The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   PLAY and Write (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Return of the Living "Learn a New Song Challenge" Thread (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=449982)

Guest 33123 11-18-2016 02:45 PM

Return of the Living "Learn a New Song Challenge" Thread

Hi guys,

Would anybody like to join a friendly "learn a new song" challenge? Anyone can join! Just try to learn an new song however long it takes. It's that simple. If it takes you 1 day, 1 week, 1 month or 1 year it's all good!

The only requirement is that as you learn please post your progress, triumphs and troubles here. The whole point is to support each other, talk about the learning process and have fun.

My goals:
- learn the classic ragtime tune "Red Carpet Rag" (a song in in Drop D capo'd at the second fret) from a David Laibman video. OMG does it ever look hard!
- record and post it (don't expect a masterpiece here. I find it difficult to record)

Who's in?

mr. beaumont 11-18-2016 02:53 PM

Always a great idea for a thread.

I'll participate, I need some motivation to learn a particular song I dislike but will need to play.

Laughingboy68 11-18-2016 05:38 PM

I have 397 songs in my ready to gig repertoire. I'm motivated to get to an even 400, so I'll try to learn three new tunes with this challenge. My biggest obstacle is finding something new to play. I think I'm gonna have to seek some inspiration in other people's contributions here.

TBman 11-18-2016 08:10 PM

Sounds like fun. I have a few songs in various stages of completion. I'll post my progress to date soon.

Guest 33123 11-19-2016 11:12 AM

I just watched it again. Holy crap I think I'm trouble. It's a level 4 DVD David Laibman's "Classic Ragtime Guitar" and the piece is not easy. Some background. I'd say I'm a relatively solid level 3 and I've been trying to stretch outside of my comfort zone. Last year I picked up David Laibman's "Playing the Classic Rags of Scott Joplin, James Scott and Joseph Lamb" (2 DVD set). It's a level 3/4 DVD set. I really wanted the learn some classic ragtime, especially The Entertainer. I learned the songs but even after a year I'd say the pieces are still works in progress. I can play them but they are not smooth. Being an idiot I wanted to keep moving forward and decided to pick up this video because I wanted to learn Maple Leaf Rag. So here we are. I'm in over my head. That said I did just learn 4 level 3 songs from Fur Peace Ranch in a month so I'm at least somewhat capable (I think).

TBman 11-20-2016 08:29 AM

The Entertainer is one of the songs I'm learning, but its Tommy Emmanuel's easy version.

Guest 33123 11-20-2016 10:31 AM

Looking forward to hearing your version Barry. I'd like to rerecord mine.

TBman 11-20-2016 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Doug (Post 5132912)
Looking forward to hearing your version Barry. I'd like to rerecord mine.

Once I get the second verse flowing I'll get a recording up. His version is pretty easy, I just have a hard time memorizing things.

Guest 33123 11-22-2016 01:40 PM

Getting started tonight!

Laughingboy68 11-22-2016 02:15 PM

Two decidedly "pop" songs:

Let It Go - James Bay
I Took a Pill in Ibiza - Mike Posner (trying to come up with an arrangement that includes some of the technopop hooks of the remix)

I'll be at 399. I wonder what song is gonna get the 400 spot. My biological terrorbite hard drive is almost full. I think my approach might be to edit a song off the bottom of my list as I add in the future.

Guest 33123 11-22-2016 11:04 PM

Watched the video for the intro closely and followed along in the tab. Looks pretty easy but I haven't touched the guitar yet. Just trying to get the intro into my head first. Getting there. I'll give it a shot tomorrow!

BTW here's a video of the song for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i8KtUI9X-g

TBman 11-22-2016 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Doug (Post 5135404)
Watched the video for the intro closely and followed along in the tab. Looks pretty easy but I haven't touched the guitar yet. Just trying to get the intro into my head first. Getting there. I'll give it a shot tomorrow!

BTW here's a video of the song for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i8KtUI9X-g

You can nail that, Doug. The nut on his guitar looks 1 11/16 though, keep that in mind.

I like the low profile of his capo.

Guest 33123 11-23-2016 09:02 AM

Thank you for the encouragement Barry.

Laughingboy68 11-23-2016 10:49 PM

Just added Justin Timberlake's Drink You Away. What a fun tune! It holds number 400 on my list. Seems like a limit has been reached memory wise - I'm gettin' old...

Sometimes I feel guilty to be posting here; it's a whole lot easier to lift vocal tunes than instrumental pieces. I guess I'm lucky that I'm not too self-conscious to subject people to my voice.

Guest 33123 11-25-2016 09:54 AM

Got started playing the new tune last night finally. I learned the intro (8 bars) and played it from memory so that's a good start. Since these are piano pieces transcribed for guitar the chords and picking are quite weird. I have experienced this with other classic ragtime pieces. It's kind of offputting BUT it is getting me out of my comfort zone which was the whole point of tackling level 4 material.

BTW the tune is in dropped D but capo'd at the second fret so I guess it's in dropped E!