The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Small Bass Combo... (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492302)

Murphy Slaw 12-09-2017 06:52 AM

Small Bass Combo...

I'm considering getting my daughter a small, 50 watt or so, 1;10 or so practice bass rig that will also work for small jams, acoustic type coffeehouse gigs, etc perhaps with a line out if needed.

What's your experience with the light/little rigs from Hartke, Peavey, Eden, GK and such?

J Patrick 12-09-2017 07:10 AM

...deffinitely check out the Ibanez Promethean...well regarded and crazy good value...

Woodstock School Of Music 12-09-2017 07:16 AM

I have a Fender Rumble 100 that I use for that purpose. Great little amp and lightweight. Check out the reviews on the talkbass forums. They have smaller wattage Rumble's too

doublescale1 12-09-2017 08:13 AM

I have a Hartke HB1200 combo amp, it's one of their "Kickback" amps that have a tilt-back built into the cab. It's 120 watts and new it was $350, I saw one on eBay used for $299. Thats a couple of years old model now - they have Hartke 75 watts new for $249. I happen to prefer the Hartke line, but for a beginning student, the Fender Rumble amps are a good place to start too. I use my Hartke with my Roland AC90 acoustic amp, I plug the Hartke into the AC90's subwoofer out, turn it to 3, and the overall sound becomes very big. It's a nice amp for small room gigs or using it with my AC90.

RustyAxe 12-09-2017 10:34 AM

I used an Ampeg BA112 for years in just those kinds of venues. It was the model before the current offerings (can't comment on those). Not too heavy to tote around, great tone, has a line out (but no XLR DI). I sold it a couple years ago for $175. Check the current Ampeg line ... they have a few models that might suit your requirements.

I now use a GK MB200 amp to a Genz-Benz STl-8 cab. My "mini rig of doom" that weighs in at a whopping 13 lbs. Great tone and convenience, but a good deal more expensive. I've used this rig in coffee houses, and a 700 seat theatre (with a DI out to FOH).

The Fender Rumble line seems popular. Check 'em out, too.

ColdEye 12-09-2017 10:48 AM

Definitely the promethean, had it for bass and double bass (loved it with DB). Also the GK bass combos and the fender rumbles are nice light and loud.

The Growler 12-09-2017 11:51 PM

Not sure what your budget is, but I highly recommend the Mark Bass Players School combo amp. 15" speaker, amazing sound and a DI out to run to the house sound system when she's ready.

Murphy Slaw 12-10-2017 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Growler (Post 5563854)
Not sure what your budget is, but I highly recommend the Mark Bass Players School combo amp. 15" speaker, amazing sound and a DI out to run to the house sound system when she's ready.

Man, that's pretty nice, I was thinking about 1/2 of that actually!

kkrell 12-10-2017 07:48 AM

Hartke - great sound in a small box.

DupleMeter 12-10-2017 10:47 AM

I've been consistently surprised by the Fender Rumble. My good friend owns a music store, so I get the chance to demo lots of gear. The little ones sound surprisingly good and are (IMO) extremely reasonably priced.

aknow 12-10-2017 11:10 AM

I have a Fender Rumble 200 w. Sounds good, then I found the
Quilter Bass block 800. About 10X better sound/complexity than the Rumble, which is great for a starter amp. Incidentally, Yamaha basses are great for entry level players

C_Becker 12-10-2017 12:06 PM

Check out the KUSTOM DE50. 50W, 1x10" speaker, balanced line out and ext. speaker out. It has a very nice, fat warm sound. Also has a tube in the preamp, it you need a bit of drive.

Got mine for 220€ and am very happy with it. Plenty loud too.
I also own the 300W head from Kustom, that one is great as well.
Rumour has it that a designer from Ampeg works for Kustom now, but they're still somewhat of a dark horse brand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcbvqTcWCv0

MikeBmusic 12-11-2017 09:10 AM

I picked up a used Rumble 75 at GC for $129. More volume than I'll ever need playing in my 'mostly acoustic' trio where everything else but the bass is plugged into the PA.

Murphy Slaw 12-25-2017 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The dman (Post 5562953)
I have a Fender Rumble 100 that I use for that purpose. Great little amp and lightweight. Check out the reviews on the talkbass forums. They have smaller wattage Rumble's too

Wow.

I bought her the Rumble 40. Back to back with every small combo (40/75 watts) it sounded better than every rig in a large store. AND it has an xlr line out, which the Peavey it was next to did not have.

And it weighs nothing, and has a 5 year warranty.

AcouStickistNS 12-25-2017 08:11 AM

Amp

I have a friend who uses a small Orange amp and I really love the sound coming out of it. Works well with drums and doesn’t drown out acoustic guitars either.

Nowadays I just run my bass through my PA, as I tend to play other instruments outside the house more often. If I were to get a small bass amp, The Orange would be the first one I’d try out. I use to have a Markbass, but if you go that route you should try different ones out. Some have basic controls on them, while others like I had came with some odd tone controls I found a bit difficult to tweak with certain instruments. Another friend of mine has two small Markbass heads that sound great, he uses them for a stereo setup. Were not too expensive either. They have a lot of gear to choose from, look on their website first so you do not miss anything.