The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electric Guitars (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Going Bass (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=362529)

Geedub 10-29-2014 08:40 AM

Going Bass

I've played acoustic for 30 years and just recently added an electric guitar. I need to add bass now for some home recording and occasionally filling in for a worship band. I plan to spend $250-$350. I'll use a small practice amp at home and the house amp at worship.

Two questions:

4 string or 5 string?

Any suggestions for good basses in that range.

arie 10-29-2014 08:43 AM

fender or yamaha. i'm partial to 5's myself

Geedub 10-29-2014 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arie (Post 4199486)
fender or yamaha. i'm partial to 5's myself

Hi arie,

Thanks for responding.

What is it that you like about 5 vs 4?

Jeff Scott 10-29-2014 05:45 PM

If that's all you can afford, don't waste adding a 5th string just find a reasonable 4 string bass. Used to maximize the money. Yamaha would be a good brand to look into.

blue 10-29-2014 05:54 PM

I am not joking. Kala Ubass

Darwin 10-29-2014 06:07 PM

You're already a guitar player and I would recommend 5 string for the low B and would seriously look for a used G&L Tribute 5 string. Whether you go for a 4 or 5, the Tributes are an extremely good value. -- Darwin

Steve DeRosa 10-29-2014 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geedub (Post 4199476)
I've played acoustic for 30 years and just recently added an electric guitar. I need to add bass now for some home recording and occasionally filling in for a worship band. I plan to spend $250-$350. I'll use a small practice amp at home and the house amp at worship...Any suggestions for good basses in that range.

I took up bass in the late-70's and, if this is your first experience, I'd not only recommend the traditional four-string but short scale (30-31") to boot; coming directly from acoustic guitar, you'll probably find the transition easier than with a long-scale (34" or more) instrument, and save a good few pounds of weight in the process. Long criticized for their supposedly "inferior" tone, short-scale basses have been a studio players' secret weapon since their '60s heyday, and are presently enjoying a long-overdue resurgence in popularity; with advances in string-making technology - and a good setup - there's nothing a short-scale bass can't do. Since you're planning on recording with acoustic guitar IME a short-scale instrument, with its naturally softer attack, just sits better in the pocket than a 34-incher and doesn't get in the way of your guitar's lower end when you start moving up the G string...

As far as instruments in your price range there's more variety to choose from than there has been in nearly fifty years, from ultra-traditional models that would have looked right at home in the hands of the Mersey groups back in 1964, to scaled-down (pun intended) renditions of contemporary long-scale favorites; if you really want to eliminate the learning curve Squier makes an excellent version of the old Fender Bass VI, tuned an octave below a regular guitar and featured on a number of the Beatles' post-Sgt. Pepper cuts as well as the first Cream album. My advice is to do a little online research - prices, specs, reviews - get out there and do some hands-on, and when the right one comes along you'll know it... :guitar:

muscmp 10-29-2014 10:45 PM

this is the talkbass forum. you may want to check it out as well as eventually their classified area.

http://www.talkbass.com/

i have a 1996 fender standard jbass that i changed the stock pickups to bartolini and it sounds great. i think i paid $200 for it about 5 years ago.

play music!

MBE 10-30-2014 08:16 AM

Going Bass

Doesn't get better than a Squier classic vibe jazz bass for the money.

Geedub 10-30-2014 08:17 AM

Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm looking forward to getting started.

PointBlank 10-30-2014 08:25 AM

I've been playing Bass with a church band for 2 years now. I was a guitar player on and off while working construction for about 20 some yrs. I actually love the Bass now and wish I would have started many years ago! It just fits me better since I've also liked to noodle around on Drums since I was 11.

At Church I use a Lakland Skyline (import) Jazz 5 string with an Audere preamp. I have too many basses now, USA and others but this one sounds excellent live with the current "rig" I'm using.

That being said I rarely use the Low B string other than a couple of weird keyed songs. And then its only a few notes between the 5th fret and maybe the 14th fret. The thicker string really doesn't sound that natural as the other's. I even use a little piece of foam under that string at the saddle to soften the volume a bit to get a more balanced tone.

Just saying a 5 string is NOT as useful as we may think. Most times just jamming around on a 4 string is all a player needs. Btw I don't play slap style or use a pick. Finger style and technique = more versatile pure tone

s2y 10-30-2014 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PointBlank (Post 4200861)
That being said I rarely use the Low B string other than a couple of weird keyed songs. And then its only a few notes between the 5th fret and maybe the 14th fret. The thicker string really doesn't sound that natural as the other's. I even use a little piece of foam under that string at the saddle to soften the volume a bit to get a more balanced tone.

The B string takes a lot of additional thought. Natural sounding low B strings are indeed possible, but it's more that some basses just don't have it, especially in the budget range. The trick is 35" scale and/or a very rigid neck. Most of the flop sound is from the neck flexing and the string clanking against the frets. A lot of the off-the-rack companies simply make their 5 and 6 string basses with the same overall design as their 4 strings. Doesn't always work.

PointBlank 10-30-2014 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s2y (Post 4200919)
The B string takes a lot of additional thought. Natural sounding low B strings are indeed possible, but it's more that some basses just don't have it, especially in the budget range.

Not to mention most Bass cabinet's are not capable of producing that low of frequencies (30 hz) efficiently. A bass with a 35" scale could help but don't stop there.

s2y 10-30-2014 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PointBlank (Post 4200927)
Not to mention most Bass cabinet's are not capable of producing that low of frequencies(30 hz). A bass with a 35" scale would help but don't stop there.

Cheap/small ones, sure. I have an Ampeg SVT4Pro bi-amped to a 4x10 and a 15. Thunderous lows. I also have a Phil Jones Super Flightcase as my small practice amp. Both amps are good because I often have a low B string and/or I use tape wound piezo fretless basses by Rob Allen. The Rob Allens require some serious low end power.

Scale length isn't the end all with the low B string. A super rigid neck can sound just as good as longer scale lengths. I have a 34" scale Cliff Bordwell and a 32" scale Cliff Bordwell that both sound great. The 32" scale has a way better B string than most store brand 34" and 35" scale basses.

PointBlank 10-30-2014 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s2y (Post 4200954)
I have an Ampeg SVT4Pro bi-amped to a 4x10 and a 15. Thunderous lows.

Dang! You win this round :)

I always wanted to test drive a Phil Jones with those crazy 5" speakers. Are they all that?