The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Seagull Artist Studio and Maritime SWS Rosewood? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168235)

Dr. Overtones 11-08-2009 03:09 PM

Seagull Artist Studio and Maritime SWS Rosewood?

What exactly is the difference between these two guitars? Is it just the grade of wood that's used for each model, or is there something else that sets them apart?

BuckMahoney 11-08-2009 04:07 PM

Not sure of the differences but i thought the sws series mini jumbo was rosewood until a couple weeks ago.Exhausted google until i checked Doug Young's review.The sws mini jumbo is a mahogany b/s.I've checked the seagull website and there are no rosewood models to be seen but the one dread.Nice overtones from the mini jumbo guitar though,i like the shimmer.
Heres a link to the website: http://www.seagullguitars.com/produc...timeseries.htm
EDIT: just checked the website,i think the main difference would be the inlay and tuners.The sws series are geared towards the lower budget guitar players.I am guessing the artist studio series has better quality woods,better tuners,and a more appealing look in general.From what i've heard i would go with the sws with my budget.Looks aint everything,the sound is key:)

Shadowraptor 11-08-2009 08:31 PM

I played a Seagull Artist yesterday at Long & McQuade. If I had enough dough at the time, I would have bought it. Beautiful sound, good looking, easy to play and nice to hold. I bought a ZOOM A2 instead, so at least I can make my lower cost guitars sound like one :)

godinfan 11-08-2009 08:57 PM

I saw they just came out w/ the rosewood sws model. Want to try one out. I honestly wouldn't think there's much difference between it and the artist models (at least not in terms of the specs). I've seen good reviews of the Artist Studio and I think it has some slight differences spec-wise, but I'm trying to fugre how the SWS line isn't going to chip in to their sales of the Artist line. Seems too similar. Another thing is that their original series (S6, etc.) sound great, too. The SWS is not a huge step up imo. I guess not all laminate is created equal. I've noticed that Seagull and Martin in particular make some great sounding guitars with laminate back & sides.

jgillard 11-16-2009 07:33 AM

I just checked out the rosewood model yesterday. It was $150cdn more then the mahogany version and satin finished. It also sported gold tuners. I did not think it sounded any better then the mahogany, but did look and play nice. Whether it is worth the extra $$ over the mahogany would be up to the individual.

edit: I just tried out a rosewood SWS again. It has a richer sound than the mahogany which is to be expected. It really is a nice guitar and a great deal.

CodyJames 12-30-2009 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgillard (Post 2022808)
I just checked out the rosewood model yesterday. It was $150cdn more then the mahogany version and satin finished. It also sported gold tuners. I did not think it sounded any better then the mahogany, but did look and play nice. Whether it is worth the extra $$ over the mahogany would be up to the individual.

jgillard, you just solved the mystery that's been haunting me for weeks! I have not been able to compare the two models (rosewood and mahogany versions) side-by-side because none of my local shops carry both of them. If there is no super-noticeable difference in the tone, then to me the choice is obvious, the one with the smaller price tag! My next paycheck is getting me a Seagull Maritime SWS Semi-Gloss Dreadnaught acoustic guitar!

jgillard 12-31-2009 06:59 AM

Funny little story to go along with this. When I was picking up my guitar there were other guitarists in the store trying out the seagull SWS models (both rosewood and mahogany). They were all quite shocked at how good they were and how low the price tag was. They were the best sub $1500 guitars in the shop by all accounts.

I picked the HG over the SG, but the SG is $100 cheaper and sounds more "open" when new. It takes a bit longer for the HG to get "there".

These SWS models will chip into their artist lines for sure, and why they will probably come out with some new artist models that are even better then the current ones.

Sammy_L_D 12-31-2009 09:56 AM

Based on my experience with having sold many Seagull guitars, the SWS series feel heavier built, and generally a lower grade of wood from a visual standpoint. Cosmetics would follow next I reckon, and of course the inclusion of a nice case with the Artist.

Overall, the Artists are "nicer"...but the SWS models are pretty incredible.

jgillard 12-31-2009 10:00 AM

Quote:

Based on my experience with having sold many Seagull guitars, the SWS series feel heavier built, and generally a lower grade of wood from a visual standpoint. Cosmetics would follow next I reckon, and of course the inclusion of a nice case with the Artist.

Overall, the Artists are "nicer"...but the SWS models are pretty incredible.
That about sums it up perfectly!

joeybagadonutz 12-13-2010 03:50 PM

Acoustic Amps

double post, sorry