The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Sexauer '17 (chapter 2) (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472204)

TomB'sox 10-03-2017 07:57 PM

Haha, yeah even I know Imagine Dragons!!!! My daughter would be freaking out also. That is pretty cool Bruce! Congrats.

IBKuz 10-03-2017 08:39 PM

Cool, they are a very big band in the Alternative music scene. Very good musician/song writers, I have downloaded a couple of their songs over the years. Who knew they would have such good tastes in luthiers :D

Bruce Sexauer 10-05-2017 12:17 PM

Laurelyn and friend did go to last night's Imagine Dragons show in Sac and had a ball, she reports. Front and center tickets, too! She hoped to see my guitar in use, though I would be surprised to see it incorporated in two days, or at all for that matter. Still, she sent me a picture that COULD be it, and said it was brought on stage for just one tune and then taken off again. If anyone could recognize my work in such a chaotic setting (besides myself), it would be her. Definitely unconfirmed.

Although this particular guitar would be a serious overkill indulgence on a rock stage, it is actually highly experience as a performance tool, and would surely be up to it. I used it on less glamorous "stages" something like (wasn't counting) a hundred of times myself over the last 11 years.

Bruce Sexauer 10-05-2017 12:45 PM

I opened my go-to iPhone guitar tuner app, ClearTune, today and discovered it has been updated. I have always tolerated it's finicky needle position as it is easily used and highly versatile, but today it works unprecedentedly well. It's the little things in life, sometimes, that make all the difference. Thank you, ClearTune!

Bruce Sexauer 10-07-2017 07:08 PM

I roughed in Vic's neck today. Just 80 grit over rasp work, but the lines are established:

http://mojoluthier.com/LP17/Vic/neckcarve1.jpg

http://mojoluthier.com/LP17/Vic/neckcarve2.jpg

Cocobolo, logotogo.
http://mojoluthier.com/LP17/Vic/headplate.jpg http://mojoluthier.com/LP17/Vic/neckcarve3.jpg

Bruce Sexauer 10-09-2017 09:49 AM

The air is terrible this morning in Petaluma, but the major fires you may have heard of by now are about 20 miles north of my shop. Still, I am thinking about what to pack.

JDatlen 10-09-2017 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer (Post 5500645)
The air is terrible this morning in Petaluma, but the major fires you may have heard of by now are about 20 miles north of my shop. Still, I am thinking about what to pack.

Really bad at our house as well. We woke up to ash settled all over the place and it looked foggy outside with all the smoke. House wasn't too bad as we kept the windows shut overnight.

Bruce Sexauer 10-09-2017 11:17 AM

I just heard from Howard Klepper and he and Helen are safe. They were evacuated at 2 am last night and he thinks he has lost his home and shop though he is unable to get back into the neighborhood so far.

Nemoman 10-09-2017 11:26 AM

Wow--that's horrible news about Howard. So glad they are safe though.

Stay safe, Bruce--hope the fire keeps its distance from your place.

BradHall 10-09-2017 03:42 PM

So sorry about Howard. We were roused about 3:00 am. Got everything we could loaded up and ready to evacuate, but ok so far. Devastation 4 mi. south.
The smoke and ash are unbeliveably heavy. Hwy 101 has been closed southbound most of the day. Many homes and businesses destroyed. Be safe out there.

BrunoBlack 10-09-2017 04:35 PM

That’s aweful news about Howard. At least he’s safe. Good luck to you Bruce and others in N CA.

Bruce Sexauer 10-09-2017 06:16 PM

Because I can't really tell what's happening from media (They make it look as bad as possible!) I jumped on my KTM and rode the edge of the fire(s) area. Couldn't get to Howard's and the entire ridge looks like a fireplace. Rode the perimeter of Santa Rosa and it looked much better than I expected, not that that'll do Howard any good. Word is SOME homes are still standing on Howard's Bennett Valley ridge, so we can cross our fingers.

There are at least four major fires going near here, and it seems like an unlikely coincidence. I think I read that there are 19 fires in all that sprang up over night, though several are over a hundred miles away. I am guessing there is going to be an interesting though tragic story behind this catastrophe. Perhaps it's just that there's been so much of that kind of drama lately one gets to expect it.

IBKuz 10-09-2017 07:00 PM

My thoughts are with those that have been caught up in this calamity, may they find a way through to safety.

The Bard Rocks 10-09-2017 07:16 PM

you're fired

So sorry to hear that happened to anyone, much less one that we "know" here, one that would have so much irreplaceable wood and tools.

Stuff like that makes me happier to live where I do. No fires, no hurricanes, no tornados, no drought, no tsunamis, and even less snow and cold than was normal before global warming starting making itself known. Not that we are immune to tragedy, it's just less likely.

Bruce Sexauer 10-09-2017 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks (Post 5501147)
So sorry to hear that happened to anyone, much less one that we "know" here, one that would have so much irreplaceable wood and tools.

Stuff like that makes me happier to live where I do. No fires, no hurricanes, no tornados, no drought, no tsunamis, and even less snow and cold than was normal before global warming starting making itself known. Not that we are immune to tragedy, it's just less likely.

Knock on Wood . . . please!

The Bard Rocks 10-09-2017 08:29 PM

knock

The best wood to be able to knock on would be Howard's stash.

jaymarsch 10-09-2017 09:22 PM

I just jumped on here specifically to see if there was news about Howard. Thanks for the update, Bruce. I have been in touch with Svea (a member here) and she is safe after a tense day. I am on the other side of Petaluma from where Bruce is. The good news is the wind is calm tonight.
Wishing the best for every one here tonight.

Best,
Jayne

jmat 10-10-2017 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer (Post 5500741)
I just heard from Howard Klepper and he and Helen are safe. They were evacuated at 2 am last night and he thinks he has lost his home and shop though he is unable to get back into the neighborhood so far.

Such a tragedy, I have been thinking about Howard all day. I hope there is good news but it sounds grim and it is hard to imagine what he is going through.

Bruce Sexauer 10-10-2017 10:33 AM

I haven't heard from Howard yet this morning, but I have realized I know another luthier friend who is probably in trouble. Dimitri Tenev has a ranch with his wife and several horses outside of Ukiah. There is a fire running through there which has made havoc in the Redwood Valley, which is where I THINK Dimitri is. Dimitri showed his extremely original work at the last 2 SBAIC events, and has been in our community for at least 20 years.

M Sarad 10-10-2017 12:34 PM

Dmitri creates unique instruments. The Degrassi’s, Alex and Alison , left their Redwood Valley home yesterday to stay at their local fire deoartment.

Bruce Sexauer 10-10-2017 01:01 PM

I have heard from Howard Klepper: total loss. Very sad news.

jaymarsch 10-10-2017 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer (Post 5501838)

I am so sorry to hear that as I was hoping beyond hope. Sending he and his family my good thoughts to weather the recovery process.

Best,
Jayne

BrunoBlack 10-10-2017 01:10 PM

Quote:

That is a punch in the gut, very sad indeed. But at least it appears that Howard and his family will be able to go on. I hope the fire fighters can get ahead of the fire soon. Good luck folks.

Halcyon/Tinker 10-10-2017 01:12 PM

Jeez, that's a real drag to hear.

Joel Teel 10-10-2017 01:56 PM

Oh, Man 😯
This is so very sad. My heart is heavy...but, let's be thankful that we still have Howard, and let Howard know that he has all of us too.

Love and prayers being sent your way, Howard

Joel

Nemoman 10-10-2017 02:28 PM

Very sad indeed--I also just heard from some dear friends of mine that were neighbors of Howard's in the Bennett Ridge area. Total loss for them as well.

My heart and prayers go out to Howard and all the victims of this tragic event...

jmat 10-10-2017 02:34 PM

Quote:

I was afraid to check back in. Terrible news.

TomB'sox 10-10-2017 03:02 PM

I'm at a loss for words, losing one's house and possessions is beyond words, but then losing years of wood collection and your livelihood on top of it, my word, how terrible. I wonder if there is anything we can do specifically to help?

liltiki 10-10-2017 03:34 PM

Howard and Helen are such kind people. I am heartbroken for them. Unimaginable.

Bruce Sexauer 10-10-2017 03:53 PM

I believe the Klepper's are financially secure, if not we will do the usual stuff. Our emotional support would be the useful thing at the moment, IMO.