The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show and Tell (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Long May You Run (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454578)

reeve21 12-31-2016 11:58 AM

Long May You Run

Just recently started recording myself (ouch!) and my first attempt at posting, no idea if it will work.

After reading a very long thread about whether one's vocal ability can be improved with study I just ordered Roger Love's book and CD "Set Your Voice Free". Posting here to hold myself accountable to do the work and then post the "after" version as a test case. Nowhere to go but up!

My Martin MMV recorded on an iphone 4.

Lots of great Shakey covers posted recently. You won't confuse this one with any of those :-)

Loosely inspired by Nils Lofgren's cover of this great Neil Young tune. From "The Loner" album Nils did of all Neil covers a while back.

https://soundcloud.com/user-16619491/20161230-221558a

Guest 33123 12-31-2016 12:10 PM

Great work!

reeve21 12-31-2016 08:23 PM

Thanks Doug. Love your stuff in Soundcloud, esp. Hesitation blues and Freight Train!

Bob

Bunnyf 01-01-2017 11:48 AM

Enjoyed your post. Thanks for reminding me of a great song. I'll will put it in rotation now. I'm not a great singer, but I'm a better singer than player. When I do open mic situations, I find that a lot of guys seem to be singing in keys that are a little high for them. I don't know if it's because they feel compelled to sing in a song's original key or what. I'll be listening to hear how your course goes. I could use some help myself. Good luck.

reeve21 01-01-2017 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyf (Post 5177190)
Enjoyed your post. Thanks for reminding me of a great song. I'll will put it in rotation now. I'm not a great singer, but I'm a better singer than player. When I do open mic situations, I find that a lot of guys seem to be singing in keys that are a little high for them. I don't know if it's because they feel compelled to sing in a song's original key or what. I'll be listening to hear how your course goes. I could use some help myself. Good luck.

Thanks so much for that input and reminder about picking the right key. I took another stab at it tuned down an whole step and will save it here to compare both ways after I complete the course.

https://soundcloud.com/user-16619491/20170101-222810a

I appreciate your advice very much.

Bob

JakeStone 01-08-2017 09:24 AM

I just listened. Great stuff!
I actually liked the guitar in the first one better. It sounded more lively!
Maybe split the difference and try 1/2 step down... ?

reeve21 01-08-2017 01:28 PM

Thanks Jake, I appreciate it.

I'm doing the vocal exercises and learning a lot of stuff I had no idea of.

I'll try your suggestion of tuning down a half step when I make the "after" recording.

I'm enjoying your stuff on soundcloud!

Bob

Murphy Slaw 01-08-2017 09:21 PM

Man that takes me back !

:up:

reeve21 01-09-2017 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw (Post 5186429)
Man that takes me back !

:up:

Thanks, Murph. Me too. I saw the Stills/Young band on their 1976 tour in support of the album of the same name. That takes me way, way back :-)

OldGuitarGuy 01-10-2017 11:19 AM

Nice! I heard this on Pandora yesterday, and it reminded me that I've wanted to add it to the song list for a long time now. Great that you've challenged yourself...I've thought about getting vocal help as well. Neil Young is always hard for me to sing. I'm okay, but my range is limited....especially at the higher registers where Neil's voice lives. Keep us informed on how effective the CDs are for you.

reeve21 01-10-2017 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldGuitarGuy (Post 5188062)
Nice! I heard this on Pandora yesterday, and it reminded me that I've wanted to add it to the song list for a long time now. Great that you've challenged yourself...I've thought about getting vocal help as well. Neil Young is always hard for me to sing. I'm okay, but my range is limited....especially at the higher registers where Neil's voice lives. Keep us informed on how effective the CDs are for you.

Hi OGG,

Thanks for the listen and the input.

I am amazed at what I am learning with the Roger Love book and especially from the exercises on the CD. I never knew about things like chest voice and head voice, or not letting my Adams apple rise up for the high notes.

After a couple of days doing the exercises I was playing Lying Eyes in G. I have always had a hard time with the chorus on that song as it is above my normal range. But by shifting up and out of my chest voice I was able to improve to the point where my wife came in the room and said that sounds really good. And as a rule she enjoys my guitar playing, but the singing not so much.

There is hope :-)

reeve21 02-23-2017 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reeve21 (Post 5176025)
Just recently started recording myself (ouch!) and my first attempt at posting, no idea if it will work.

After reading a very long thread about whether one's vocal ability can be improved with study I just ordered Roger Love's book and CD "Set Your Voice Free". Posting here to hold myself accountable to do the work and then post the "after" version as a test case. Nowhere to go but up!

My Martin MMV recorded on an iphone 4.

Lots of great Shakey covers posted recently. You won't confuse this one with any of those :-)

Loosely inspired by Nils Lofgren's cover of this great Neil Young tune. From "The Loner" album Nils did of all Neil covers a while back.

https://soundcloud.com/user-16619491/20161230-221558a

I'm quoting myself above and reviving an old thread to boot :)

I've been doing Roger Love's vocal exercises pretty faithfully for 6 out of the last 7 weeks. Most every weekday for at least 15-30 minutes. I'm getting better at them. My range is improving. The tone and timbre doesn't sound any different to me, but singing has gotten easier.

Here is the same song I recorded at the beginning of the thread, done today, the "after" version. I did tune down a half step this time:D:

https://soundcloud.com/user-16619491...unagainfeb2317

islandguitar 02-23-2017 10:32 PM

Nice Bob! I think the half step down really contributes and, as you say, you're feeling more relaxed about the song right along with your exercises. I can hear that improved sound! Kudos to you for taking on this kind of challenge and putting it out here on AGF!

Glennwillow 02-24-2017 12:33 AM

Very interesting thread, Bob! I can hear the improvement over time very clearly. Very well done!

- Glenn

reeve21 02-24-2017 08:39 AM

Thanks for listening and for the encouragement, Glenn and islandguitar.

I just want to say I appreciate AGF very much. In the short time I've been here you folks have inspired me to take up finger style and work on my vocals. I'm amazed at the talent level and the support here on show and tell. Not getting the chance to play with others very often means AGF is my "guitar community," and I appreciate it very much.