The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electric Guitars (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   One Pedal to Rule Them All (or maybe two) (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=474174)

jdmulli 06-22-2017 09:05 AM

One Pedal to Rule Them All (or maybe two)

The Preamble:
I've seen the following questions on other forums and it's probably been discussed here, but I'll ask anyways.

The Questions:
If you could only use one pedal for an electric guitar gig, what would it be?
If you could use two pedals for an electric guitar gig, what would they be?

The Stipulations:
Assume that a tuner doesn't count, and you can't use a digital multi-fx.
The amp and guitar is your choice, but I would like to know.

The Purpose:
I want new pedals to try!

blue 06-22-2017 09:27 AM

A great delay. Preferably one with two settings, like my BBE Two Timer.

The reason is that a lot of reverb is grounded in a delayed signal. So I can go slapback, and I can also sort of fake a reverb. Most surf guys know how to fake a reverbish sound with a delay because they've had to when reverb units fail. I'd rather have great delay than a bad reverb pedal for surf. So that same effect can be used for any genre.

I'm basing this on having a great two channel amp that will give me a clean and overdriven sound without a boost or distortion pedal.

Marley 06-22-2017 10:02 AM

I play into a Fender Bassman so no effects whatsoever on the amp.

My pedal board is super simple: distortion-wah-phaser-delay-reverb-volume. I have a tremelo but can pretty much get that effect using the volume pedal a la Michael Houser

I guess my one would be distortion, without it I have nothing.

My two would be my distortion and probably wah. I play straight up clean a lot and just switch pickups and tone control.

I find that I don't use delay very often just a little bit on certain songs. I use the reverb sometimes in practice but never during shows as I never need it. I love my Ernie B volume pedal but could live without it. I also love and use my phaser quite a bit for the reggae stuff.

StevenL 06-22-2017 10:09 AM

Line 6 M9 ....

Steely Glen 06-22-2017 10:29 AM

I would have to go with a Strymon Timeline if I had only one. From that, I could coax a usable reverb sound from a warm slapback delay, but also be able to have modulated delays and whatnot.

But then I would demand to have an amp with a great gain section and reverb (like a Mesa Boogie Mark V:25 or similar) so that I wouldn't need the Timeline to do so much.

If two, it would be a great transparent OD like a Greer Lightspeed or JHS Morning Glory with said amp to hit the front end harder....and still the Strymon Timeline.

Bob Womack 06-22-2017 10:49 AM

I'd go with the Analog Alien Joe Walsh Double Classic for compression and drive/boost and a Neunaber Expanse that allows all sorts of ambiences and effects to be loaded into one pedal.

Bob

fazool 06-22-2017 10:50 AM

MXR Phase 90 (or 99)
some distortion/od/fuzz

6L6 06-22-2017 10:52 AM

No contest for me.

I think the BOSS RV-3 Digital Delay/Reverb is the best single pedal ever made. But it does take some time to learn all it can do.

Time well spent!

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7jlmyqis.jpg

muscmp 06-22-2017 12:15 PM

easy, strymon deco. gives some overdrive and a choice of flange, echo, chorus or slapback. covers a lot of bases.

two pedals would be strymon timeline delay with fulltone fulldrive 3.

play music!

JeffreyAK 06-22-2017 12:27 PM

A chorus pedal (I have a Boss CE5). In fact that's the only pedal I use often anymore, the other is a Fulltone Clyde standard wah. This is with my Strat and Marshall, which gives me quite a large range of tones without pedals. When I used to gig with a loud-but-clean amp, I used a Boss DS1 distortion, a different (inferior) cry-baby wah, and I sometimes used a Boss DD2 digital delay, but all that stuff is sold off now.

perttime 06-22-2017 12:52 PM

Guitar: whatever, as long as pickups have moderate output.
Amp: has reverb, just in case The room sounds dry.

For clean amp: 1) RAT 2, or some other dirt pedal that cleans up with the guitar volume. 2) Dirt pedal and delay.

For amp that does overdrive to my liking: 1) Clean boost pedal. 2) Clean boost pedal and delay.

YamahaGuy 06-22-2017 01:01 PM

Electro-Harmonix Canyon. It has a looper. It is a delay. It has tap tempo. It has a modulation setting to get any chorus you might need. And it has an octaver. Comes with power supply for $139.99. Will be my next pedal.

Yamaha Man 06-22-2017 01:07 PM

LPB-1...into my Marshall DSL 15....just got the LPB-1 yesterday, tried it today and yep that's the one I've been looking for.

redir 06-22-2017 01:18 PM

Or three.... Or four ;)

It's just too much of a loaded question. A lot of it has to do with what amp you are using. For me since my main amp is my Fender Twin which is a 100% pure clean amp then I would go with a good OD pedal. Probably the TS-9 that I already have. But if I was using my Mesa which has a good OD channel on it then I'd probably go with a Wah pedal. It would be hard to go without a good delay too so make that your #2 and that way you have the few sounds that pretty much made rock and roll history since the 1960's... But again this goes back to the loaded question. Do you play rock? Jazz? Country? and so on...

For such a limited question you first need to iron out the details.

The reason why I went with a Twin was so that I could get a butt load of pedals that would give me the full range of the styles I play.

clintj 06-22-2017 03:25 PM

MJM Sixties Vibe for a modulation type effect. That covers both chorus/phaser and vibrato sounds. For a second, probably a Soul Food to get a nice flexible distortion if needed. Depends on the amp and room. If the room size will support it, my tweed Bassman clone will give me all the dirt I need when cranked + gorgeous cleans, so the distortion pedal is out. If the room is smaller, a Super Reverb clone and the distortion pedal.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk