The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   The reverse of GAS (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260142)

Doubleneck 07-27-2012 05:26 AM

The reverse of GAS

We all here love guitars, I have had GAS all my life and have 10? guitars. Have any of you ever bought a guitar that just seems "it" for you and you just find it hard to play anything else? It seems to have happened to me, time will tell, and I can see myself in the sell mode or UnGASing myself. Maybe it's just the time of life. Wonder was the opposite abbreviation for GAS would be? Steve

DNestler 07-27-2012 05:43 AM

The reverse of GAS would be selling off that very handsome collection you have. ;)

My GAS is in remission and has been since 2001 when I bought my SCGC dreadnought. Unless you're actively culling the "herd," that's really all you can hope for!

Daniel

Judson 07-27-2012 05:44 AM

That's SAG ... When you reach the point that you seriously want to thin the heard, and get rid of your excess instruments, you've come down with a case of SAG ... Sudden Aversion to Guitars :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubleneck (Post 3125571)
We all here love guitars, I have had GAS all my life and have 10? guitars. Have any of you rever bought a guitar that just seems "it" for you and you just find it hard to play anything else? It seems to have happened to me, time will tell, and I can see myself in the sell mode or UnGASing myself. Maybe it's just the time of life. Wonder was the opposite abbreviation for GAS would be? Steve

ishtar 07-27-2012 05:47 AM

For most of us, the anti-gas syndrome is abbreviated, "S.D."

Self deception.

I suppose you think you'll get along very well with the Carvin Doubleneck alone. But soon, you'll be looking through... I don't know,... perhaps the Daisy Rock instruments at online retailers and, bang, you'll be back up to two.

Fatstrat 07-27-2012 05:52 AM

I vote for GDS (Guitar Dumping Syndrome).

Ed C. 07-27-2012 06:20 AM

The reverse of GAS is RIP!

dwbarg 07-27-2012 07:14 AM

My acronym for opposite of GAS would be OOF...out of funds.LOL

Doubleneck 07-27-2012 07:25 AM

Probably that Self Deception is right. Someone would come out with a new Taylor Swift signature model and I would have to have it.
Steve

el_kabong 07-27-2012 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishtar (Post 3125584)
For most of us, the anti-gas syndrome is abbreviated, "S.D."

Self deception.

I suppose you think you'll get along very well with the Carvin Doubleneck alone. But soon, you'll be looking through... I don't know,... perhaps the Daisy Rock instruments at online retailers and, bang, you'll be back up to two.

That's funny....but, I wonder about the math here. Anyone with so many doublenecks may already have a problem counting guitars:)

lmacmil 07-27-2012 09:06 AM

Having gone from 2 to 4 guitars in the last 18 months, I've already concluded that 4 is one too many for me. I will be putting one on Craigslist soon. Two of the other 3 are keepers but I may trade the 3rd for something else.

I just don't understand the desire or need to have more than 3 or 4 guitars unless you are James Taylor or Paul Simon or similar.

M Sarad 07-27-2012 09:13 AM

One guitar or one hundred?

Whatever you can afford or makes you happy is fine by me.

ianLP59 07-27-2012 09:14 AM

The reverse of GAS is obviously SAG (sell all guitars...)

Ian

Andromeda 07-27-2012 09:23 AM

I purchased my baritone in January this year. It is the new Alvarez Baritone. It cost $330. My $2,5000 custom Taylor has been sitting most of the time. I no longer have GAS.

Doubleneck 07-27-2012 09:31 AM

When your getting rid of GAS it could involve a good BURP

Better (to) Unload (at the) Right Price

dawhealer 07-27-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmacmil (Post 3125775)
I just don't understand the desire or need to have more than 3 or 4 guitars unless you are James Taylor or Paul Simon or similar.

I think that's pretty simple. Different acoustic guitars have different "personalities." In 53 years of playing, buying, and selling guitars, I've hit on a dozen acoustics and one electric that I wouldn't want to be without (I just sold one off), including two of the same model from the same builder (but which sound radically different from one another). Some of my guitars get played more than others, but they all get played. Has to do with whatever mood I'm in, what I want to hear, and what kind of set I'm going to be playing. I bought some with specific needs in mind and some because they just "spoke" to me. If it's a Spanish folk song, I'll probably use a classical. If I'm playing Delta blues, I might use a reso. It's about variety, and some of us like more variety than others. It really is that simple.