The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Taylor vs. Gibson (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22682)

ldubin 05-23-2003 07:56 AM

Taylor vs. Gibson

I am shopping for a new quitar and I have narrowed it down to two: A Taylor 614CE (Natural) and a Gibson J185EC (Natural). Can anyone give me feedback as to why I should go with the Taylor? Thanks.

jclif1995 05-23-2003 08:03 AM

tons of reasons to go with Taylor....cutting edge technology...see the NT neck, the UV finish, the ES electronics. another reason is customer service.....there are some horror stories but they are few and far between...most taylor customers are very satisfied with their purchases.....consistant quality across the line is a great reason....and resell....Taylor's name will only grow and the 600 series seems to be a wanted/desired series....go for it.:)

Roman 05-23-2003 08:09 AM

Wider neck (I think).

drpcr 05-23-2003 08:11 AM

NO comparison, the taylor's sound kills GIBSON. I know I own both and I live in Gibson country. Just try both out and the sound of the taylor will show u the way.

bukwheat 05-23-2003 08:13 AM

no eenie meenie here.....

If that Gibson is "the one " by all means get it..

One thing about the Taylor line up is the consistency. They all sound good and play great. Some of the Taylors will sound different due to wood combos but its "all good".

I have played some great Gibsons and I have played some that just didn't have it. I am partial to Gibsons, have been all my life, and I always give em a try. But it just seems like they are "few and far between" for the sound I am listening for.

Definitely do an A/B comparison of the two and let your ears make the choice.

bukwheat

meridian 05-23-2003 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by drpcr
NO comparison, the taylor's sound kills GIBSON. I know I own both
I own both and really like both for their different feel and tone -- in NO way do my Taylors "kill" my Gibsons.

Pick whatever your ears and hands tell you. Forget what it says on the headstock.

Stringdancer 05-23-2003 08:59 AM

For the sound comparison, try this: When you go shopping, take a guitar playing friend with you. Have your friend sit behind you, and have him (or her, I suppose) play each one. Guitars sound very different when you're not playing them, and when you can actually listen to them from in front of the guitar...

samchar 05-23-2003 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by meridian

I own both and really like both for their different feel and tone -- in NO way do my Taylors "kill" my Gibsons.

Pick whatever your ears and hands tell you. Forget what it says on the headstock.

I've tried both and I agree with a former poster that the former's tone kills the latter. But, that's my ear.

The only way to avoid the headstock corruption, is by (literally) doing a blindfold test. Go back to the store and have someone blindfold you. Stand across the room and listen to the difference. Then, stand right next to or behind whomever is playing the guitars, similar to where you would be if you were playing them yourself. (Don't touch the guitars, because you'll know which is which, even blindfolded.) You should be able to hear a distinctive difference in tone between these two guitars. The question is, which one do you like better. If you like the Taylor tone better, I think it's any easy choice because you also get playability, NT neck, etc. along with the deal. If you like the Gibson tone better, I think the choice is harder because, in my estimation, the only other major upside on the Gibson is physical beauty of craftsmanship.

To me, there was no comparison...particularly when I was playing lightly and casually (like I do around the house). The Taylor tone was more lively and the sound was more responsive to the touch than just about any of the other major brands, but vs. Gibson in particular which I found generally kinda duddy in the tone category. They're awful pretty though. To me, the harder decision was WHICH TAYLOR, not which brand.

Stringdancer 05-23-2003 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by samchar
If you like the Gibson tone better, I think the choice is harder because, in my estimation, the only other major upside on the Gibson is physical beauty of craftsmanship.
I'd say that if he likes the Gibson tone better, then the choice is pretty easy...

bradley dr20 05-23-2003 09:26 AM

Obviously, get what you like and not what we tell you.

I've personally never played a Gibson that grabbed me, so I stopped playing Gibsons all together. If I go to a shop, I don't even look at the Gibsons anymore (and I only look at Martins in the $2k+ range). But it's all personal taste, and they differ greatly.

Taylorplayer 05-23-2003 02:24 PM

Quote:

Taylor vs. Gibson

IMO, there really ins't any "vs." in that conversation at all...

They are two very different guitar companies - with two very different approaches to making instruments.

Taylor's are known to be light & "airy" sounding - very easy to play - and they have consistently even quality.

Gibson's have a much more traditional (heavier) sound and feel. The quality issue with them has improved considerably... but it can still vary quite a bit. :(

Then again, there are vintage Gibson's that sound just amazing!!

So, it's more like an apples & oranges kind of thing... it all depends on what flavor you like! :)

HangFire 05-23-2003 02:50 PM

I played Gibsons, Martins, and Taylors before buying my 710. IMHO Gibsons fell flat to Taylors everytime I A/B'd them. Martins were hit and miss. You should A/B both guitars side by side and follow your ear!:)

leeasam 05-23-2003 03:34 PM

You can find great sounding guitars from any major brand or luthier but in the long run is where the difference comes in. Taylors new neck design WILL lend to low action and great playability for the life of the guitar and if it ever needs a neck reset it takes 5 minutes and new shims where the glue on neck well---- could ruin the instrument . I have seen the dreaded hump at the 14th fret on some high dollar name brand guitars and they were NEW! Gibsons have been to me high in the string action hieght area so harder to play. Gibson uses nitro laquer too and it will crack or yellow eventually where as the taylor finish I believe is much more durable. I`ve seen martins crack too less than a year old. Too me for playabilty and tone and quality you can`t beat a taylor IMO. If you plan on owning it for years too the taylor is your best bet. I know some people say follow your ears but when paying good money for an instrument I want it to play and look and sound good YEARS from now not just new and taylor will deliver that for ya.IMO taylor necks can`t be beat. I used to play electric exclusively and the taylor neck is like playing an electric. I just wish my Les paul had a satin finish neck like my taylor. The 60s neck and my 810 taylor ad very close in feel.
Lee

Jim 05-23-2003 04:36 PM

Like the others have said, ignore us all and just buy the one you like the best. Gibson makes some nice acoustics and some real dogs. Find a good one and it can be the guitar of a lifetime. I'm still kicking myself for not buying a particular Gibson Custom Shop Dove that I played a couple of years ago.

solarbean 05-23-2003 05:05 PM

The other thing to consider is playability. I still have not encontered a guitar that is as easy to play and feels as good on the left fingers as a Taylor.