The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   RECORD (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Playing Acoustic thru mixer & PA? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205511)

GuitarFundi 01-18-2011 11:52 PM

Playing Acoustic thru mixer & PA?

My brother just bought a Mackie ProFX12 mixer and ProFX PA system. I do not have an acoustic amp for my Taylor 314ce. I had read that many acoustic players just play thru a PA system at gigs and the ProFX12 has

"Hi-Z input for direct connection of guitar, bass and other instruments"

How do I do this and is it a good option? Pros/Cons?

DenverSteve 01-19-2011 01:03 AM

Actually, playing through a PA is very common and easy.

GuitarFundi 01-19-2011 01:58 PM

Do I just plug directly into the soundboard?

Do I keep my volume setting lower than the soundboard volume control and then "only" adjust for volume at the soundboard?

Are there any yeahs & neighs to do or not do? Cables, etc.

Sorry for the UberNoob questions, but I know very little about amps, etc. I really want a Fishman Loudbox, but it just aint gonna happen anytime soon. I have this very real fear that I'm going to fry something that is not mine and very expensive ;-)

Thanks

denmar355 01-19-2011 06:59 PM

playing through Mackie PA

Hi, I thought I might share my experiences with the PA way to go. I have played a fair bit through a Mackie Onyx series PA, and have tried direct and also through a L.R. Baggs Para Acoustic DI, with two different guitars/setups. I find that having the Baggs preamp to be a big plus to contour the tone from my fingertips in a way specifically made for acoustic guitar. The shelving and/or sweepable EQ available on the board is ok, but not as good by itself as the preamp. It is also important to read up on the preamp section of your PA and experiment with your level of input to insure you don't over drive the preamp section on the input of the mixer. This will make the guitar sound distorted out of the speakers if the input comes in too high. I liitle reverb can really make the guitar shine as well. :) Hope this helps.

GuitarFundi 01-19-2011 11:45 PM

Thanks All! Really helps.
I went by the Guitar Center today and asked specifically about overdriving the system and the guy (who didn't seem to know much) told me it was not possible:rolleyes:

I will be testing it tomorrow hopefully!

Rodger 01-20-2011 01:18 PM

Here's my experiences, hope it helps.

Use a standard 1/4" guitar cable from your 314ce output. What type of pickup system does the 314 have (ES, Fishman, something else?). Does it have volume and tone controls in the guitar - usually means it has a preamp built into the guitar. If it does, you can get away without an outboard preamp like the Baggs ParaDI and go directly into te HiZ Guitar input. If it has no preamp, the Baggs unit is a good one.

When connecting to a sound system for the first time, I usually set all volume controls (guitar, PA input channel, MAIN and MONITOR outputs) to minimum/all the way off. Gradually turn up the MAIN PA volume and the PA CHANNEL volume to about 25% above off. Then, gradually turn up the volume at the guitar. If you get no sound through the PA once you have rolled on some volume for all units, there is probably something not right (PA setting, something connected wrong, dead batteries in the guitar's preamp, etc.). At that point, I start confirming all connections/cables, setting, etc.

If I do get sound out of the PA, I adjust to taste. Typically, the higher you can have the guitar output - the better. So, once I get sound, I begin turning up the volume pot on the guitar (or preamp). 75% of the max volume here is OK. Of course, if you get feedback or volume is way too loud, cut back.

It's difficult to "fry" a PA system with an acoustic... I'm sure it's been done. If you take your time and make sure your connections are correct, you should have no problem.