The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Martin Custom D Mahogany...Spruce top (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270234)

Legolas1971 10-25-2012 08:33 AM

Martin Custom D Mahogany...Spruce top

Anyone have one of these? I'm about to pick one
up....Give me your reviews!

madhat 10-25-2012 08:42 AM

woooo! im thinkin' it will be sweet!

do post some pictures when it arrives :)

madhat.

Penrith Pete 10-25-2012 09:34 AM

I have played 2 of them. One was good; the other was fantatsic!!!! It is still sitting in Frailers in Runcorn UK and haunts me sometimes. i think he wants a bit too much for it since it has quite a big repair in it. I loved it though.
I have also played several of the rosewood versions and they were all very good guitars indeed. But that mahgnay / spruce custom 15 was just a great guitar. Nie dry hog tone but with plenty of sparkle in the highs.
I would be very surprised if you are anything other than very pleased with this guitar.
Enjoy!
Pete ;)

harryboss1 10-25-2012 05:15 PM

I had one of these a couple years ago and I really liked it. Good Martin sound and playability. Nice low end base sound.

catdaddy 10-25-2012 07:31 PM

I have the previous version which was known as the DSM. Same as the Custom D Mahogany, with slightly different rosette and binding. Its a great guitar. My guess is you'll really like yours.

Brant0086 10-25-2012 08:08 PM

The most important thing is if you like it.

However, I think the D-16GT is about the same price. The Custom D has a prettier tortoise colored binding, and a rosewood fretboard which is a plus. However, I think the D-16 GT (black binding and pegboard fretboard) does offer the hybrid scalloped bracing and a gloss top.
I am definitely NOT trying to talk you out of a Custom D. I just thought I would bring up the differences in the two.

Bryant

Legolas1971 10-26-2012 07:05 AM

Thanks for all the input guys!

I can't wait to get it next week. I'll post pics!

Legolas1971 10-26-2012 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brant0086 (Post 3220852)
The most important thing is if you like it.

However, I think the D-16GT is about the same price. The Custom D has a prettier tortoise colored binding, and a rosewood fretboard which is a plus. However, I think the D-16 GT (black binding and pegboard fretboard) does offer the hybrid scalloped bracing and a gloss top.
I am definitely NOT trying to talk you out of a Custom D. I just thought I would bring up the differences in the two.

Bryant

Hi Brant0086.....I see you have the D16h. I was looking
for one of those as well but they're hard to find. They have
the forward bracing in that model. Too bad Martin stopped
making it.....

Washu-chan 10-27-2012 10:35 PM

I picked up one of these about six months ago and have really enjoyed it. Liked the way the spruce top brightened the tone.