The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   PLAY and Write (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Online Acoustic Blues Lessons - Beyond Beginner? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275861)

mdutr0 12-13-2012 09:33 AM

Online Acoustic Blues Lessons - Beyond Beginner?

I have certainly learned a lot from some of the great online lessons when it comes to acoustic blues and I am very grateful to the gracious people who took the time to make and post those videos on sites like Youtube.

But it seems like the vast majority are at the beginner level. Many of the lessons assume you have never played the blues before. And while that level of instruction is certainly a valuable service, I find myself looking for.... more.

At this point I have been playing the acoustic guitar for 18 years. I know the basic blues progressions, I know what a turnaround is, and I am well on my way to proficiencey when it comes to independent thumb and finger movement on my right hand. I know the blues scales well, and their extentions. I am still working on speed, but fluidity is pretty good. I improvise fairly well for someone who usually plays by himself. I no longer rely on tab and do most of my learning through listening and watching.

I'm no master by any means! But I play/practice a lot and I'm half-way decent (I hope).

So what's the next step? Where do I go to learn more? Does anyone know of good resources for intermediate/advanced acoustic blues students?

Free is always good, but I am willing and able to pay for lessons for the right program.

Greg580 12-13-2012 12:20 PM

have you looked at truefire.com? if you sign up its free for 30 days, plenty of time to decide if you want to pay for a lesson program or membership. Plenty of blues options there.

revtintin 12-13-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg580 (Post 3276373)
have you looked at truefire.com? if you sign up its free for 30 days, plenty of time to decide if you want to pay for a lesson program or membership. Plenty of blues options there.

what he said. :)

on there, David Hamburger has a few courses that's really worth a look.

BluesBelly 12-13-2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg580 (Post 3276373)

Agree......Truefire.com, Also agree with David Hamburger learning selections.
Stefan Grossmans Guitar Workshop series offers oodles of learning aides at
www.guitarvideos.com.
And there is the "Blues You Can Use" book C/D series which I particularly like
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...keywords=blues you can use

Blues

mdutr0 12-13-2012 01:02 PM

Thanks guys that looks pretty cool.

I especially like the whole "learning path" concept where they have designed an entire course of lessons from beginner on up in particular styles.

Assuming I were to subscribe to this service, what subscription level would ya'll recommend?

BluesBelly 12-13-2012 01:14 PM

Instead of subscribing I personally prefer Getting the lesson on CD. Then it is a one time investment that you can take with you for reference throughout your life with no on going subscription fee.
I have a box full of instructional CD's I have ordered over the years and it's nice to be able to go back and dig one out and review a lesson. I also have lesson CD's on different styles of blues so I can switch around at will.

Blues

mdutr0 12-13-2012 01:43 PM

I generally prefer video lessons to audio. I suppose those could be purchased individually?

Edit: from Truefire I mean...

BluesBelly 12-13-2012 01:48 PM

I think you can purchase either way. At any rate they have always treated me right.

Blues

Blueser100 12-16-2012 09:00 AM

There is a lot of material available for intermediate and advanced acoustic blues. In addition to Stefan Grossman's videos, CD's, and books (check out his digital downloads), there is Homespun. Lots of good stuff there too.

Piker99 12-16-2012 10:48 AM

Check out Truefires David Hamburger Fingerstyle blues handbook 2, he gets into alternate thumb ,travis style, good stuff. Also check out Toby Walker, his E pack or A pack offer up some good stuff as well. I learned lots from both these guys. Instant downloads available for these also.
Bob

Klef 12-20-2012 10:59 PM

DVDs are awesome. But VHS tapes were awesome once too and now mine don't have a machine anymore. Guess we have to keep moving.

joe paul 12-21-2012 05:34 PM

If you want to study a certain blues artist, like Mississippi John Hurt, Furry Lewis, Bo Carter, Robert Wilkins, Reverend Gary Davis, Blind Blake, Blind Boy Fuller or Blind Lemon Jefferson, then there are three great teachers on DVD at Stefan Grossman's Guitar Workshop : John Miller, Ernie Hawkins and Ari Eisinger. They all go in depth and take you a long way into the intricacies of each style. At Truefire, Paul Rishell's Dirt Road Blues is also very, very good. Woody Mann's lessons are good too if you like his interpretations - there's a lot to learn from him.

srick 12-21-2012 06:04 PM

On homespun.com, I highly recommend Toby Walker's course "Blues Fingerpicking Freedom" David Hamburger's courses are excellent and I have been a Truefire member for several years.

One of the things I like about the Truefire membership is that I can play around with different styles and try out different teachers without buying a ton of DVDs

Rick