The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Does a sound sample help you decide on a purchase? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501131)

DrJamie 02-22-2018 08:00 AM

Does a sound sample help you decide on a purchase?

Do you see an advantage in having a recording included in a classified ad? I'll be listing something soon, and I'm making a couple Soundcloud recordings to go in the ad. I have made You Tube demos for electric guitars for sale, but an acoustic needs a better recording than a typical You Tube I think. On the other hand, are there too many variables in the recording process to help someone decide?

Athens 02-22-2018 08:07 AM

Sound sample

Not really.

I agree. There are so many variables in the recording process, and you have to factor in what speakers/headphones you use, so for me, no.

Also, the feel of the guitar is so much a part of it that even if you could capture the sound accurately, it would only be a small part of the overall process.

Seagull S6 02-22-2018 08:23 AM

No. With how many folks buy on line these days, a sound clip couldn't hurt.

s2y 02-22-2018 08:24 AM

A little. I live in an area where there's little variety outside of entry level acoustics and Martins. I need all the help I can get.

llew 02-22-2018 08:30 AM

Yeah...I think it does although it's difficult to tell. I like to believe that the recordings are done with flat EQ and no processing but who knows? It's better than not having a sound sample but it's just so subjective?

Guest 728 02-22-2018 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Athens (Post 5647963)
There are so many variables in the recording process, and you have to factor in what speakers/headphones you use, so for me, no.

Also, the feel of the guitar is so much a prat of it that even if you could capture the sound accurately, it would only be a small part of the overall process.

All this. ^^ Well said!

M19 02-22-2018 08:40 AM

I'll be putting one up for sale myself this week, and I won't have a sound clip...at least to start. Lots of good pix, for sure.

I'm thinking I may offer to do a FaceTime demo if necessary for a buyer on the edge.

hammer40 02-22-2018 08:46 AM

Certainly doesn't hurt. I think the more info you can give a potential buyer the better. I appreciate when somebody posts a few pictures over just one, so If I can actually hear it as well that's a good thing, to me. Granted, there are variables in the recording of it, but again, I would like it.

We are all wary of buying unseen/touched or online, so every little bit can help.

jweave69 02-22-2018 08:49 AM

It definitely helped me decide between the Larrivee D-40 and D-40R. Some YouTube channels are better than others for comparison. This Guitar Gallery video is an excellent example of the differences between Rosewood and Mahogany in the same model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JkyxFw2gvw

ManyMartinMan 02-22-2018 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llew (Post 5647984)
Yeah...I think it does although it's difficult to tell. I like to believe that the recordings are done with flat EQ and no processing but who knows? It's better than not having a sound sample but it's just so subjective?

Absolutely. As a musician it gives me the ability to hear the relationship between the strings. Are there buzzes? How does it sustain? Do the trebles ring like I want? How balanced does it seem? How is the bass? Does it tell you exactly how it will sound with Martin MSP4100 strings? Nope. I don’t need someone to tell me how it’s going to sound in my studio, just the nuances of the items I outlined above. A simple Skype, phone video chat, phone recording all may do the same. So, for me, if you’re a seller, I’ll Ask for some sort of example of how the guitar sounds. If yo accommodate and I like what I hear then we’ll move along with the process and I’ll assume full responsibility from there. If you won’t, I’ll just move along. When I sell, I have that ready for anyone who asks.

DrJamie 02-22-2018 08:51 AM

I'll still put a sample in. Can't hurt, although a terrible player might prejudice a buyer. Why would I want what a bad player bought? And, I'm going to list all the standard reasons for selling, that I can possibly think of. Best guitar ever, this really hurts to sell, thinning the herd, a cannon, but my pinky hurts when I play it, or play HER. Have to refer to it as HER. I hope to buy her back someday, can't justify having such a great guitar, my shoulder hurts, I have flat feet...

BFD 02-22-2018 08:53 AM

If you heard a recording of your wife, mother, son, daughter etc, would you be able to tell it's them? I think plenty of audio information is conveyed in pretty average recordings of guitars.
Most "good" recordings have the mic placed ~12" from the guitar; do you typically put your head 12" from guitars to listen to them? I sure don't.
Although non-professional recordings may not be CD quality, I think an educated listener can glean quite a bit from pretty normal recordings.

The Bard Rocks 02-22-2018 08:54 AM

sound sample

In a word, no. I don't bother to listen (normally) But I may rely upon verbal descriptions. And of course, if I can hear with my own ears, thats best. The very best is to hear in my own home, comparing it to other guitars which I have. (Like that's gonna happen.)

DenverSteve 02-22-2018 08:56 AM

You don’t have to impress them with playing. How do the open strings soun and some chording would be what I would want. Some quiet/soft strumming or finger picking and some more aggressive attack with a pick to give a slight idea on the guitar’s headroom would do for me. Good luck with your sale.

jljohn 02-22-2018 08:59 AM

Yes, a sound sample is helpful. The sound of a great guitar usually comes through, even in a poor recording. Even if it were of marginal value, it's another data point, so why wouldn't I consider it. And if the recording makes the guitar seem thin and tinny, I can pass on it or ask for another, better, recording.

At the end of the day, if the seller wants to sell his guitar, he should try to present it as accurately as possible. That includes an accurate description of it's condition and repair history, good photos, and a decent sound file. I wouldn't buy a guitar from a distance without this as a minimum.