The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   wechter guitar,how are they? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79010)

goldfox 04-27-2006 02:32 PM

wechter guitar,how are they?

hi, i just found this new place for me to hang out,and decided to join in, i just sold my jm55 tacoma and have started trying to find the guitar that does it all lol ,anyone know anything about the wechter pathfinder guitars? i think i have the right spelling,,would be intrested in any views on them ,,i never see them at the gc stores ,,,,this is a great site,ive been looking and reading the fourms for the last few days,,thanks ;)

MikeGates 04-27-2006 05:25 PM

Wechters are nice guitars. My friend from church has one, and plays with us in the band. I guessing its the same..I believe I remember him saying pathfinder.....with the double cutaway, acoustic electric, correct? It has 3 pickups, both XLR AND 1/4inch jacks. It sounds good unplugged and sounds good plugged in. I'd give 'em a try tho before you buy it, as you should with every guitar.

goldfox 04-27-2006 08:05 PM

thanks mike, i know what you mean with the es-335,i also have a 500 variax,and that is my fav setting, i was on a ovation kick for a long time ,had about 7 diff ones, i keep lusting after a martin d-16.was just curious about the wechter

MarinerCross 04-27-2006 09:33 PM

The Wechter is a different kind of guitar. From what I understand, there are the guitars that are somewhat mass produced which are OK, and then there are the ones that Abe Wechter builds himself that are much nicer. I believe that was true a few years ago, but I don't know if that is still the case.

The workmanship was very good on the Wechters that I played. I was really impressed. They seemed to be a little bit heavily built for my taste tonewise.

I was in a shop a few years back and just happened to be there with the Wechter sales rep who also happens to be an acquaintence of mine. He was going on and on about how the Wechters were the best thing in the shop. I pulled down a Martin Eric Clapton OOO28, and I started to A-B it with the most expensive Wechter they had. The Martin tone was much more open with better clarity, volume, balance, and overtones. IMHO, it sounded much nicer than the Wechter. Keep in mind that tone is totally subjective, so take my word with a grain of salt. Anyhow, the Wechter rep noticed the tone difference right away, and he started to make excuses for the tone of the Wechter, claiming that the strings were probably old and that the strings on the Martin were obviously brand new (it actually sounded that way). I pointed out the oxidation on the Martin strings and the fact that the Wechter strings appeared to be new. I called the shop repair guy in (he is also a good friend), and he verified that the Wechter strings were new and he apologized for the Martin strings. He then started to change the Martin strings on the spot.

In all fairness, there was a price difference in the two guitars being compared, and I usually feel that you get what you pay for. Also, I was actually more impressed with the materials and workmanship of the Wechter than the Martin, even though I preferred the style and tone of the more expensive Martin. As stated above, tone is subjective, and I'm sure you could find plenty of people who would prefer the Wechter tone. It is also possible that the Wechter I tried may have been a dog, and that not all of them sound like this one (I have played a few Martins that were dogs over the years). Some of it could be attributed to the fingerstyle technique that I use. Who knows? It was interesting (and kind of awkward) that you could tell by his facial expression and body language that the Wechter rep preferred the Martin. He seemed a bit embarrassed. He was very confident that the Wechter was going to blow away the Martin when we first started.

As usual, it is always best to try as many guitars as possible to find out what speaks to you.