The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electric Guitars (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   What Marshall should i pick ?? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349335)

ghostnanasaki 07-16-2014 05:17 AM

What Marshall should i pick ??

Ok am new to this stuff but i want some advise about amp of Marshall ^^ . My budget will be around 200-400$ . i find and see this on the sweetwater website http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MG50CFX/ is this amp good ? This is the first time i buy an amp for my electric guitar the SG epiphone G-310 :D:D

MikeBmusic 07-16-2014 07:05 AM

This section of the forum is really about amplifying acoustic guitars, but to answer your question: MAYBE. It's a solid state amp (meaning no tubes). Some electric guitar players will tell you nothing can match the sound froma valve (tube) amp.
It really depends on the sound(s) you want to get from the amp. I suggest you bring your guitar to a local store and plug into a few amps in your price range and see what sounds good to you.

Steve DeRosa 07-16-2014 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeBmusic (Post 4042014)
...I suggest you bring your guitar to a local store and plug into a few amps in your price range and see what sounds good to you.

Good advice...

moon 07-16-2014 09:53 AM

The electronic bits - pickups, amp, speaker/cab - are basically what defines the sound so this is important to get right.

If you're looking for a Marshall kind of sound, check out the Blackstar HT5R. It's a little bit over budget new - keep an eye on the second-hand market.

A lot of people like the Fender Mustang series but personally I'm not a fan of modelling amps.

The Fender Super Champ X2 is part tube amp. I tried one once and thought the clean sounds weren't bad.

Sweetwater stock a couple of Bugera tube amps in your budget, the V5 and V22.

terrapin 07-16-2014 10:02 AM

I would be very careful buying one of the newer and cheaper Marshall's. From my experience many of them do not have the sound we associate with classic Marshall. The couple I have experienced (don't recall models) were extremely dissapointing. Harsh, shrill and fatiguing to listen to for very long. Pretty bad reliability too! Something about a Solid State Marshall just seems WRONG!!!

perttime 07-16-2014 10:48 AM

For currently available solidstate amps, people speak highly of the non-modeling Peaveys, like the Envoy: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Envoy110/.

Its 40W power should be enough for home, band practice, and moderately sized gigs. Solidstate amps are not as dependent on power levels, for tone, as tube amps. A 40W solidstate amp should be easy enough to dial down to bedroom levels, and still sound OK.

guitararmy 07-16-2014 11:45 AM

My local guitar hero has a Blackstar ID series amp and loves it. It's been described as the next evolution in solid state modeling amps.

They also make a smaller amp series called ID Core which got a nice review in the latest Guitar Player magazine.

Athana 07-16-2014 03:38 PM

You could get a good Marshall for $400...in 1978. : (

batsbrew 07-16-2014 03:44 PM

in that price range, you are not really buying into the marshall 'deal' anyway, so maybe the Blackstar is a good choice...
a lower wattage model

also consider the low watt versions of the huges and kettner tubemeister series....

maybe a used Orange tiny terror?

Dru Edwards 07-16-2014 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terrapin (Post 4042320)
I would be very careful buying one of the newer and cheaper Marshall's. From my experience many of them do not have the sound we associate with classic Marshall. The couple I have experienced (don't recall models) were extremely dissapointing. Harsh, shrill and fatiguing to listen to for very long. Pretty bad reliability too! Something about a Solid State Marshall just seems WRONG!!!

I'm with Russ. The new MG series is better than older versions but there are so many other better amps in that price range. I'm a huge Marshall fan but I'm not a fan of the entry line.

The Fender Mustang III will get you some nice tones.

Steve DeRosa 07-17-2014 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moon (Post 4042299)
...Sweetwater stocks a couple of Bugera tube amps in your budget, the V5 and V22.

I own a V22 - best choice in town if you need tube tone on a budget, or want a good starting point for future modifications: simple layout (which I'd recommend at this point over a modeling rig - learn how to build a good basic tone first), relatively compact, solid (and heavy for its size) construction, with plenty of volume for small/medium venues (which can be powered down for home practice) - and unlike modeling amps it won't become obsolete as soon as version 2.1 comes out. Install some top-quality tubes and a more efficient speaker (about $150-175 total), and you may never need another amp...

ghostnanasaki 07-17-2014 07:06 AM

Hum Thanks Fender amp look nice to me but what is the deal of Solid State vs tube amp ??? :D

guitararmy 07-17-2014 07:26 AM

As a bedroom shredder who rarely performs live, a solid state amp is nice because it distorts at low volume.
I have tube amps but am reluctant to fire them up for 10 minutes of doodling at low volume because of the wear and tear on the tubes. I'd love to crank them up in a live setting though!

perttime 07-17-2014 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostnanasaki (Post 4043561)
what is the deal of Solid State vs tube amp ??? :D

Technical stuff. I'd make a three way split: tube amps, analog transistor amps, and modeling amps.

- Tube amps use stuff that was in wide spread use back when transistors were not invented.
- Analog solidstate amps use transistors (not tubes)
- Modeling amps try to emulate other (mainly tube) amps, using computer software.

Each has proponents, each has strengths, and each has drawbacks. I'm sure someone will soon explain all the advantages of tube amps.

moon 07-17-2014 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostnanasaki (Post 4043561)
Hum Thanks Fender amp look nice to me but what is the deal of Solid State vs tube amp ??? :D

There are a few good solid state guitar amps but mostly it's all tube.

Modelling amps use digital signal processing to emulate real amps. You can even get iPhone apps which do the same thing. You'll notice that modelling amps quickly disappear from the catalogues as you move up in price. Tube is the sound they're trying to imitate and so they can only survive at price points below those of traditional tube amps.

There could be a place for a modelling amp if all you want is something quiet to practice on - such as the Yamaha THR10. Are you planning to play in a band?

With a really tight budget, you could consider building your own tube amp. However you'll be dealing with high voltage circuits so you must be 100% confident about your ability to work patiently and meticulously.