (Post 3188324)
I've search the net that the first 2 serial numbers represents the year that it was made in my case its 30.is it 1930 or 2003?

Well considering your last photo shows "Takamine EST 1962" stamped into the interior...

HHP 09-24-2012 06:26 AM

Can you post a picture of the whole guitar? The one shot looks like an F-349 but I can't tell for sure.

ship of fools 09-24-2012 06:31 AM

I often find when dating

You need to make sure that your are well bathed and shoes shined and make sure you bring the nicest bouquet of yellow roses............oh dang you mean dating the year of your guitar.
the eight digit serial number

YYMMDDXX

9 digit serial number is suppose to mean the last 3 digits are the production number
ship
but I can never make it work for all numbers ( serial number info taken from the 12th Edition Blue Book of Acoustics )

lkblock 09-24-2012 09:36 AM

I recently wanted to date a Takemine guitar. I went to the Takemine website and sent an e-mail with the serial number. It took about a week to get a reply, and they were able to tell me the year of manufacture.

I would suggest that you contact Takemine with the information in your post.

Nitpicker 09-24-2012 10:00 AM

If it is a G series or non Japanese model then you can not decipher the date from the serial number. Instead you must contact Takamine with the serial number to get the date information. Only Japanese Pro series models use the serial number to indicate the date. Looking at your pictures showing the one piece saddle I think you have a 'G' series model.

atoz 09-25-2012 12:47 AM

additional pics

:D sorry I mean dating the year of my guitar @ ship of fools & james84

thank you guys for the info..already sent an email to their website still waiting for their reply

mchalebk 09-25-2012 07:27 AM

I have a Takamine classical guitar, serial number 77070417. Mike Markure (who works for Takamine) indicated it was built in July of 1977. Now, whether it was 17th guitar built on the 4th of July or the 417th guitar built in July, I just don't know.

Your serial number doesn't seem to fit the same scheme, so hopefully Takamine will send you the latest decoder ring.

HHP 09-25-2012 08:08 AM

I'm not sure what you have. Looks like an F-349 but the binding is wrong and the rosette doesn't look like a Takamine and the pickguard is not Takamine unless it was replaced. The logo inside should be on a center back brace, and this one has no center back brace. They usually stamp the model number next to the inside logo.That and the serial number sequence being odd, have no idea.

DesertTwang 09-25-2012 11:16 AM

How about a dinner and a movie?

:D

nogin007 09-25-2012 12:29 PM

It looks like it has a Martin style headstock. Does that make it one of the earlier ones?

BluesBelly 09-25-2012 08:00 PM

It sure looks like an F349 from around 1970 or so. The guitar is all laminate.
http://www.takamine.com/archive/acoustic/f349

How to date a Takamine pro series (not G series)
The serial # code is
XXYYZZZZ

XX= year
YY= Month
ZZZZ= serial numbers for that month

The date stamped on the inside of the top is the date the top and brace assembly was completed

This is the current and correct way to date a Tak as stated by a company official. Websites listing otherwise are misinformed. The serial number stamped in your guitar perdates this system.

Blues

Alexander Coe 09-25-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ship of fools (Post 3188341)
you need to make sure that your are well bathed and shoes shined and make sure you bring the nicest bouquet of yellow roses............

:D Haha! I was going to post that.

wcap 09-25-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james84 (Post 3188327)
I'd advise you not to go to the cinema. There'd be no conversation and the date will teach you nothing about her. Perhaps involve a walk through a park. If it rains you could share and umbrella and it will be very romantic.

Great post. I was wanting to post something amusing like this, but I would not have come up with anything so witty.