The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Andy Griffith's Guitar Style (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153720)

ductape 05-05-2009 05:12 PM

Andy Griffith's Guitar Style

Okay, for some reason this has stuck in my head and I can't seem to let it go. :eek: I watched Andy the other nite, while he was playing out on the porch, and what is he doing? What kind of picking/strumming is he doing? :hmm: I can hear him and Rafe in my head, but can't figger it out! I've done searches (with my limited understanding) and come up empty. Any DVD's that'll teach it? Please no u tube thingys, :sick: I have dial up. I just love these stupid smiley faces :lol:

HHP 05-05-2009 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ductape (Post 1836408)
Okay, for some reason this has stuck in my head and I can't seem to let it go. :eek: I watched Andy the other nite, while he was playing out on the porch, and what is he doing? What kind of picking/strumming is he doing? :hmm: I can hear him and Rafe in my head, but can't figger it out! I've done searches (with my limited understanding) and come up empty. Any DVD's that'll teach it? Please no u tube thingys, :sick: I have dial up. I just love these stupid smiley faces :lol:

I remember watching him on the show. My description of his style is an archaic version of fingerstyle where the thumb plays alternating bass notes followed by an upward brush of the index finger to sound the chord. Doubt you would need a DVD, just sit down and do it .

j45dale 05-05-2009 06:58 PM

I don't know where to get any info on learning this style, but I used to see a lot of the old timers using this style when I was a kid.( I'm 56).
I picked it up by watching them, and use it a lot while playing Old-Time tunes by myself. It allows me to strum faster without as as much wrist action.
I drag my thumb down the strings and brush up the strings with my index finger. When finger-picking, I bass thump the top strings and pluck out the tune with my index finger. Its a fun break from flat picking.
To add to the mix, in 2003 I bought a Martin D18AG (Andy Griffith Sig). Its a loud guitar, so on it, this pickless finger style works very well. But to my ear the best Old Time and Piedmont Blues sounds still come out of my Dads, late 40's Gibson L-G2.
It's all good,
Dale.

mmmaak 05-05-2009 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ductape (Post 1836408)
Please no u tube thingys, :sick: I have dial up.

That still exsits in the US? Seriously, I thought broadband access made dial-up obsolete there years ago.

ductape 05-05-2009 07:27 PM

Thanks for the replies folks! Guess I'll experiment. Still think someone out there does this nowadays ;) As for dial up, here in Mayberry, it's all we have. And it gets slower, and slower,.....and ssssllllloooo

random works 05-05-2009 08:23 PM

Actually, to duplicate that style you need an old fashioned front porch and maybe a slice of home made apple pie.

banjar 05-05-2009 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmmaak (Post 1836491)
That still exsits in the US? Seriously, I thought broadband access made dial-up obsolete there years ago.

Many people in the US have dialup. A lot of people cant afford or (like me) absolutely refuse to pay $500/year (or more) just for freakin internet access. I can get high speed, but I have dialup. It costs 6.95/mo.

jimmy bookout 05-05-2009 09:13 PM

I can't help you with Andy's guitar style but thought this would be of interest to some. The theme song to the show was written by Earl Hagen and was an instrumental. In the second season, an actor named Everett Sloane apperared on the show as moonshiner Jubal Foster. Sloane was so taken by the show and the characters that he wrote lyrics to Hagen's tune. The song is titled "The Fishin' Hole". Hum the tune and read the lyrics, it is just great.

http://www.andygriffithshow.net/theme.php

Jimmy

djeffcoat 05-06-2009 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HHP (Post 1836412)
I remember watching him on the show. My description of his style is an archaic version of fingerstyle where the thumb plays alternating bass notes followed by an upward brush of the index finger to sound the chord. Doubt you would need a DVD, just sit down and do it .

I have to agree with HHP and to add my description, I would say that his style comes close to what is called Clawhammer. That is a style of strumming used on old-time banjo. You might find DVDs or books that show you that.

DJ

ductape 05-06-2009 06:22 AM

Claw hammer makes sense. It just fascinates me how it sounds like it does and looks like it does. Course, the same could be said about my playing too. :D

....as for the down memory lane, when I was in High School, the feller that whistles the theme song came to our school for a program. He is blind/sightless and was an amazing fellow! That man could whistle anything anyway! He put the birds to shame! :eek:

alan814 05-06-2009 06:48 AM

Andy Griffith

:D If memory serves (who can tell?), Johnny Cash used a very similiar style when he strummed. I believe it was probably fairly common back in those days. Also, did you know, Andy has a degree in music and actually taught? Very talented man! I wish I could afford a Martin AG guitar. Of all the signature models they make, that one would be my pick, followed closely by a Bob Shane model.

banjar 05-06-2009 07:15 AM

I dont know about you, but I'm getting a craving for some of Aunt Bea's cooking.

Now you've got me curious, specially if he's playing it like a banjar....anyone got a video clip of Andy playing guitar?

Next up: Ernest T Bass's singing and can-thumping styles.

Old Aunt Maria, jump in the fi-ah,
Fire too hot, jump in the pot,
Pot to black, jump in the crack,
Crack to high, jump in the sky,
Sky to blue, jump in canoe,
Canoe too shallow, jump in the tallow,
Tallow too soft, jump in the loft,
Loft to rotten, jump in the cotton,
Cotton so white she stay there all night

http://www.wavsource.com/snds_2009-0..._jump_fire.wav

JohnZ 05-06-2009 07:29 AM

It's been a long time since I've seen that show but I recall his style as being something between Carter family and a Pete Seeger banjo roll.

Back then in the early sixties it was simply cool to see an actual Martin guitar getting air time on TV and not some prop instrument. Same thing for occasionally seeing Flatt & Scruggs on The Beverly Hillbillies.

kydave 05-06-2009 07:48 AM

I was just watching an old episode where Aunt Bee sends Opie a sarape and sombrero from her Mexico vacation. Opie goes over and grabs the D-18 with a very noticable "CLUNK" against something as he picks it up to strum a couple mariachi chords. Andy doesn't even cringe... The poor Martin weenies nowadays would've had a heart attack!

j45dale 05-06-2009 08:02 AM

I agree with JohnZ, this style is a form of Maybelle Carters style.
One of the hardest of these old tunes is my Dixie Darlin, see it on youTube.
I do have a front porch for picking.:D
Dale.