The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   The world's worst acoustic? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76237)

delray 03-06-2006 07:37 AM

The world's worst acoustic?

So, I have a candidate. I was at my sister in law's on Saturday and saw a Fender Squire Acoustic beginner guitar package sitting in the corner of her living room next to the piano. I got a little excited and asked who was taking up guitar? She had bought it for Christmas and no one had even taken it out of the packaging yet.

I opened it up to tune it and though I had entered the twighlight zone. The B string when tuned open, would be completely off playing a chord, went back and forth then realized the nut was split and the string was way down in the neck.

The action was so hight that it was not buzzing and guitar was an absolute mess! The finish was a paint or epoxy that was very dimpled, made the back of the neck look like it was clay. The top looked like a poplar board with no grain, but it was a laminate anyway. The frets were dangerously sharp hanging off the bottom of the neck. The low E tuner was coming out of the headstock and of course the split nut I mentioned and the action was painfully high.

I am just wondering how excited a prospective player could be trying to figure out such a mess? Shame on Fender putting out such a crappy package!

John Coste 03-06-2006 08:27 AM

Like lots of cheap Asian imports, the quality is really hit-or-miss. I actually picked up one of those Squire Acoustic packs for my 14 year old son the learn on. It's NOT a great guitar, or even a particularly good one, but it's not a total lemon, either. It is what it is...a cheap student model guitar.

Guyute 03-06-2006 10:28 AM

Please.

Esteban. Hands down!

delray 03-06-2006 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guyute
Please.

Esteban. Hands down!

I saw a thread over on guitar notes that seemed to indicate Esteban guitars are actually getting better! :D I think it is how the the whole thing is sold which makes the mysterous Esteban and his product irresistable. I don't know how they could be worse than this Squire. I guess someone has a acceptable one.

I am thinking you can get a solid top guitar around $100 used, blemish or whatever. How sad to start your exploration into playing with this huge hurdle!

Guyute 03-06-2006 10:58 AM

I forgot. My nephew bought a "First Act" acoustic at Target for $[cheap]. That was undoubtedly the worst thing I've ever seen that could be classified as a "guitar".

muzz76 03-06-2006 11:06 AM

Quote:

I forgot. My nephew bought a "First Act" acoustic at Target for $[cheap]. That was undoubtedly the worst thing I've ever seen that could be classified as a "guitar".

Yep....department store stuff is where i'd classify worst. $[cheap] gets ya about a penny worth of plastic.

tlgvintage 03-06-2006 11:49 AM

Applause by Ovation.

Enough said.

Gunny 03-06-2006 01:09 PM

There are plenty of junkers for sure, but I've played some decent Jasmines, Fenders & other cheapos. The problems is it's probably more the exception than the rule. I bought my Daughter's each a First Act acoustic from Sam's Club one year and they have my vote also. Wouldn't tune up, sounded like a pillow was stuffed in the soundhole and was honestly unplayable. I can't imagine a worse guitar that isn't a plastic toy.

phil_harmonic 03-06-2006 04:24 PM

I was in Best Buy the other day hunting for something and came across some cheapo acoustic and electric guitars. Wow! I would never even have thought about BBY when looking for a guitar...and I still won't :ha:

theguitarman 03-06-2006 05:51 PM

I agree with the Target Music instruments. have you seen the music section at Target? What a Joke? I can't even believe they call them musical intruments. Even Esteban would be laughing at the Targer music section

bobbyg67 03-06-2006 06:51 PM

i was in target the other day and walked past their "guitar" section. they had them all enshrined in this protective, hard, see through plastic like they were displaying a pre-war martin. i realize they do it to protect the merchandise, but i always pick one up if i can just to see what it is, but no longer. kind of ironic. i wonder if you asked,if a sales rep would take one out so you could try it. maybe they have an acoustic room in the back.

DVGuy 03-06-2006 08:49 PM

Quote:

I forgot. My nephew bought a "First Act" acoustic at Target for $[cheap]. . That was undoubtedly the worst thing I've ever seen that could be classified as a "guitar".

I can second that. Yuk!

mapple 03-06-2006 09:28 PM

The 'X' series Martins.

anthonyc007 03-06-2006 09:30 PM

MARTIN!

:roll: j/k :roll:

tlgvintage 03-06-2006 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theguitarman
I agree with the Target Music instruments. have you seen the music section at Target? What a Joke? I can't even believe they call them musical intruments. Even Esteban would be laughing at the Targer music section

What's worse is that it's all from the Gibson family of brands. They plaster crap like "Made to the same exacting standards as Gibson" and expect people to buy it. They also sell those crappy effects pedals.