The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Custom (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234424)

alanbakewell 11-27-2011 08:14 AM

Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Custom

Does anyone have any experience / comments / opinions on the Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Custom please.

I have the opportunity to try one of these in the next couple of weeks. So far I've only seen photographs and heard one played on You-Tube.

I'm not a finger picker, I'm a strummer. I like the look of the guitar and would appreciate any comments either way.

Cheers, Alan.

p.s. I'm left handed but I know you won't hold that against me.:D

TJChapin 11-27-2011 08:40 AM

I have played many and all have been excellent guitars. Very clear , loud, lots over rosewood undertones, balanced, somewhat Martinesq with a little Gibson honk. I have a Hummingbird Artist which is oddly named as it is a mahogany version of a Songwriter. After three years of ownerships can say it is the best guitar I have ever owned. Other than initial setup not a problem one. If I was looking for a rosewood dread, would be on my short list.

BT Bob 11-27-2011 09:08 AM

I have the SWD Standard. From what I can tell, the Custom is a "more blingy" version of the Standard.

I love mine, it plays beautifully ( I strum more than anything and it works for me).

It took me a while to find strings I like - I settled on Martin PB, 11s. Mine has had a proper set-up and I recently put some Colosi pins on it.

I really don't think you'll be disappointed - acoustic or amp'd.

Neal 11-27-2011 09:55 AM

I went with my buddy to audition Gibson guitars about 5-6 years ago, and he ended up with the SW Deluxe. He still has it. It's a small dread, I was encouraging him to go with the J-45, but he liked the bling on the thing better ;). Now that he's had it for a number of years, I can't see him playing anything else. It's a real nice guitar.

alanbakewell 11-27-2011 05:05 PM

I appreciate the replies, thank you.

I will certainly take the opportunity to play this guitar. I'm looking for a "Keeper". This may just be the one.

Cheers, Alan.

BT Bob 11-27-2011 05:59 PM

Alan, you could take a look over at the Gibson Forum - there's plenty of SWD owners over there.

Just out of interest, I got mine from Andertons. Brilliant service.

alanbakewell 11-28-2011 02:14 AM

Thanks Bob, I'll have a look.:up:

Cheers, Alan

GibbyPrague 11-28-2011 08:52 AM

I have a songwriter studio ec. it also too me a long time to find the right strings but after much experimentation i found elixir pb lights work best as they are the only strings that can retain their sizzle for a long time, and having the sizzle going is key for this guitar, otherwise it gets too muddy.

now i like this guitar a lot and is my main gigging guitar when we play large venues. the rosewood overtones and deep bass work great across a big pa.

at home i have tuned down half a step as i like the tone a lot in this tuning.

highly recommend it.

Sombras 11-28-2011 09:19 AM

Just this weekend I visited a guitar shop with a Gibson Hummingbird and Songwriter Deluxe Custom hanging next to each other on the wall. I feel like it's always a crapshoot with Gibsons, so I tried them both out of curiosity. the Hummingbird was, unfortunately, a real dud. I picked up the Songwriter with a bad taste in my mouth from the Hummingbird and was totally blown away. That guitar was a sweet sounding beast. Smooth, clear but not overly bright, and loud. It's a good thing I did not have the cash on me or I would have walked out with it. Great guitar.

Triumph1050 11-28-2011 10:48 AM

Not the Custom...but still plenty of bling. Great sounding and playing guitar.

http://www.12fret.com/new/Gibson_Songwriter_Deluxe.jpg

alanbakewell 12-10-2011 11:30 AM

Collected it today, very pleased. :D

I tried the electrics in the shop and was pleased with the variety of sounds available.

However, it's the pure acoustic sound that I wanted first and foremost and that's what I'm hearing now, It sounds even better in my conservatory than it did in the shop.

I'm off to play some more. :D

Cheers, Alan.

GibbyPrague 12-10-2011 11:35 AM

Congratulations Allen, Ill join you and play my Songwriter in your honor now too !

Enjoy !

BT Bob 12-10-2011 02:29 PM

Well done Alan. If you enjoy it half as much as I enjoy mine, you'll be a very happy man.

Out of curiosity, where did you get it (if you don't mind telling)?