The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   RECORD (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   [Deleted Thread] (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=463871)

Guest 4711 03-20-2017 02:38 PM

[Deleted Thread]

[Deleted Thread]

jpd 03-20-2017 02:44 PM

Hi Randers...there is a section with a wealth of knowledge on recording. You'll find a lot of people to help you over there ;)

Song 03-20-2017 02:55 PM

You can use a usb mic or an audio interface with garageband or the daw of your choice (reaper is excellent software).
I recommend watching videos on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ng+macbook+pro

Rmz76 03-20-2017 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randers (Post 5275189)
Apologies in advance if this thread should have been posted in a different discussion.

Simple question, but probably a much more complicated answer... I have:

1. My guitar
2. A MacBook Pro
3. Time

All I would like is to be able to record my instrumental songs so that they can be distributed to friends, family, social media etc. I understand I need a microphone, but do I need any sort of software? Which type of microphone is best if I stick 95% to finger-style?

Cheers,
Ryan

Hi Ryan,

If you want to make high quality recordings, on a budget I recommend the Focusrite Scarlett Solo or 2i2 Duo. They sell the unit stand alone starting at $100 (for solo) bundled with headphones and a reasonably good quality condenser microphone for around $200. It comes with multi-track recording software, a lite version of the popular Digital Audio Workstation software Ableton Live. There are a lot of great on-line resources on YouTube, etc.. which cover the spectrum of what you can do with Ableton Live (chart topping albums have been recorded using it, possibilities are endless) and even on-line courses on it if you want to jump deep into the rabbit hole. If you just want to stick to the basics, it's not difficult. The video below actually shows you everything you need to know to use it with the interface.... If you find the Ableton Live software that comes with it too difficult, the Focusrite will also work with Garage Band which is a free download for Mac Pro users. You said you have time on your hands so I'd suggest giving both a try.

The audio you hear in the video was recorded with the Forcusrite 2i2 using the bundled mic and software.

If money is less of an issue and you just want the best quality in a home audio interface have a look at the Apollo Twin.

Another option is to leave the computer out of the mix and invest $100-$200 in an high quality handheld digital recorder with built in condenser microphones.I have a TASCAM DR-40 and when I'm playing guitar it's always with me.

rlb9682 03-20-2017 03:11 PM

If you just want to record and distribute to friends and family I'd just use the Quicktime player that's already on your Mac. If you're not worried about studio quality recordings, this is the quickest and maybe easiest way to do this; at least as far as I know.

http://www.mactip.net/how-to-record-sound-on-a-mac/

Song 03-20-2017 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rmz76 (Post 5275230)
If you want to make high quality recordings, on a budget I recommend the Focusrite Scarlett Solo or 2i2 Duo.

Excellent choices! I use the Solo and it works great.
https://us.focusrite.com/scarlett-range

Malcolm Kindnes 03-20-2017 03:14 PM

Hi there,
It might seem like a strange answer, but I think it depends on your age! Young people seem to have no difficulty with this stuff, but I have made several attempts at recording myself with various pieces of equipment and it always seems like an awful lot of fuss and bother. I am 67 by the way.
I now record myself directly onto an iPad and put the videos up on Facebook and the quality isn't great but my friends are happy with the results.
If you want better quality, I suggest you get a young person to help you, unless of course you are young yourself, in which case you should be able to figure it out with your computer.
Good luck,
Malcolm

Malcolm Kindnes 03-20-2017 03:17 PM

I've just noticed that you have a MacBook Pro, this should have software called GarageBand installed already. I've never used this but I hear it is very good if you can figure it out.
Again, good luck.

JakeStone 03-20-2017 03:32 PM

AGF has a section devoted to recording and lots of great information there... search and read.. Ask questions there on Recording.
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...splay.php?f=43

Here is a little of my advice ..
You can buy a Zoom (brand) or other digital portable recorder. Google will help find the prices and various models.

The Zoom is a digital recorder with built-in microphones. It records and you can easily transfer the audio to your macbook..... I just pop out the memory card and pop it in my memory reader on my laptop.... with no software or any editing necessary. I used a zoom for several years and it was great.

With that said... Now I use an USB Audio Interface (similar to the Focusrite model recommended earlier). This requires more "gear" like microphone and headphones and some software if you want to "edit" or clean up the recordings.

Hope this helps.. But the Digital Recorder (Zoom) would be the quickest and easiest..

viccortes285 03-20-2017 04:26 PM

This was recorded on my Zoom Q2n
https://youtu.be/_RWlaMjuLDI

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tonyo 03-20-2017 09:56 PM

Yeah, I've got a zoom h5, and i also interface it as required to garage band on the mac. The zoom is great quality and small and portable, so i can record to it, or record to the macbook if the situation permits.

https://www.reverbnation.com/tonyobermeit

All that was recorded with the zoom

viccortes285 03-20-2017 10:00 PM

That entire clip was recorded once just to adjust the Bose with my D/R amp. For the price hard to beat the sound or video.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DavidE 03-21-2017 06:38 AM

Quote:

Apologies in advance if this thread should have been posted in a different discussion.

1. My guitar
2. A MacBook Pro
3. Time

All I would like is to be able to record my instrumental songs so that they can be distributed to friends, family, social media etc. I understand I need a microphone, but do I need any sort of software? Which type of microphone is best if I stick 95% to finger-style?

Cheers,
Ryan

If you have an iOS device (iPhone, iPad), you can download the free app Music Memos. Extremely easy.

KevWind 03-21-2017 06:59 AM

Quote:

1. My guitar
2. A MacBook Pro
3. Time

Cheers,
Ryan

I would suggest the first things you should do is decide is
#1 what kind of quality of sound are you looking for,
#2 depending on that decision what kind of budget range are willing to consider .
#3 what kind of time/and possibly money are you really, willing to spend learning the art and craft of recording.

Having a preliminary notion of these three things as at least a starting point, will in fact make the search through the vast array of possibilities go much, much...much , more efficiently.

The "quality of sound" question can be looked at as ranging from simple "archival" ( a representation of your playing) to full blown high end commercial sound reproduction, and everything in between in incremental steps.

The simple archival end of the spectrum would require no additional equipment or expenditure beyond the MacBook you currently have. You can use the built in mic on the Macbook and as others have mentioned either the bundled QuickTime or GarageBand or iMovie . This will give you a reproduction of your playing with marginal sound .

Then beyond simple archival it is really a matter of budget which can be from a few hundred dollars.... to literally tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars for a high a end home studio and gear.

Time wise for archival you can start now with just the MacBook and be recording in a few minutes.
The better the "quality" you are after the more time will you spend learning.... to it taking years to learn how to make commercial quality recordings

Fairlight 03-21-2017 07:17 AM

Good suggestions above. Are you wanting to do editing or add effects to your recorded audio? If so, then Garageband is the way to go. All you need is a simple audio interface and a mic or two. Then follow any of the dozens of online tutorials for getting going. If you want to record something quick and easy without the hassle of dealing with a computer, go with a good quality handheld. I recommend the Zoom H5 with the X/Y mics. You can then do basic editing on the device and export it directly to a computer and the outside world. REALLY great sound out of the box!