The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Cocobolo Vs. Madagascar Rosewood (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253206)

mrkpower 05-28-2012 09:52 PM

Cocobolo Vs. Madagascar Rosewood

As tone woods used for the back and sides of guitars, which one do you favor the most? and Why??

Matt Mustapick 05-28-2012 10:49 PM

Both nice woods. The only basis I could come up with for a preference would be related to preservation concerns. I don't know much about it but I've heard there is some concern about Madagascar rosewood.

Thomas Rein 05-29-2012 06:47 AM

Mad Rose might be beautiful wood but it comes with a very steep price, and I don't mean monetarily. Personally, I won't use it. I don't think any wooden object, whether Chinese furniture or high-end guitars, is justified based on the dire situation in the forests of Madagascar.
http://newswatch.nationalgeographic....ogging_crisis/

rmyAddison 05-29-2012 06:48 AM

I love Madagascar, had three and they all in my opinion were better than their comparable Martin EIR brothers, love the low end clarity.

Martin has some custom shop Cocobolos this year, got to play them all, with that little exposure, admittedly not enough, those particular guitars did not make me want to buy them. Pretty wood, but I'll take Madagascar.

mrkpower 05-29-2012 09:23 PM

As a tonewood, Madgasacan Rosewood has been championed as a substitute to Brazilian Rosewood although it’s rarity and over-exploitation may push it towards a similar fate to Rio.

TimberlineGuy 05-29-2012 09:35 PM

i've played Coco guitars and i've played MadRose guitars. I like MadRose. I don't like Coco.

both pretty, though!

mjz 05-30-2012 04:29 AM

I favor cocobolo because no matter from which builder you buy a madrose guitar, there is a better chance than not the wood was harvested illegally -- or at the very least, harvested at a time when a bribe opened up the export process just long enough for a poacher to profit while Malagassy and the rest of us lose.

I don't care if it sounds better on a guitar -- which it does to me -- I like madagasscar rosewood better in a tree.

Tony Burns 05-30-2012 09:24 AM

depends on the guitar and who built it . Madagasscar is not the same as Brazilian - it doesnt have the same attack ( at least of the ones ive played ) cocobolo is different -has a bite i like ( some luthiers hate it becasue of its dusts toxicity - some get allergic reactions ). guess it depends on the particular piece of wood and who built it . Their is great Madagasscar and so-so Madi . guess it up to the person and what they think is better .Id play a few guitars of a builder before i decided.

dylanheeg 05-30-2012 09:29 AM

Tonally, I can't tell the difference....although, it woudl be rare to get an accurate comparison, ie, same builder, same top wood, same body size, etc. I have played many a coco and madi guitar and they both sound very similar to me.

I would just pick the one I thought looked better; in my case, Cocobolo would be the choice.

min7b5 05-30-2012 11:27 AM

I'm a big fan of Coco. I like it more than Brazilian for my preferences, usually a lot more. I can say anecdotally I've not cared for the few Madagascar guitars I've played. It doesn't have the same reverby thing and overtones that I personally like in a rosewood... And of course the exploitation issue would be a deal breaker for me anyway.

mrkpower 05-30-2012 04:12 PM

Cocobolo back and sides characteristically have an abundance of low overtones resulting in a complex bottom end and strong upper register. The overall effect is also a bell like tone with clear, slow decaying harmonics.

mrkpower 06-01-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimberlineGuy (Post 3057112)
i've played Coco guitars and i've played MadRose guitars. I like MadRose. I don't like Coco.

both pretty, though!

Why don't like Cocobolo?

gary0319 06-01-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimberlineGuy (Post 3057112)

both pretty, though!

+1......My experience as well.

Wade Hampton 06-01-2012 05:14 PM

Honestly, I haven't had enough opportunities to play both to form firm opinions about either, much less one versus the other. So lacking that experience, I didn't vote.

I have played several examples of each, but have never gigged with either.

I do share the same concerns about the rapid deforestation of Madagascar that several other posters have mentioned.

whm

raregroove 06-02-2012 03:54 PM

Cocobolo +1