The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   What's the best small PA for a solo acoustic performers? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231778)

taz2822 10-28-2011 02:00 PM

What's the best small PA for a solo acoustic performers?

Going to do some smaller solo one man acoustic pub gigs, with a few guest appearances every now an them,. So looking for a new lightweight system that's really small but punchy for venues of about 50/100. Something with at least 4/6 channels max and reverb. But something I can adjust quickly at hand. Any advice?

williejohnson 10-28-2011 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taz2822 (Post 2807856)
Going to do some smaller solo one man acoustic pub gigs, with a few guest appearances every now an them,. So looking for a new lightweight system that's really small but punchy for venues of about 50/100. Something with at least 4/6 channels max and reverb. But something I can adjust quickly at hand. Any advice?

I've been using the Fishman SA220 for years and I highly reccomend it. It sounds wonderful and has channels for guitar and vocals, has reverb, looks good, is very light and comes with a carry case. My total set up time with this is about five minutes. I'm guessing the total weight at about 20 lbs.

lschwart 10-28-2011 03:17 PM

There's been a lot of discussion about this lately! I'll let those with extensive experience with the SoloAmp comment on how well it will cover a noisy room of 100 people, but you certainly would have to add a mixer to it to accommodate guests and etc.

If you're going to get a mixer anyway, I'd like to put in a word for a system made up of said mixer and a pair of powered PA speakers (10 or 12 inch).

Lots of ways to go in terms of particular brands, but I can at least recommend the Allen and Heath ZED10FX and RCF Art series speakers (either the 310a or the 312a) as a very good and affordable set up that will fit your stated needs. Right now in the US you can get those speakers for around $400 each and the mixer for under $300. For about $1100 that would make the core of a very nice little PA for a small acoustic act.

Of course, there are even better and more expensive possibilities out there, but I'll leave it to others to recommend them. You didn't say how much you can or want to spend.

Louis

mutantrock 10-28-2011 03:51 PM

There is no "best" so you are going to get many opinions of what is best for their style and needs. What is your price range? Do you sing? Do you want expandability to allow more musicians? Are you planning to mic your instruments or use a pickup system built into the guitar? What type of music do you play? Are you desiring a natural acoustic sound or do you use effects? These are a few important considerations when deciding which system or amp would be best for YOU.

taz2822 10-28-2011 04:08 PM

This is the scenario - Solo acoustic based original stuff with some covers thrown in. Acoustic style only, no effects, "Springsteen unplugged' best describes me. Mcilroy Accoustic, Gibson j200, all with the same Fishman Matrix Blend undersaddle and gooseneck mic pickup. I sing. I'm more of a singer who plays guitar. The ''song' and the interpretation is the key. The Price range, no issues @ $700 - $3000. Only issue is I'm a plug and play guy. I've alway had "people do it for me". Now I just want to get in my car and play and perform without the techno hassle. I have zero sound tech knowledge. To me it's about the performance. If I could do it without electronics I would! I love getting friends up and just jamming and seeing what happens, so need the flexibility to acommodate them without switching the audience off with sound checks etc.
Hope that helps.

mutantrock 10-28-2011 08:18 PM

Wow!! Nice guitar collection!
If you want simple , light and about 5-10 minute setup then the Fishman Soloamp ( $1,000 USD )or one of the Bose L1 system ( $2,000 USD) may be ideal. The Bose is 4 channel and the Fishman is two channel.

alexevans917 10-28-2011 09:28 PM

I'll be buying a Soloamp soon, and in terms of plug and play, it's unbeatable. If you plan on playing with friends a lot however, it may not be the best choice. I'd say something like a Fender Passport might be good, as it's simple, portable, easy to setup, decent sounding, and can encorporate other musicians. Louis's recommendation is also a good one. With a max budget of $3000 however, you could probably go for QSC K8's or K10's, which are pretty phenomenal powered speakers. The option of an acoustic amp is also very simple, and I know many people use Roland AC60's and 90's or Marshall AS50d and AS100d for small pub shows. In the end it's what appeals to your ear, eye, arm, and budget. I would say ask friends who play what they use, go to shows and see what the setup is any if you like the sound, and then make an educated decision.

Best of luck, live sound is fun.

Alex Evans

taz2822 10-29-2011 04:04 AM

Most of my friends have large Peavey, Yamaha systems with larger mixing consoles, and load of wires etc and have more experience in sound mixing. Sometimes it takes up too much room and time. The Bose system seems an option, but I've never heard on in action

Herb Hunter 10-29-2011 04:39 AM

In the under $3,000 category, my choice would be the Bose L1 Model II with the optional ToneMatch Audio Engine. Actually, I'd prefer it over some more expensive systems. The less expensive L1 Model I offers most of the performance of the Model II.

leftysonly 10-29-2011 07:25 AM

I would highly recommend buying three QSC K-10 speakers (one as a monitor), a pair of stands, and a small 8-channel mixer. The QSCs sound great and can get as loud as you'll want in those size rooms.

Hambone 10-29-2011 07:34 AM

Fender passport works for me.

leehop71 10-30-2011 12:04 PM

Believe it or not, I've been using a Behringer 8 channel, unpowered mixer, and 8" Behringer powered speakers. I go into nursing homes and entertain, never more than 100, and I've never had the speaker volume higher than 9 o'clock.

Speakers.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHB208D

Mixer.

http://www.samash.com/p/Behringer_XE...ixer_-49954001

Like I said I've been using this with heavily for over a year!

alexevans917 10-30-2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leftysonly (Post 2808545)
I would highly recommend buying three QSC K-10 speakers (one as a monitor), a pair of stands, and a small 8-channel mixer. The QSCs sound great and can get as loud as you'll want in those size rooms.

If you can afford the QSC's... they sound phenomenal.

steveyam 10-30-2011 01:10 PM

Bose lead the way in sound quality, portability and erection/breakdown time. Depending on the size of your gigs, check out the Bose L1 compact, or the L1 model 2. I have been using mine for over two years and it is the single most impressive piece of kit that I have ever owned during a lifetime of buying and using all manner of high end guitars, guitar amps and PA systems. In short, it does not sound like a PA, it is extremely pure, like a loud, hi quality hi-fi system. And the throw is 190 degrees (Yup, 190 degrees) as opposed to the narrow beam of 'punchy', coloured sound often put out by conventional 'boxed' speaker systems.

Just go to a store and try one. But take your money, cos you will buy it. ;)

alexevans917 10-30-2011 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveyam (Post 2809867)
Bose lead the way in sound quality, portability and erection/breakdown time. Depending on the size of your gigs, check out the Bose L1 compact, or the L1 model 2. I have been using mine for over two years and it is the single most impressive piece of kit that I have ever owned during a lifetime of buying and using all manner of high end guitars, guitar amps and PA systems. In short, it does not sound like a PA, it is extremely pure, like a loud, hi quality hi-fi system. And the throw is 190 degrees (Yup, 190 degrees) as opposed to the narrow beam of 'punchy', coloured sound often put out by conventional 'boxed' speaker systems.

Just go to a store and try one. But take your money, cos you will buy it. ;)

I would say yes to the L1, but no to the Compact... at that price, the Fishman Soloamp is a lot nicer sounding. If you think its lacking bass, you could add a small powered speaker (K8 or K10 would work beautifully), and still have a very portable, loud, great sounding rig.