The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Build and Repair (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Buzz on 12th fret (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496082)

rals75 01-11-2018 08:30 PM

Buzz on 12th fret

This may have been addressed in previous thread but was unable to find it in a search. I have an acoustic guitar hand made by a local luthier here in Eastern Virginia. Solid Rock Guitars. It is a dreadnought replica similar to Neil Young's Hank Williams Sr. guitar. Beautiful guitar and plays great!!
The issue i'm having is the high E frets out on the 12th fret, especially when doing a bend. It just started a couple of days ago and was wondering if there is anything I can do to fix the problem?
The guitar is kept in its case when not being played.

Thanks again for any advice.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Strat
Solid Rock Guitar Dreadnought

LouieAtienza 01-11-2018 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rals75 (Post 5599676)
This may have been addressed in previous thread but was unable to find it in a search. I have an acoustic guitar hand made by a local luthier here in Eastern Virginia. Solid Rock Guitars. It is a dreadnought replica similar to Neil Young's Hank Williams Sr. guitar. Beautiful guitar and plays great!!
The issue i'm having is the high E frets out on the 12th fret, especially when doing a bend. It just started a couple of days ago and was wondering if there is anything I can do to fix the problem?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Strat
Solid Rock Guitar Dreadnought

First thing I would do is contact your luthier with your concerns and see what he/she recommends, before doing anything...

mirwa 01-11-2018 09:53 PM

One cannot underestimate the value of having a luthier look at it for you.

What may take you weeks to diagnose can usually only take seconds for them to identify.

Wood reacts with temperature and humidity changes, sometimes we can adjust a truss rod, tweak a fret and its fixed, other times we have to remove frets deal with underlying issues to resolve the problem.

Steve

Ned Milburn 01-12-2018 07:31 AM

I'm guessing the guitar needs some careful fretwork touchup past the 12th fret...

Dirty Bill 01-12-2018 09:35 PM

Possibly the high E string is to low to the fret.Can you measure it ?About .070 should help it clear the fret.

Rodger Knox 01-15-2018 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rals75 (Post 5599676)

Is there a humidifier in the case? Action can drop a bit and cause buzzes when a guitar drys out, and this is the time of year when guitars dry out.

rals75 01-16-2018 12:09 PM

There is not a humidifier in the case and that is something that I have wondered about. I have heard different stories about humidifiers in cases. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a case humidifier?

Thanks again for all the input and everyone's help