The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   First Guitar (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296960)

desertdave 05-27-2013 12:26 AM

First Guitar

Hey folkes,
I am looking into getting a special needs guy his fist guitar that he can call his own. He is currently playing a loaner that is tiny and sounds awfull..His caretakers ( my friends) say every evening when they get home he imediatly goes to his room and plays for hours. He is catching on, albeit slowly, but he is managing to get 3-4 chords without looking...I was thinking Yamaha FG700s..Or in that price range...Ya'll now what that range is. Gonna get a hard case and a little metal tag with his name on it and everything...He will feel just like one of the boys when he comes over..Suggestions?...Sadley, I will not get to "test drive" it first because of my current location. I will have it shipped home, then present it to him when on R&R in July...Thanks for all input..Dave

TokyoNeko 05-27-2013 12:32 AM

I recently picked out a FS700S for a friend of mine. He preferred a smaller size than a dread, and he's practicing diligently as far as I can tell. It's hard to go wrong with a Yamaha for starters at $200, although if you can spare about an extra $100, I would recommend a Godin model (S&P Songsmith, A&L, etc.)

chitz 05-27-2013 05:42 AM

I think your on the right path with that FG-700S. (or an FS)

Someone told me they were on sale this holiday weekend for $149, but I haven't seen it myself.

Used, would be even better.

Blueser100 05-27-2013 06:23 AM

First Guitar

That is a nice gesture on your part. Agree on the Yamaha. I have owned an FG700S and if he comfortable with the dread body style, I would highly recommend it. I'd check the stores today for a 10-20% coupon offer or call and see if they will deal. Kraft Music has bundle deals which includes case, strap, strand, etc.

MICHAEL MYERS 05-27-2013 07:34 AM

As long as he's not playing it with his fist;)I think a Yamaha would be a great choice.

billder99 05-27-2013 08:43 AM

That is a very compassionate idea... also get a Snark tuner for the person. You can get a nice quality Yamaha with a hard shell case & shipping for under $200, and it is highly likely you will get a good instrument that has decent intonation and stays in tune... Yamaha doesn't make dogs. Here are a couple... there are tons on the Bay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-FG-70...item5656562519

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Yama...item4ac50440b9

Steve DeRosa 05-27-2013 08:56 AM

How about a Godin product - A&L, Seagull Entourage maybe; IMO less gingerbread/gloss gut far more guitar than most in their price range. BTW, that tuner's a great idea...

desertdave 05-27-2013 09:14 AM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-FG700...item53f8b3cdc3

This one looks to be the winner..Price is right..Case and all...

"Robbie" is a 27 yr old man living with an 11 yo brain. Good dude, has a hard time trying to "fit in." Since my bro in-law let him use this old beater his confidence and demenor have improve greatly..I think this will only boost him to the next level when he hears how nice what he is playing can really sound like. He already thinks "his" guitar sounds awesome...I cannot wait to see his face when he hears himself playing the new one.

I will setup a mic to a sound board and put it in digital format, tweak a little in garage band and viola, instant stardom... I will search for a few more hrs over here and pull the trigger..Thanks for all the suggestions. Great call on the tuner also...

gjd100 05-27-2013 09:27 AM

Dave, stay safe.....I purchased this bundle from Kraft...no regrets....

http://www.kraftmusic.com/yamaha-fg7...ls-bundle.html

Kukri 05-27-2013 09:49 AM

I just picked up a Yamaha FG730s from Musicians Friend used for $215. I couldn't believe the condition it came in. It was practically new, i even had to peal the film off the pick guard. They listed it as a condition 2 but from what i can see it is perfect. They still have a condition 2 on there, it is $240 and then you get a 10% off all used guitars for the memorial day sale. They have a condition 1 now for more money but considering the condition mine was i would save a few bucks and go with the cheaper. Make sure you use the code: USEDMEM2013. Hard cases on sale too, $40

Highly recommend. I haven't been able to put it down since it showed up on Friday. My first guitar by the way. My opinion isn't worth much at this point but i got it based on all the other rave reviews on this forum.

Glennwillow 05-27-2013 09:53 AM

Dave,

This is a wonderful gesture on your part. I think the Yamaha is a great choice!

Stay safe over there...

- Glenn

The Growler 05-27-2013 10:02 AM

Great idea! The FG700s is a great choice. I've bought a couple for at risk kids for 170 - 175 (GC and Sam Ash will take the coupons on them), and they really are good. Very impressive for the price.

Jim Owen 05-27-2013 10:18 AM

Dave,
Your idea is wonderful, and I think you've chosen the right guitar, too. I love the idea of the metal name plaque: that's a classy move on your part. (I have to admit to feeling touched when an old friend had a tiny name plate made for my guitar case.)

Music therapy is a really fine way for folks with significant learning impairments to express themselves. And the guitar is well suited for this use: a few chords, a simple strum, and music happens.

fitness1 05-27-2013 10:24 AM

Wow....that's great stuff. Maybe you could post where Robbie is and a knowledgeable forum member (if local) could offer to do some setup tweaking on it to get it to play it's best?

Tony Burns 05-27-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertdave (Post 3485579)
Hey folkes,
I am looking into getting a special needs guy his fist guitar that he can call his own. He is currently playing a loaner that is tiny and sounds awfull..His caretakers ( my friends) say every evening when they get home he imediatly goes to his room and plays for hours. He is catching on, albeit slowly, but he is managing to get 3-4 chords without looking...I was thinking Yamaha FG700s..Or in that price range...Ya'll now what that range is. Gonna get a hard case and a little metal tag with his name on it and everything...He will feel just like one of the boys when he comes over..Suggestions?...Sadley, I will not get to "test drive" it first because of my current location. I will have it shipped home, then present it to him when on R&R in July...Thanks for all input..Dave

Dave, I think you picked a winner -Yamaha's make a great product for the money -very durable -and that one has a hardshell case and stand -that seems very reasonable - you might want to give him a set of strings and some picks as well with that guitar- your a nice guy !