The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Very First guitar -- Seagull S6 vs. Yamaha FG730S -- HELP! (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=351186)

Evader53 07-30-2014 07:21 AM

Very First guitar -- Seagull S6 vs. Yamaha FG730S -- HELP!

First post here, and from all my reading I can tell this site will be extremely useful in the near future, so thanks in advance!

I'm looking at purchasing my very first guitar to learn on (I have never played!). My budget is in the $300-$400 range and based on all my searching the past few weeks, it seems that two solid guitars in that range and the most often recommended are;

1.) Seagull S6 original
2.) Yamaha FG730S

I've read in depth about both and while I get bits and pieces of opinions, and even have watched the youtube video comparing the two, and I'm still trying to choose which one is more 'right' for me. I understand about the wider spacing of the S6 which seems to be a big deal for a lot of people... I've got average sized hands, so I'm not sure whether this would be an issue since it seems like most people adapt to whatever.

I'd like to use the guitar to play mostly country style songs just here at my home. I would guess that strumming would be the largest part of my playing.

And since most people will probably say 'go to a guitar store and try both' -- I would love to, but unfortunately the nearest town with a guitar shop is over two hours away.

So, I'm looking for some opinions on which you would recommend... Is one constructed better than the other? Does one have higher quality components? Is one better than the other for a brand new beginner?

Any opinions/advice is more than welcome!

Thanks!

leatherguy 07-30-2014 07:28 AM

While I've never handled or played a Seagull, I can tell you that you would not be making a mistake if you went with the Yamaha.
Built very well, sound and play great...and the 730 is darn pretty too.;)

Rosewood99 07-30-2014 07:31 AM

Both are good choices but keep in mind that the Seagull's nut width is 1.8 inches and the Yamaha's is 1 11/16. I have owned both and preferred the wider nut width but it depends on your preference. But both are great guitars for the money.

Kitchen Guitars 07-30-2014 07:35 AM

A bazillion people can't be wrong. I vote for the Yamaha! You might want to plan for the future and get the FGX730s. That one plugs in. Yamaha pick ups are fantastic

mymartind35 07-30-2014 07:38 AM

Both are great instruments. The Yamaha has a solid spruce top and the S6 has a solid cedar top. The S6 is loud and is balanced in sound. The Yamaha is a well rounded guitar, that's as tough as nails. The cedar top will scratch much easier than the Spruce Yamaha, but all things considered, I like the Seagull. It costs a hundred-twenty more and I think you just get a better guitar with it. My opinion. I love cedar for fingerpicking, but you're a strummer, so Yamaha it is.

guitararmy 07-30-2014 07:41 AM

I've owned both. I prefer the neck on the Yamaha--the Seagull neck feels wider near the nut, while the Yammy has a rounder and less flat neck profile.

Can't compare the sound since I didn't own both at the same time...

roylor4 07-30-2014 07:44 AM

They won't sound the same but both are very well built at their price.

The S6 has a Cedar top. Cedar is known for it's warmth and responsiveness, not as bright a sound as a spruce top on the Yamaha. I have average sized hands too (I'm just under 5'6") but I also prefer the wider nut width of the Seagull. There is more room to properly form chords without accidentally pushing or muting adjacent strings. I find the extra with makes them easier, not harder for a beginner to learn on.

The Yamaha has a Spruce top and will have a slightly brighter tone. 1 & 11/16ths nut width make these feel cramped to me on my fretting hand.

Cedar tops take a little less power to create sound but are also softer and more prone to scratches, dings and such.

I honestly don't think you could go wrong with either but if it were my money I would go with the Seagull if for no other reason than the nut width.

laughingskunk 07-30-2014 07:52 AM

Im not familiar with the Yamaha..... But the Seagull is a very good guitar and not just for the money. Its a guitar to me that can grow ith you as you learn. The wider spacing may not be a concern because you are learning on it. I like it because not so cramped.

wrbriggs 07-30-2014 07:55 AM

They are both fantastic guitars. For your intended purpose (country-style songs), the 730S may sonically be a better choice, as the cedar top on the Seagull S6 is quieter and a little "mellower", if that makes any sense.

I have owned a Yamaha FG700S and a Seagull Entourage Rustic S6 (narrower neck profile, burst top), and after playing both of them for a year, I found I preferred the Yamaha. The best thing you can do is take a friend who knows how to play, and get him or her to play both guitars for you. Then spend some time holding each of them, even if you don't know how to play yet, and decide which one is most comfortable.

In this price range, you can't go wrong with either of them, and they actually tend to have decent resale value because they are known as excellent entry-level guitars. Make sure you are setting aside enough money in your budget to get some accessories (case, picks, instructional materials, tuner, extra strings, etc). If you can play them side-by-side, I would also suggest adding the Yamaha FG700S to the mix.

FloridaGull 07-30-2014 08:04 AM

Keep in mind that the Seagull S6 comes in a "Slim" version as well - with a 1.72" nut width - the regular S6 has the 1.8" nut.

My vote would definitely be for the Seagull - but, if you are looking for another option, check out Walden Guitars - www.waldenguitars.com - and, a great online Walden dealer - Dave Word at www.holeinthewood.com - look at the 500, 600, 700 series.

Enjoy the hunt! :)

Mr Fixit eh 07-30-2014 08:25 AM

A big welcome to the AGF!

Both of these are good quality guitars, and you won't be disappointed. The Seagull S6 is also available in a spruce top. Another thing to consider is the warranty - the Seagull has a lifetime warranty to the original owner, and they stand by it and provide fast turnaround time. I don't know what the Yamaha warranty offers.

With both guitars you will probably need to have a setup done by a good tech. The action is a bit high on some of these guitars, and a well set up guitar is a joy to play compared to one with high action.

Can you rent a guitar from a local school or music store, or maybe borrow one from a friend? If you've never played a guitar, it would be good to try one out for a month or two. Statistics show that 50% of new guitar players quit within the first year. 50% of those give up in the second year. I don't mean to discourage you, but you might want to get a feel for whether you have the motivation to stick-with-it. Another advantage is that you'll begin to get a feel for the type of music you're drawn to and the kind of tone you like. This will mean that when you do finally buy, you'll have a better idea what you want in a guitar.

And 2 hours to the guitar store! That's nuthin' - get yourself to the store. Yes, you can buy a guitar sight unseen, but there's nothing better than trying out some guitars and falling in love with the sound of one special guitar.

Good luck with your guitar journey, and make sure you hang around and make lots of posts at the AGF along the way!

STeve

PS - I'd recommend getting a guitar with electrics built in. Playing in public is the farthest thing from your mind today, but guaranteed you will want to be able to amplify your guitar within a few short years. Trust me - I've been there, done that, bought the t-shirt :-)

Azaro Ariņo 07-30-2014 08:31 AM

Owned both, still own the Yamaha.

The Seagull was a great guitar, though.

Kip Carter 07-30-2014 08:43 AM

I think you've narrowed it to a point you can't make a bad buy. What you should do is play both and make your call based on how it feels and how it sounds.

You say this is your first guitar but even if you don't know how to play yet and E or A chord should give you something to listen to and help you decide as well as a feel of the neck and the comfort level forming a chord pattern.

Personally I like the Yamaha's better but as many has said here, you've got two good guitars to pick from a starter. Enjoy!

kcnbys 07-30-2014 08:44 AM

Welcome to the forum! Both are good choices, so after playing, holding, and getting the feel for both - go with your gut!

Guest 429 07-30-2014 08:46 AM

The Yamaha...