The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   OK so Here We Go! (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571410)

Mark Stone 02-05-2020 10:12 PM

OK so Here We Go!

I just had a long talk with my local luthier about Emerald Guitars. This is a guy I've known since the 1970s and I've played in bands with, a fellow I trust. He has some first hand experience with Emerald and loves them, and speaks very highly about their quality and sound. I've been a little concerned because of posts I've read here at AGF and some other reviews that question the setups, but my friend says he'll make any adjustments I need. So he pushed me over the edge - I'll be ordering an X30 probably the first week of March. I'm likely to order off the Current Stock page because I have no special needs -- so I'm in, and it's in my sig :)

Imagine that - I used to be "Mr. Gibson" at the AGF, and have now transitioned to CF -- Dang!

Kerbie 02-05-2020 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Stone (Post 6285059)
Imagine that - I used to be "Mr. Gibson" at the AGF, and have now transitioned to CF -- Dang!

Happens to the best of us, Mark. Lol... :lol: Congratulations!

Mark Stone 02-05-2020 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerbie (Post 6285063)
Happens to the best of us, Mark. Lol... :lol: Congratulations!

Thanks Kerbie, I'm excited. When I found out you carried an X7 it helped push me that way too - :)

Kerbie 02-05-2020 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Stone (Post 6285069)
Thanks Kerbie, I'm excited. When I found out you carried an X7 it helped push me that way too - :)

Ah, the enabler in me. Guilty as charged. :cool:

jcpharm 02-06-2020 07:09 AM

Congratulations Mark - very happy for you and can't wait to see which model you choose for yourself. so many cool colors and/or veneers....

Captain Jim 02-06-2020 08:11 AM

Good decision, Mark. You may have to change your location, however, since the Emerald you choose won't have to stay in its case. ;) Keep us posted.

mot 02-06-2020 10:13 AM

If you chat with someone (Chloe?) at Emerald and tell them your plans, they may give you first pick of any stock X30s that will be coming available in the next month or two. Remember 'NOs" are free. I try to collect as many as I can and even occasionally get a "YES". Ask if you want and you may end up getting your pick of the litter immediately or waiting a few weeks for "The One".

Mark Stone 02-06-2020 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Jim (Post 6285246)
Good decision, Mark. You may have to change your location, however, since the Emerald you choose won't have to stay in its case. ;) Keep us posted.

:D:D

LOL good one Jim - I'll have to change it to "On its stand"

Guest 928 02-06-2020 10:33 AM

Mark;

Well, the 30 is a good start. But Emeralds come in various sizes, shapes, colors and so forth. Now that you are in the jewelry business you may find that one is not enough. WARNING: Emeralds are addictive.

RP 02-06-2020 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvanB (Post 6285373)
Mark;

Well, the 30 is a good start. But Emeralds come in various sizes, shapes, colors and so forth...

And I'd concur that the In Stock versions are a great place to start. There's no such thing as a bare-bones Emerald - only less and more expensive...

steelvibe 02-06-2020 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Stone (Post 6285365)
:D:D

LOL good one Jim - I'll have to change it to "On its stand"

Or "hanging on a wall". While maybe not everybody's mug of whatever-you-put -in-yours, Emerald is cutting edge art where form meets function. It took a while for me to accept the design but they have really grown on my over the last couple years.

GuitarLuva 02-06-2020 03:39 PM

Congratulations you made a good choice. I find the X20 has a "familiar" sound to what we're used to but the X30 has a sound all on its own.

jwellsy 02-06-2020 05:35 PM

Ask them to set it up for your kind of playing. Tell them what % strumming, flat picking and fingerpicking you plan on doing with the X30. It also wouldn't hurt to tell them what kind of picks you prefer and any other particulars of your preferences like string gauges and nut width.

One good thing about a custom made one besides getting what ever you want is that it's only half down after you work out the details of what you do want. Then the balance isn't due till 3 - 4 months later after it's built. That makes the upgraded models real affordable.

Dbone 02-06-2020 06:33 PM

:up::up::up: Congrats