The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   PSA: dBx GoRack (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454223)

maxtheaxe 12-28-2016 03:42 AM

PSA: dBx GoRack

I ran across these on Reverb at this $30.00 price a few months back, when all the other prices I could find on the same unit were about $90.00. I have a couple of the truly outstanding dBx Driverack PA units in my PA rack (one for FOH, one for monitors) and these use much the same processing (minus the real time analyzer and deeper function set), so I bought two.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...CToaAhrg8P8HAQ

What is it? This is an EQ processor, among other things; it has a bunch of EQ curve presets that you apply, depending on what type of music/venue, etc., and then it has several narrow-bandwidth floating filters that attenuate feedback frequencies almost like notch filters...it kinda learns the room and gives you way more headroom. It also has a dBx compression algorithm that can be applied, based on the vaunted dBx 163, and a sub-harmonic synthesizer that reinforces bass frequencies, probably geared toward DJ systems. It can also be used as a mic preamp, as it has quite a bit of useful gain on tap. There are a couple of good videos on the sales page at Sweetwater that walk you through it nicely.

I've had great success with the Driverack PA units in my live rig and tried the GoRack on my little mini-system that we use in rehearsal. Our rehearsal space is pretty small and we've had a lot of annoying problems with feedback...couldn't get the vocals loud enough to compete with the drums, guitars, bass. I put one of these little guys in the chain and now, as I bring up the mains level and feedback starts to creep in, it just fades away and pretty much stays away, giving lots of clarity and headroom.

No more manually ringing out a room, trying to attenuate problem frequencies with a conventional equalizer, only to have all the guts and clarity dialed out along with the feedback because the bandwidth is too wide. As noted, this is more like very narrow bandwidth/notch filters that sense, then attenuate a very specific problem frequency and leaves everything else alone.

Are you kidding me? This is a no-brainer for $30.00. The DriveRack units are quite nice as well...at $400.00 a pop... but this little guy accomplishes much the same thing for smaller venues or solo performers and is a bit easier to use, although I actually wouldn't be afraid to use one of these in place of the Driveracks in my main PA system if something were to happen to the more expensive units.

I remember the days when this kind of functionality would set you back five figures...:up:

lt20dbl 12-28-2016 11:08 AM

I just bought one from Sweetwater. It's still in the box. I want to try it with my new JBL Eon One.

JakeStone 12-28-2016 01:11 PM

Thanks for posting!

I'm sure I'll find several uses for it...
This looks like it will enhance the sound on my solo acoustic rig.
I am using a single QSC K10 powered speaker with a small mixer.

Bought it from Amazon for under $30.. Seems like a no brainer!

NoodleFingers 12-28-2016 04:23 PM

Amazon's got it for < $30, too. (As of now)

midwinter 12-28-2016 06:38 PM

That reminds me that I bought one of those a while back and it's sitting in the bottom of my rolling box.

Laughingboy68 12-29-2016 09:32 PM

Ordered one today. Price is twice that by the time I get it to Canada, but it's still a deal.

maxtheaxe 12-30-2016 01:18 AM

I just happened across some GoRacks on Reverb for $25.00. I've had good experience buying on that site...but still have to say there are some advantages to buying new gear through Sweetwater.

I think they blow out stuff like this when a new version is due to come out, which is what they were doing when I got my Driverack PA units. For my purposes I don't mind getting the penultimate rather than the latest thing, especially if I can get it for half the cost I would otherwise have paid.

canerod 12-30-2016 06:25 AM

The price for these has been $29.99 at all dealers for quite some time now. I bought mine at least 6 months ago for that price and find it quite useful. For solo gigs I leave the mixer at home and use just the goRack into a powered speaker.

There have been quite a few threads on this already:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ghlight=gorack

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...ghlight=gorack

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...16#post5118116

cloudyafternoon 12-30-2016 04:52 PM

I was considering buying one just for fun and to try the compression, but I'm not enamored with any of the preset EQs (I like a HPF/bass cut at 100 and a mid cut around 1-1.6kHz). Without any presets I like and without the ability to adjust the presets, this loses some of the selling point for me.

canerod 12-31-2016 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloudyafternoon (Post 5175131)
I was considering buying one just for fun and to try the compression, but I'm not enamored with any of the preset EQs (I like a HPF/bass cut at 100 and a mid cut around 1-1.6kHz). Without any presets I like and without the ability to adjust the presets, this loses some of the selling point for me.

The presets aren't great, but acceptable if you are running only one source through the goRack. Say just acoustic guitar using the "acoustic" setting.

I run a guitar mic and vocal mic through the goRack. I set the goRack eq on preset 11, the "de-mud" setting, which notches out the 150-350 kHz range on both sources. I adjust the high and low eq on the individual channels on the powered speaker. I also use the anti feedback feature , as well as very minimal compression (set around 15) on the goRack.

Works great. For $29.99 it's the best band for the buck around.

JakeStone 12-31-2016 08:13 AM

I got mine delivered yesterday.. Amazon Prime deal.

Just plugged my acoustic in....Sound wise...It definitely adds character and doesn't detract anything. I don't have a compressor So the $30 was worth it for that alone. Add the feedback feature and dual ins and outs makes it a winner. I didn't get chance to mess with the EQ too much. I just set it on the Acoustic setting.

I love low cost music gadgets and this one is a winner!

Laughingboy68 01-08-2017 02:44 PM

Hooked mine up for the first time yesterday. Clean, clear, loud and smooth with nary a hint of feedback even when cranked without a feedback buster. Yum!

Kalani 01-09-2017 08:04 AM

Thanks for the info. Never heard of this. Just read all the great reviews and ordered one! ($24.25 on eBay, new, with free expedited shipping!)

gfa 01-09-2017 12:41 PM

Thanks, I just ordered one. You can see my thread from last week, inquiring about feedback suppressors. For $30, I'll give it a whirl!

gfa 01-09-2017 02:11 PM

I'm going to be using the GoRack with a Carvin AG300 amp. The amp has an effects send and return I/O. Any reason why the GoRack wouldn't work in that chain? We use mics for instruments & vocals. My mics need 48v phantom power. The amp supplies power, but the GoRack doesn't. That's the reason for using it in the effects loop. Thanks.